.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road
Default Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail

Thread moved. See more info about the mod here.

Last edited by Burnsaber; May 10th, 2010 at 05:38 AM..
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Warhammer Nation: Bretonnia, Knights of the Grail v.0.6

Thanks Burnsaber! The sprites look great.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

YES!!!!!! DLed now. Can't wait for the updates!

Small personal thing- The nation description seems to have a few odd turns of phrase and wording. I'll just copy-paste below with what I think might be better wordings. Hope you don't mind, just trying to help!

"The glorious nation of Bretonnia rose like an immortal Phoenix from the ruins of Maverni. The first King, Gilles of Bastogne, and a few of his closest knights almost singlehandedly drove out the Ermorian legionnaires with a strength and courage that had never been witnessed on the face of the earth. Since that day, Bretonnia has been constantly expanding. Their well-organized feudal system keeps unrest to a minimum and their brave knights are well known for their skill and courage. The mysterious Grail, an artefact of unknown origin, allows the bravest of them to tap directly into the power of the awakening god. Recently, the waters of the sacred lake have been stirring. Monsters are on the move, harassing peasants. Sacred visions from the mysterious Damsels call for the mustering of all brave knights of Bretonnia. The petty squabbles of the nobles over their fiefs have now ended, and the whole nation is now united and determined to fight for the cause of the awakening god."
The Following User Says Thank You to Trumanator For This Useful Post:
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbarian View Post
Thanks Burnsaber! The sprites look great.
Thanks for the compliment. I took extra care for quality, since being pretty is one of the main selling points of Bretonnia in WHFB. Judging from downloads, it's working here too.

I really enjoyed doing the graphics. Drawing heraldy is just so easy and fun. When I have all the time in the world, I might quickly whip up an additional "skin" for the nation with different heraldy and color schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
YES!!!!!! DLed now. Can't wait for the updates!
Well, to be fair, there probably won't be too many updates other than balance changes for a while. I have CPCS, Holy War & UWGEM to update, There's that metal nation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanator View Post
Hope you don't mind, just trying to help!
No I don't mind. I appreciate all help on the grammar & readability section.

Also, I'd like to remind that I'm lacking in Knight names. I have 71 at the moment, but I'd be more comfortable with 100 names. So if anyone has any suggestions for Frankish Knight names, I'm all ears. Suffixes are also good (Like "Sir Frank the Mighty").

If you need to ask something about modding, you can contact me here.

See this thread for the latest info concerning my mods.
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Also, I'd like to remind that I'm lacking in Knight names. I have 71 at the moment, but I'd be more comfortable with 100 names. So if anyone has any suggestions for Frankish Knight names, I'm all ears. Suffixes are also good (Like "Sir Frank the Mighty").

I'll just throw this out there; I assume you've already tried a Google search on "Frankish names"? Because that returns a whole slew of historical and genealogical references (not to mention baby naming lists )

In case you haven't, here's a few likely looking ones from the first page of results:
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/french.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/mariamnephi...es/franks.html
http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources...val/Franks.htm
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24316
The Following User Says Thank You to Stavis_L For This Useful Post:
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:11 PM

Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavis_L View Post

I'll just throw this out there; I assume you've already tried a Google search on "Frankish names"? Because that returns a whole slew of historical and genealogical references (not to mention baby naming lists )
Yeah I did (lots of those are already implemented), but apparently managed to miss the "Build your own Frankish name" thing. Apparently the adal- prefix means "noble" Then thre is a small list of second elements. Apparently -ger menas "lance". Thus Sir Adalger has a name meaning a "Noble Lance"

Thaks, I'm sure to have lots of fun with this.

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

[quote=Burnsaber;703617]
Thus Sir Adalger has a name meaning a "Noble Lance"
/QUOTE]

Sooooo many double meanings...
Old July 30th, 2009, 10:17 PM

Corporal

analytic_kernel is on a distinguished road

Just had a chance to fire up the mod, and it looks really good.

I did notice a couple of minor things:
(1) "outrider" not capitalized in name of Yeoman Outrider.
(2) The Duke is a magic being. Is this intentional?
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:49 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

2) Yes. The grail knights are also magical. By drinking from the grail the knights are made into something that's not quite human anymore. This is represented by making them magic beings.

Excellent work on the mod burnsaber. And you got it out so quickly, I'm impressed. A few things. One of the commanders, dukes I believe, has in their flavor text something about attracting courtiers? But they don't Are you going to mod that in at some point? If not I think it would be better to remove that line because it gives the impression that they do, considering everything else works as advertised. Also I think your morale values are almost too directly based on warhammer values compared to the other warhammer mods. For example, compare Temple Guards with Grail Knights. Temple Guard have 18 morale to a Grail Knight's 14, despite Grail Knights being immune to psychology and having the same leadership. If anything I think Grail Knights should have even higher morale than temple guard on account of their special rule. I think the bretonnian knights have less morale in general than they probably should have as far as normal dominions nations go. It would also be nice if knights errant could have a somewhat lower resource cost in comparison to knights of the realm to represent their being easier to muster, but this is probably just a pipe dream (I would be in favor of them having the same gold cost as KotR). And I'm not sure how you feel about this but personally I think pegasus knights should be even more expensive (80+ gold), but also have a second hoof attack.
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:13 AM

Colonel

analytic_kernel, thanks for the typo report, added to the fix list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
2) Yes. The grail knights are also magical. By drinking from the grail the knights are made into something that's not quite human anymore. This is represented by making them magic beings.
Hit the nail right on the head there.

Gamleplay wise, it also allows me to restrict the guys who can lead them. +thematicness!

Quote:
Excellent work on the mod burnsaber. And you got it out so quickly, I'm impressed.
Thanks. I had a lot of days off, because seniors started to come back from their summer vacations in my job.

Quote:
One of the commanders, dukes I believe, has in their flavor text something about attracting courtiers? But they don't Are you going to mod that in at some point? If not I think it would be better to remove that line because it gives the impression that they do, considering everything else works as advertised.
Yeah, I need to polish up the description a bit. It's a part of the explanation why they have so high resource cost. It goes a bit like this.

1) Duke is called to war and he of course comes, but he has lands to manage and needs a Steward.
2) Courtiers start pestering the Duke, seeing a shot of finally owning some land (even for a short while, unless should something happen to the Duke....), wasting his time and resources.
3) Dukes absolutely hate this mess, but it has to be done, because they need their steward to be at least somewhat trustworthy. (knights do not really think highly of Courtiers, just recruit some and see their "nicknames").

Quote:
Also I think your morale values are almost too directly based on warhammer values compared to the other warhammer mods. For example, compare Temple Guards with Grail Knights. Temple Guard have 18 morale to a Grail Knight's 14, despite Grail Knights being immune to psychology and having the same leadership. If anything I think Grail Knights should have even higher morale than temple guard on account of their special rule.
Hmm. Kinda true. I'll probably up the morale to 16, the standard effect should take care of the rest. Added to the fix list

Quote:
I think the bretonnian knights have less morale in general than they probably should have as far as normal dominions nations go.
They all have the small standard bonus. Sure the effect is pretty small, but when you stack a lot of them on top of one other..

The nobles are much more courageous when in presence of other Nobles. I mean, think of the ridicule in the courts should the word spread that you fled from an battlefield! You might even lose your fief!

Quote:
It would also be nice if knights errant could have a somewhat lower resource cost in comparison to knights of the realm to represent their being easier to muster, but this is probably just a pipe dream (I would be in favor of them having the same gold cost as KotR).
Well, I rather like it the way it is now. Most people might prefer KotR's, but there are times when you just absolutely need as many lances on the field as possible (like against giants, who can damage even on shield hits, negleting the skill difference).

Besides, you can summon them from the Errantry War spell, so that makes them more common too.

Quote:
And I'm not sure how you feel about this but personally I think pegasus knights should be even more expensive (80+ gold), but also have a second hoof attack.
Don't know. At least in my testing I always went for Grail Knights when I had the gold. A cost increase would just make the difference just too much.

Perhaps I should lift the "cap only" status from them, but limit them otherwise (high res cost?)