.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:11 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Height Maps

I started by making small maps of places I knew. Make a small 20x20 of your neighborhood, places you have gone on vacation... etc. It helps to learn how to think of an area as a 'Hex' and how you will only be able to show a limited amount of features. Every detail is real life, the important 'feel' details is what makes a map.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:30 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Height Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
I started by making small maps of places I knew. Make a small 20x20 of your neighborhood, places you have gone on vacation... etc. It helps to learn how to think of an area as a 'Hex' and how you will only be able to show a limited amount of features. Every detail is real life, the important 'feel' details is what makes a map.
Thanks.I may give your suggestion a try.

=====
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:18 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnt View Post
I'll check on that. In some cases the data we get from Google may be a bit off or there's some missing values that somewhere on the line get interpreted as "0.0" meters and a huge crater appears on map.
Looks like this is partially a bug and partially a data issue: In some cases if the max height difference is just correct, the handler might get an overflow (because the check was $height > HEIGHT_LIMIT, so no equality included in comparison) and instead of having level 15 in place a level 0 ground is created. I'm still inspecting this.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
I would very much encourage and welcome wholeheartedly a map group, guys specialize in making maps and sharing their findings in a way that even I may one day understand.

More even, a map group as a resource where a map challenged maker as myself could submit requests for a map to the map group, with map credits included in the final scenario product.

Map making is such an elusive endeavor for me.

=====
For those of you who may not visit the winSPWW2 forum, this thread shows a Venhola generated map used with the new terrain and terrain laying features found in the CD/extended 2017 version of both games

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=51523

The map itself is in post 17
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:13 AM

Sergeant

dmnt is on a distinguished road

A new version is out, in the user interface you can now specify how many meters one level is (default = 10 meters or 30 feet). Additionally, the height adjustment code was changed with this new functionality.

If the height variation is too high for the meters/level setting then the map generation overwrites that. Later the clipping limits (such as "base level is 150 m of altitude in real world, level 15 is 350 m) might be arbitrarily set. I'm also planning a satellite view map tiles so the end user can see what the terrain looks from above. Useful especially in cases where the open street map data is rather coarse.
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Height Maps

Very Nice ! I'm taking it for a spin now. Thanks !

What's nice about this is you can leave the area in the same place and use stock 10, then use for example.....15 then save them both and compare and then decide what suits the situation the best. I'm trying that now with Goldap as I'm very familiar with it and there is a noticeable difference in the map between stock 10 and 15. Later today I will see what effect that has on the area around Villers-Bocage and if changes the issues I had with the way it was generated

This really is an exceptional game tool you have created. Thanks again

Don
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

For those few interested in map making the attached RAR contains Three maps of the exact same area around Villers-Bocage with contours at stock 10, then 15 and then 20... They fill map slots 994-995-996....use for comparison purposes

......and IF we continue with this there WILL be a "last page" button added to the custom editor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Villers Bocage-sm.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	14847  
Attached Files
File Type: rar VB Maps-10-15-20.rar (226.9 KB, 152 views)
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:48 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
......and IF we continue with this there WILL be a "last page" button added to the custom editor!
Are you saying you will incorporate DMNTs work into the game.
Due to one thing or another I only recently started playing with this.
Its wonderful generates a max size map in 15 seconds or so, trying to create something realistic at this size took dedication beforehand, as in weeks with the time I had to spend on it.
I cant recommend this app strongly enough, try generating a map around a place you have lived or know well then prepare to defend your property.
Old March 9th, 2017, 07:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Are you saying you will incorporate DMNTs work into the game.
Impossible as it requires off-site online systems but the new splatter feature was designed with working with it in mind. I would have included a link in the game guide but I didn't want it swamped
Old March 9th, 2017, 08:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

[quote=Imp;837702]
Quote:
I cant recommend this app strongly enough, try generating a map around a place you have lived or know well then prepare to defend your property.
I had had one and am in the middle of a second game playing on the Goldap map and both have been well above average on the enjoyment scale. It's good to use a map you built yourself