.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 31st, 2008, 06:57 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gem Valley - a SP MA mod

The first sort of gem mine. If they don't have blood magic for you it may be because I accidentally left another mod enabled before I started the game, and I'm pretty sure there were conflicts (one of the nations was ogre kingdoms, and at one point they had a small army of tank demons).
The Following User Says Thank You to rdonj For This Useful Post:
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:19 AM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

I suspect that you have correctly identified the issue.
Old October 31st, 2008, 07:56 AM

General

I think the mana spirits personified are a bit too strong also. The first one I summoned, I scripted to cast soul vortex and attack, and is basically invulnerable to armies. That's too strong for a level 8 spell and 24 gems. And it seems to #onebattlespell invulnerability? All you really need are some mr-increasing items and resistances and you have a very strong sc.

Note that mine is unequippped.

Last edited by rdonj; October 31st, 2008 at 07:59 AM..
Old October 31st, 2008, 09:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
I think the mana spirits personified are a bit too strong also. The first one I summoned, I scripted to cast soul vortex and attack, and is basically invulnerable to armies. That's too strong for a level 8 spell and 24 gems. And it seems to #onebattlespell invulnerability? All you really need are some mr-increasing items and resistances and you have a very strong sc.

Note that mine is unequippped.
Thanks. I'll do something. I've lost quite a few when they solo without equipment, but your comments on the cost are undoubtedly accurate. I'll match cost to some other summons.

I admit to being influenced by Tartarians in summoning costs. It is probably because their cost is not correct that I lean to the cheap side on summons.
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:25 AM

General

Well, with tartarians the base cost to summon one is 10 gems. Then you generally have to GoR them for 20 more gems. This gets you a commander that probably has an affliction, is undead (giving it an additional weakness), and is insane. I believe some of them don't have all slots also. I would say that a naked mana spirit is quite a bit more useful than a naked tartarian. Then you also have to have either the chalice to heal them, gift of health, or a commander with healing. The chalice costs 40 gems, gift of health costs 50 to cast at minimum, and the faerie court spell costs 40 gems (while also being the least efficient method) if you don't have access to recruitable healers.

I could certainly see you losing some mana spirits unequipped, but even unequipped it is looking in my game like it would require mage power to bring one down. I am fighting vanheim at the moment, and I have a second mana spirit that doesn't have enough death magic to cast soul vortex naturally so I'm just using it on attack orders. It isn't invulnerable like the other one, but as a thug it's amazing.
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I'd think a better point of reference for costs would be one of the elemental royalty.

At 50 gems, they have 4 or 5 levels of magic and are SCable with a further 20+ gems of equipment. They don't have full slots, and you can only summon limited numbers of them - both factors which I think would reduce the gem cost of the summon a little.

Since you can get unlimited numbers of spirits, you don't need to equip them to use them as SCs and they have a lot of magic, I guess the cost should be over 50 gems.

I guess they probably aren't seraph-level, so a cost under 100 would be sensible. 60-70 gems, perhaps?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregstrom For This Useful Post:
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
. I am fighting vanheim at the moment, and I have a second mana spirit that doesn't have enough death magic to cast soul vortex naturally so I'm just using it on attack orders. It isn't invulnerable like the other one, but as a thug it's amazing.
Death magic? The mana spirit only has 2E. Another mixed mod issue??
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:14 PM

General

I was about to ask that of you, actually. I'm guessing it's likely as mine are getting 2e, 2d, and a random that seems to be 100% db. This is kind of annoying, wish I'd been paying more attention to that before I started the game.
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:30 PM

First Lieutenant

That's okay. Mine also has big time priest, but that is being reduced also. I just wanted to see what 5H did.
Old November 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
I was about to ask that of you, actually. I'm guessing it's likely as mine are getting 2e, 2d, and a random that seems to be 100% db. This is kind of annoying, wish I'd been paying more attention to that before I started the game.
Somewhere there is utility that fixes the unit number problems. I have not used it myself yet.

In the past I would pore through each mod and manually correct conflicts. I recorded all unit/weapon/etc numbers on the back of a Chinese take out menu (it's great to be organized), but my larger half broke her computer, used mine and decided to clean my office area so she could easier break my computer. Whoops, there goes the "Official" mod number log, and the phone number of my favorite take out restaurant.

As they say "Stuff happens".