.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM

Captain

atul is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Favourite Boardgames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dave View Post
If you're just starting out w/ Agricola, I strongly recommend playing its solitare scenario until you can beat it consistently. Just as w/ Dom3, there's a lot of things that you should get right in SP before trying MP. I got clobbered a lot in Agricola until I took the time to practice it SP.
Ha. My friends routinely gang up on me every time I bring up a new game onto board, claiming it being the only way for someone else to win. And with me practiced? Nah...

...but yeah, currently trying the solo play, family mode first before doing anything else.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM

Private

Tpek is on a distinguished road

Hope I'm not too late.

Sorry for popping up like this, the vast majority of time I'm just a lurker on these boards (I have posted once or twice in the past though), and just noticed this interesting thread.

I actually started playing more and more boardgames lately, I don't have a favorite game, but I do have an ever increasing collection.

I keep a relatively exhaustive list on boardgamegeek:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/Tpek

I must say there are plenty of good board games out there. The problem is, that unlike with Dominions, they have no AI, and it's sometimes hard to find people to play with, more problematic are the games like Shadows Over Camelot (or the similar game Battlestar Galactica) that require 3+ players to even work.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM

Private

Corporal Kindel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by coobe View Post
since there are posts about favourite computer games, i was curious if there are some more boardgame addicts around here besides me

ASL, there can be only one I hardly ever play boardgames anymore, but the boardgames I most enjoyed back in the day included a bunch of AH strategy game titles including: ASL, Third Reich, Civ, Titan, Gunslinger, a few others. Non AH boardgames I enjoyed were Iluminatti (sp?), Nuclear war (those glow-in-the-dark nuclear cloud dice ! ), Stellar conquest (later bought by AH). Still play ASL occasionally via VASL, it's a multiplayer computer game interface for the boardgame. Otherwise, the only boardgames I occasionally play these days are family type boardgames when relatives visit (balderdash, wizards - the card game, some other game played with two decks of cards in which you have to get 5 chips in-a-row on a bingo type board .. can't recall the name of it now).

I did occasionally play some roll playing games back in the day (D&D, Traveller, Champions), but I've always been more of a strategy game fan at heart (I could never get into the acting type mode of roll-playing).
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

Games fine for small groups:

- Cults Across America (Lovecraftian hilarity )
- Twilight Struggle (only played a bit so far, but very interesting; two persons only)
- Blood Feud: New York (three persons, especially -- very unstable; a 'guns under the table' game as mechanics favor attack and distances tend to be short)

Games only for larger groups (pref. seven):

- Empires in Arms (requires lots of time, too)
- Diplomacy
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

jimkehn is on a distinguished road

Two series I have immensely enjoyed were the Europa series by first GDW, and then later, GRD. Never play them anymore. The other was The Gamer's Operational Campaigns Series. Never play them either but I still have them.

Kindel, I also played a lot of SL, but not ASL. Also played some Gunslinger. THAT was a great game. There is an electronic version somewhere, that is very true graphically to the original. I just cant remember who had it. I dont think it was ADC. Maybe a google will reveal it.

OK...here is the url.... http://cryhavocgames.net/Gunslinger.htm. This is a module for an Aide de Camp style electronic board gaming software. There is also a mod here for another program of this genre called Vassal. This looks very good and I had both versions on an older computer

Last edited by jimkehn; July 5th, 2009 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: Found the website
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Private

Corporal Kindel is on a distinguished road

Hello jimkehn:

That’s definitely very interesting with the Gunslinger engine. It does look very familiar to that of the VASL, in fact the first sentence on the VASL website says: “VASL is the adaptation of the VASSAL engine to the ASL game system” http://www.vasl.org/ So I suspect the same designers may have worked on both versions maybe.

But it’s good, I’m very familiar with the vassal engine (as far as VASL) so I’m sure it would work very well for Gunslinger, or other similar games of that genre which use geomorphic boards such as Firefight, MBT, others I can’t think of right off-hand (Panzerblitz/Panzerleader).