.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 4th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road
Default Single player question/

Hi

I posted here before but forgot a question...how good is the single player AI.?..Someone on gamespot message boards said the AI was Bad for single player so i thought i'd ask.
Thank you.
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Single player question/

It used to be pretty worthless. Now I think its great for newbies even up to average players. Of course, it cant compete against the best players but I still think it creates an interesting game. The higher settings get more starter points than you do.

There are things that can be done to make the AI harder but if you get to the "impossible" setting and still feel you need a challenge then ask again.

By the way, the AI doesnt get to cheat in the usual way. The esettings only decide how many points it gets in creating its nation and god at the beginning of the game.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 4th, 2007, 05:43 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

The AI is good enough to beat you for the first times you play. The AI is very easy to beat if you use competitive strategies (say, you rush out for Evocation 4/5 for a spesific spell (Blade Wind, Falling Frots) that your mages can cast a lot and that works against the AI's nation. If you try multiplayer, any strategy you might want to try out will be too advanced for the AI to handle, and you'll defeat it. If you try to find out strategies on your own, the AI will be a challenge for some time, but I don't have any idea about how long it would take. However, even experienced players occassionally die when several AI nations happen to attack at the same time, and some nations and some settings make the AI much more challenging.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

As one can expect of a game with this level of complexity the AI can be summed up as competent and unrelenting but predictable and foolish.

The AI can build and launch several massive armies at you, but these armies will be composed of whatever riff-raff it managed to collect on the way. Same with spells and summons, as the AI will simply use whatever it has handy instead of creating a working strategy. Even a completely beleaguered player can work his way back to supremacy by simply being more efficient.

I can't really compare this game to others I've played. It's sort of on par with Civilization 2 but without any options for diplomacy it's hard to say. It's also a bit like Star Craft with the steady waves of increasingly tough opposition.

As far as I'm concerned it's good enough to be enjoyable, but if you want a sense of real action and suspence you need multiplayer. Just like with any other strategy game.
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

FrankTrollman is on a distinguished road

Deleted
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

If you want to meet the AIs with their national units then play on a small map. To meet them with a variety of indepts then use a medium or large map. To keep them from rushing you too fast, set the independents higher. To meet them quickly set the indepts lower.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks..
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:50 AM

First Lieutenant

alexti is on a distinguished road

I don't think that saying that AI in Dom3 bad is correct. It actually plays relatively reasonable (though straightforward strategy). Its main weakness is that it always plays the same strategy, and it differs very little between different AI nations. So after you learn how to counter that strategy, AI will be easy to beat. Somewhat experienced players normally set AI on impossible - this give some design point bonuses to AI, which isn't that much by itself, but it causes cascade effect because you can't keep armies as large as AI, so somebody declares war on you. Even though you're winning that war you suffer attritition which makes you look weaker to other AI and they promptly declare war on you too. Thus you often end up fighting 4-5 AI nations at the same time which increases the challenge

I've also noticed that in poor games with fast research AI tends to be more interesting. It correctly evaluates importance of magic and starts to use mages actively and because mages are different depending on nation, playing against different nations actually leads to somewhat different games. I don't think that AI "thinks" at strategic level in those cases, but sometimes it comes up with cunning battlefield tactics Overall, I'm impressed by improvement in spellcasting AI. After I've started to play poor games with fast research it became quite apparent.
Old January 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I actually encountered a sneaking AI Yomi army tonight. Yes it was small and ineffective, but I was pleasantly surprised. It almost beat my sad little Lanka monkey province defense.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:19 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ballbarian said:
I actually encountered a sneaking AI Yomi army tonight. Yes it was small and ineffective, but I was pleasantly surprised. It almost beat my sad little Lanka monkey province defense.
I've seen late age Man also use sneaking armies, yet it's rare and usually the armies are 30 units are less. Perhaps Dominions_4 will introduce the modding option of a scriptable AI opponent. I recall some very old games AgeofEmpires2 and WarCraft2 provided this feature which allowed gamers to create some very unique/clever AI opponents.