.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi..a couple of questions from a tightwad?

Hi

I'm an older gamer and i have a lot of games that I barely play..The one game that I got totally hooked on was Alpha Centauri.........I would like to know how immersive the single player for Dominions 3 is......then how much fun is it. how hard to learn?

I guess at 54.95 I need some really honest opinions...

Tom
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM

Sergeant

UninspiredName is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hi..a couple of questions from a tightwad?

Let's see, single-player... As far as immersion goes it's pretty good, (for a low-budget fantasy wargame, which takes it down a few notches) but I found the single-player of Dominions got old sort of fast. There's plenty to discover, but the game itself sort of gets samey when playing against the AI, though I seem to be in a minority that think so. It also has a distinct lack of user-friendliness for multi-player, if you're counting that. (Though I do love the multi-player) As for how hard it is to learn, the game's very complicated in nature, but I found it really intuitive once I finished the tutorial. Even to this day, I'm not sure why.

If it helps, you can download the demo here.
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:36 AM

Private

ttomm46 is on a distinguished road

I did go through the demo but am still on the fence..
Old December 19th, 2006, 12:53 AM

Sergeant

Strages Sanctus is on a distinguished road

I don't like spending that sort of money on a game I won't play much. But when I found out it was a two man developer team I ordered it. Because it means my money will not only give me pleasure (I am really enjoying the multiplayer now) it also fosters a facet of the gaming industry I think needs as much support as possible.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I have played dominions 1, 2, and 3. They all lived on my computers and got play up until a new version of dominions replaced them. I play almost entirely solo. I still find new things to try.

I tend to prefer RPG games to Strategy so I find it kindof surprising that I enjoy Dom so much. I think it can be immersive. There is a wealth of true mythological and historical research put into the game (which makes sense if you know that one of the devs day-job is teaching that stuff). You might check out some of the AAR's in the subforum here which can break into story mode when talking about the games they are playing.

Also some of the reviews. Many of them have by some really strict gaming magazines have commented that this game provides extensive play for the money. Personally, many games Ive spent this much on lasted about a month on my machines so I figure this one is giving me many hours to the penny.

Oh yeah, Im an older gamer also (50).
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:20 AM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Hi TTomm:

If you like turn-based strategy games, then I think you will love this game. It will stay on your computer for a long time and be played for hours and hours and hours. It won't be one of those games that bore you after 2 weeks. More game; Less fluff. (I have been enjoying the game for years.)

The game has a high learning curve. But that just means it will keep you occupied for a long time, which is a good thing. Plus, I suggest that you try both single-player and multi-player. Both are quite fun. MP presents the greater challenge, and there are many ways to enjoy it. There are quicker blitz games. There are long 3-turn/week games, etc.

This is a war game, however. Alpha Centauri involved a lot more infrastructure building than Dominions, which involves more magic research and weapon construction.

Pasha
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM

Sergeant

Strages Sanctus is on a distinguished road

multiplayer can be played by just connecting to receive new turns and submit your turn.

Play by email is also an option.

So multiplayer is great and does not require broadband or continual connection. Although alot of people play blitz games which are quick games over the course of a few hours too.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:11 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

The game is very good. There are quite a few areas which haven't gotten the attention they deserve, but in that respect Dom3 is atleast comparable in those areas to other games. The areas where Dom3 shines-and there are many-are far and away better than you'll find on most, if not all, of similar genres. For the kind of immersion you're talking about to happen, the game simply needs more attention, and you can't blame the designers, because there's only two of them. I held off buying Dom2 precisely because Dom3 is more complete, and I'm gambling on Dom4 being a polished product, but the money has been very well-spent. Part of the fun for me is analyzing the game, it's strengths and weaknesses, and offering advice on ways the game can hopefully be made better in the future. I really feel that I'm being listened to, and that's a big advantage over a lot of other games. The designers-again their are only 2-are right here, basically at your fingertips, they're friendly and willing to be a part of the community. I would say that if you want the very best game possible in this genre, you'd do well to buy Dom3 and then make being part of the community a part of your gaming experience, and do what you can to help Dom4 be a game you really will enjoy above and beyond the standard purchase.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:18 AM

Captain

Ygorl is on a distinguished road

I loved Alpha Centauri - still hoping they'll come out with an even better sequel. The Civilization games are fine, and fun, but Alpha Centauri was great. Dominions (2 and 3, never played the original) are at least as great, in my mind.

I was very happy with the single-player game, until I started playing multiplayer. I can still enjoy a single-player game every now and then, especially if it's actually a hot-seat game against the AI, but multiplayer is just so easy to do and so much richer...

In summary: other games come and go, the Dominions games have lasting appeal. It's the only game I've enjoyed a single multiplayer match for over a year!
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:41 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

Yes, Alpha Centarui and the sequil is one of the best games ever made. I really hope we see more in this line. If Johan and Kristoffer MUST take a break from the Dom series, I hope they will give strong thought to doing an Alpha Centauri-like game. I've got quite a bit of material they'd be welcome to use, concerning a planet, the surface of which is covered in energy "curtains" which allow stable access to and from all kinds of other planets, other realities, other dimensions, etc. and I think it would make a great environment for a sci-fi-esque planet based game. The primary cultures on the planet-their are two, one which was a very extensive hive-society of semi-sentient, full sentient, and non-sentient insectoids, and the other an offshoot which lives underground and is much longer lived and more individual, are facing the apocalypse of the surface civilization because the planet's magnetic field has gone out of whack and there are all these curtains separating points on the map which used to be only a step away, by sometimes hundreds or thousands of miles. In the meantime, to make matters worse, their are things and people coming out of the curtains.