BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old January 30th, 2016, 07:12 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default 10 Years

Incredible just realised I have been playing this game for 10 years now (give or take a month) that is just mind blowing & a true testimony to the quality of the game.
10 Years!!!
More amazing is during that period my breaks away from the game probably only amount to 2 years.
You take a break but just keep coming back either for the challenge because its a thinking mans game or because its had a few tweaks over the years, some of which while seeming minor have necessitated changes in tactics.
The subject matter helps & the fact that its implemented well enough that real life tactics work is I think the big plus, combat feels right.
Strangely enough I think the large number of random factors is a large part of what makes this game. Things go wrong in war & its those moments when you stare at the screen or even on occasion swear at it that really make you think.

I would like to thank Andy & Don for making this great game & more so for persevering with it & still supporting it as I am sure any love for it is now long gone.
Awesome guys.

I would also like to thank my wife for putting up with my addiction & not giving me to much agro over it though I still get grief though for destroying Russian post cold war tanks. She is a worry thinks the ones with the little ERA bumps look sorta cute.
Old January 31st, 2016, 06:35 AM

Corporal

Firestorm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 10 Years

Quote:
She is a worry thinks the ones with the little ERA bumps look sorta cute.

Sounds like how my niece used to get mad at me for machinegunning all the AI hordes.

Like I think I said once before, people are still going to be playing Steel Panthers long after Don and Andy and most of us are dead. Truly an amazing game.

Last edited by Firestorm; January 31st, 2016 at 06:43 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Firestorm For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2016, 12:19 PM

Private

cbblackard is on a distinguished road

Almost 16 years for me!
The Following User Says Thank You to cbblackard For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:49 PM

Corporal

Wiking is on a distinguished road
Heart Re: 10 Years

20 years for me, if you count my first SP game (Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles) which I got at CompUSA the summer before I started Middle School. I got Steel Panthers the following year when mom went on a business trip and picked up the original for me while she was out. Between this and Close Combat for Windows 95 I was totally hooked. Steel Panthers III was a bit of a disappointment to young me about to start High School. Why did I suddenly have 5 tanks for one icon? Why was everything so small? The second game was my first love, but the original was an amusing diversion despite its primitive state, because I loved WW2. Still do.

SPWAW came and went in the early 2000's with me fiddling about with the free version, but I never much liked the SP III engine as much as I liked the SP II one. Imagine my absolute shock when I found out someone was doing a free SP II engine with WW2 content! That was around 2005 I'd wager? Maybe 2006. I only ever played the Windows version of SPWW2 and MBT, so it must have been around that time. I was totally hooked, have been ever since. Even Close Combat has not been able to fully scratch the itch that I have for epic battles, but SP always delivers. And it continues to do so thanks to Andy and Don.

Maybe Gary's Steel Tigers will be a welcome diversion but I suspect that as much as I respect Mr. Grigsby, I'll still come back to his original modded creation more often than not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wiking For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:06 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

20 years for me too give or take, and growing more addicted to the series everyday, truly marvellous games.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:41 PM

Private

cbblackard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oche View Post
20 years for me too give or take, and growing more addicted to the series everyday, truly marvellous games.
Actually, 20 years for me also if you go back to the Grigsby / SSI original versions. I believe I bought the original SP on the day it was released in 1995 and SP 2 on the day it was released in 1996.

I play a lot of wargames, computer and board, and I have yet to see a game as good as SPWW2 / SPMBT. And they never get old.
Old February 24th, 2016, 12:39 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbblackard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oche View Post
Actually, 20 years for me also if you go back to the Grigsby / SSI original versions. I believe I bought the original SP on the day it was released in 1995 and SP 2 on the day it was released in 1996.

I play a lot of wargames, computer and board, and I have yet to see a game as good as SPWW2 / SPMBT. And they never get old.
Neither do your scenarios CB. Your AIW battles are memorable (for various reasons! ), and Totenkopf Attacks for SPWW2 was an especially challenging--and ultimately exhilarating --learning experience. May you live long and prosper. Cheers!

And of course what would we all do without Don and Andy? Their tireless devotion to these remarkable games over many years goes far beyond the ordinary call of duty. Thanks a million guys!

Last edited by jivemi; February 24th, 2016 at 12:48 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jivemi For This Useful Post:
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:56 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Heart Re: 10 Years

I must echo the sentiments of those who posted above me:

THANK YOU Don and Andy!!!!

(started playing in 2000/2001)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:23 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default 17 years for the Steel Panthers Series.

I remember being unable to play the Win Versions because I didn't have enough video ram.

troopie
Old February 24th, 2016, 06:51 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

10 years & I am the new guy
Nice to see DD back & so many of you guys have contributed with scenarios, remember cutting my teeth on some of Mr Blackards, they were quite challenging. Hmm perhaps I should revisit them.

Did play SPWAW for a few years before finding this version but despite the fact they are very similar I don't consider the 2 games in the same ballpark.
It took me a while to get used to the opfire in WINSP & how units would be likely to react. Once over that hurdle I realised this game is actually tactical you need to think far more than in SPWAW

Minor differences yet in my book one game is an ever evolving strategy game while the other just requires a few basic strategies & would appeal more to people who just like running around blowing up tanks.