.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV > Space Empires: IV Classic Threads (Newbie FAQS)

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2002, 12:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Exception E Socket Error (Please Read)

I like many others, have two or three installs of SEIV on my PC. So when I installed the patch, I had to install it 3 times.

1. For my un-modified game (For PBW)
2. Modified game with modified files
3. Mod set up game. For testing mod ideas.

It occured to me that each time I started SEIV, my fire wall would alarm out. I would then prohibit the offending software from "dialing out."

What that did was THIS.

I can understand your need to gather information regarding the amount of times the patch is installed, for the purposes of tracking pirating, but I sincerely hope that you have taken into account that your information is going to be way off base.

To clear the error and to be able to play SEIV Gold, I had to allow the program to send whatever it was it sent each time I started each of my seperate SEIV installations.

What information is the game sending? If its just game stat info regarding installations, then that cool, and I say go for it, but if its other, IE non-seiv info, then maybe we should talk.

Sorry about being so paranoid, I just can't help but recall all of the "uses" personal info can yeild, and what other companies have done to get it. No offense, guys, I'm just being careful.

[ 11 April 2002: Message edited by: Atrocities ]

Old April 12th, 2002, 01:02 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Exception E Socket Error (Please Read)

It is not sending private information’s (Richard said this in another thread, too) but it is sending a "Hello world, I'm here so please sent me in your SE4 games!". I have Zonealarm on my W2K PC. It is set to block all outgoing traffic from SE4 (if I don't play TCP/IP I don't need outgoing traffic). No problems for me here. What firewall are you using?
Old April 12th, 2002, 01:03 AM

Captain

Dracus is on a distinguished road

I don't see any reason why it should be sending any info?
I have like 8 different installs of the game. some for PBW, some for modding and testing and 1 for playing.
Old April 12th, 2002, 01:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

McFae Firewall. I kinda figured it was a "hello" here I am thing. Thanks for the reply Guys.
Old April 12th, 2002, 02:31 AM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Guys we would NEVER have a program collect and trasmit data back to us or Malfador, that is flat illegal.

All it does is try to make a network connection to make sure it can once a network game starts.
Old April 12th, 2002, 02:49 AM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Why do you guys install the game multiple times for modding? I just mod inside a mod subdirectory, and the only things that change outside it are the path file and saved games, and custom shipsets.

I do have three installs on a single machine, but these are for different Versions of SE4 itself (Pre-Gold, Gold, Beta Gold).

The mod switcher util makes it extremely easy... about the only tedium remaining is fiddling with the browse window to get to the right SaveGame directory for PBW.

PvK
Old April 12th, 2002, 05:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Its easier to just open the program you want rather than moving files around each time you need to do something.
Old April 12th, 2002, 07:30 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

"Its easier to just open the program you want rather than moving files around each time you need to do something."

Huh? There's this amazing little file called the Path.txt.. and the modpicker more or less does all the work for you.

Phoenix-D

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:08 AM

Corporal

Resident Alien 2 is on a distinguished road

quote:
Originally posted by [K126]Mephisto:
It is not sending private information’s (Richard said this in another thread, too) but it is sending a "Hello world, I'm here so please sent me in your SE4 games!". I have Zonealarm on my W2K PC. It is set to block all outgoing traffic from SE4 (if I don't play TCP/IP I don't need outgoing traffic). No problems for me here. What firewall are you using?

I have Norton Internet Security 2002 firewall and it has never deteced anything being sent out by SE4. If it did it would prompt me to ask if I wanted to block it or not.

I think SE4 just checks to see that various network components are in place just in case a tcp/ip game gets started up. Doesn't actually transmit.
Old April 12th, 2002, 11:32 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Phoenix-D, I like too keep what I am working on seperate for peace of mind. Thanks just the same, but hay, to each is to own.