.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would you play to the death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
This is one of the drawbacks of Dominions, as I see it -- making a meaningful turn takes me at least an hour. I guess that's a lot of commitment for many people. I'm still very new and havent tried MP yet, and this is certainly one of the reasons why.
I seem to take 10-160 minutes, usually, depending on how far the game has advanced. An hour is common for me! But actually, moving to multiplayer reduced my time commitment drastically. In a singleplayer game, you can take each turn quickly if you want, but there's nothing stopping you from taking a hundred turns in a row! In a multiplayer game, you are forced to rest between turns.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:05 AM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
I keep playing until I am able to make no more impact than the AI would if in control of my nation.
Hey, thanks, that could be a useful criterion to promote. Why shouldn't you turn things over to the AI, if the AI is actually going to be as responsible a steward of your nation as you would have been! You'd have to have a certain amount of experience to be able to judge whether that was the case. But that experience is pretty easy to get--just play with AI's for a while, and play with humans for a while. Neat!
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Captain

Jarkko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragar View Post
I keep playing until I am able to make no more impact than the AI would if in control of my nation. So if I'm obviously losing but can still do some things to make life hard for my conqueror, I will play it out hard.

Once I'm left with virtually nothing and can't do any better than sit there and get rolled over it's time for AI
This is basically my philosophy too. Altough sometimes I am just too damn boneheaded to give up, which leads to frustration and general un-fun. It takes a great lot from me to admit there is no longer anything I possibly could do better than the AI could do
Old July 9th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road

I think I turned ai only once, but then I haven't played that many games.
The reasons I did that were:
Spite. I had done a mistake and lost all chances of doing anything useful.
Spite. I had been explaining I wouldn't be able to play my next turn before a given day, no changes to the time limit were made, and I had something like 10 minutes left to give my orders before going stale. I think ai is better than stale.

I don't think a player turning ai is that bad compared with a player staling forever. I also think if it takes you too long to play the turns (for whatever reason - not easy internet access for instance) and you end up slowing down the players you're better off turning ai (or finding a sub, but that can be hard).
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiCesare View Post
better off turning ai (or finding a sub, but that can be hard).
While fighting to the bitter end makes the player a more valuable ally for future games... I'm surprised people are able to find subs when another player drops. It's like taking over a random life... and usually waking up in the body of a homeless 50-year drug addict who is bi-polar with ulcers. I don't mind fighting to the bitter end from turn_1 when it's my nation... but to take over another individuals mess is usually a nightmare.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Oh, I prefer taking over a sick and dying nation! I'm having a lot of fun with Caelum in Faerun, even though they are totally doomed. It's a challenge to see how long a nation in decline can be kept alive. When it's my nation, it's hard to let go of those dreams of former glory, and I usually play too conservatively. If you are completely doomed then you are more free to experiment. Plus you (hopefully) don't have very many provinces to micro. It's fun just like the early game, and as a bonus you've got access to more advanced research.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
The Following User Says Thank You to vfb For This Useful Post: