.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: Vote on the following items
Hammers should be removed 26 39.39%
Hammers shouldn't be removed 37 56.06%
Dousing Rods should be removed 29 43.94%
Dousing Rods shouldn't be removed 31 46.97%
Gem Gens should be removed 50 75.76%
Gem Gens shouldn't be removed 14 21.21%
Bonus 30%+ Sites should be removed 28 42.42%
Bonus 30%+ Sites shouldn' be removed 33 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Vote

EDM deilberately doesn't add many diversification options. My feeling (and qm's I believe) is that diversification is already too easy, and I didn't want to make that worse. I'd view the Tartarians as being too good for diversification rather than the EDM summons being too bad.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:03 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I sympathize with that sentiment (diversification is already too easy). I'd personally prefer to see dom evolve so that in end game nations would be distinguished from each other and not all having same slew of uber summons.

I think angels for Pyth, Mari & the Israelites only is a good example. You could give the norse nations some endgame summon only for them. Same for the briton island nations, Same for Arco, Ctis etc. As part of such a tendency Tarts (with increased cost) could be made accessible only for the Ermors and maybe a few more death nations.

My vision: end games where different nations actually field different armies. Where not every army has access to all the battle spells from every color.
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

yeah. two things there. tarts too awesome for diversification, and too easy to bootstrap into death because of its boosters.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Sergeant

Slobby is on a distinguished road

why not make tarts crazier?
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Corporal

Festin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
I sympathize with that sentiment (diversification is already too easy). I'd personally prefer to see dom evolve so that in end game nations would be distinguished from each other and not all having same slew of uber summons.

I think angels for Pyth, Mari & the Israelites only is a good example. You could give the norse nations some endgame summon only for them. Same for the briton island nations, Same for Arco, Ctis etc. As part of such a tendency Tarts (with increased cost) could be made accessible only for the Ermors and maybe a few more death nations.

My vision: end games where different nations actually field different armies. Where not every army has access to all the battle spells from every color.
Yes, I fully support this. This is actually the reason I don't care much for the EDM - providing alternatives to Tartarians is great, but not same summons for everyone to use. Caelum or TC summoning Aesir is thematically just wrong.

The ideal EDM of my dreams would probably give each thematically linked group of nations their own national summons, like angels for Marignon-Pythium or Hindu things for monkey nations. Aesir for Vanheim-Helheim-Midgard, Ember Lords for Abyssia, some Lovecraftian things for R'lyeh and possibly Atlantis, etc.
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:50 AM

General

Yes Festin that's exactly what I was talking about

I'm not about to force my opinion on anyone but I'm not just talk either. If the mod makers would indeed come to like this vision I'd be willing to actively help them however I may.

This would be a sight indeed, two opposing armies engage at end game and each is distinct and composed of monsters that mostly fit the thematic flavor of its nation.
Old December 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM

General

Zeldor is on a distinguished road

Well, make a mod like that yourself. And if it's balanced and interesting enough, there is good chance QM will incorporate it in future CBM. Just talking about it will give you nothing.

LA Agartha guide
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM

General

It's not that simple, there are quite a number of considerations, like:

- Incompatibility with EDM's approach of all nations getting all summons
- Possible effect on balance
- My lack of modding knowledge
- My absolute lack of graphical art talent
- My aversion to be in any way in competition with CBM+EDM, on the contrary if such a mod is made and conflicts with CBM then it's not worth much IMO

I could pull such a thing off but not alone and certainly not if its only me that's interested. The way to go about it, as I see it is:
a. Determine if there's demand
b. Determine whether QM and llamabeast think this can ultimately be made part of CBM
c. Get some players who are interested to contribute to design, sprites etc.

or better yet if QM et-al convert to the cause of LESS diversity is MORE
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Sergeant

NooBliss is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, restricting more summons to specific nations is very, very wrong.

It narrows your choices. It makes the metagame poorer. Right now, you strive to have both the beasties from Endgame mod and the Tartarians. If you cant have everything, you focus on something you can do well, but at least you have the choice.
... Not to mention that delving into non-native paths of magic is a unique and interesting part of Dominions.

Remake the most powerful summons into national spells, and you will kill this fun. Do you REALLY want to lock each nation to it's theme?

7 workers, 4 to gold, 3 to wood
4 houses
2 barracks
Upgrade Main hall
(numbers may vary)

Are you trying to make Dominions go that route, too?
Old December 7th, 2010, 09:17 AM

First Lieutenant

Dimaz is on a distinguished road

In principle the idea of restricting nations to their native paths sounds interesting, however my main concern is that it's necessary to have almost all paths in big lategame battles to have any chance. Imagine a battle between 2 armies with SCs and heavy mage support where one side has access to earth (Army of *, Weapons of Sharpness) and another only to water. The outcome is obvious. In current setup Tarts more or less balance this by providing enough diversity to support several armies, but with the 50 gems/tart with 1 level 4 path version, I fear endgame balance will shatter.