.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old December 28th, 2005, 12:19 AM

Private

CaptBenson is on a distinguished road
Default WW: Imperial Star Destroyer mod 1.0

I just wanted to announce version 1 of my Imperial Star Destroyer mod has been completed (spent the last day working on it). Check it out at CaptBenson's Imperial Star Destroyer Mod 1.0! Let me know what you think.
Old December 28th, 2005, 12:20 AM

Private

Default Re: WW: Imperial Star Destroyer mod 1.0

Eeek, I just saw that Tripod isn't happy about me hosting the file there. If anyone would like to host it, I'd love to have it out there as the first step toward a Star Wars total conversion for Weird Worlds. In the mean time, I'll try to attach the file to this forum post and see if anyone can get it that way.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 398427-isd.zip (223.6 KB, 273 views)
Old December 30th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Private

Prometheus is on a distinguished road

It should work fine if people copy and paste the link into a new browser window.

Anyway, I've mirrored the file here

Looks promising, was kinda hoping to see turbolasers firing though ah well, roll on with the next version
Old December 30th, 2005, 11:25 PM

Corporal

ImUrOBGYN is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed building a huge death dealing ship. Nova, multi-missle, tachyon, (giant lightning ball - cant remember name off hand) - Anyway, in one of the games there just wasn't enuf to destroy with about the best of everything on the ship. Good job. Maybe a bit more detail on the ship as the ship appears too bright/white and tends to blur the detail.
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:29 PM

Private

Thanks for the comments! ImUrOBGYN, I'll see about re-rendering the Star Destroyer with the lights kicked down a notch for version 2.0. You'll be happy to know that I've made the ISD a carrier that launches little TIE Fighters for version 2, as well. The only downside is that your system hardpoints are down to 4 from 5, but I think it's worth it. I'm always happy to listen to feedback though.

Prometheus: Thanks for mirroring the file! About those turbolasers firing, did you mean an animated turbolaser or did you just mean you wish I'd used the graphics of a real ISD turbolaser? I wound up just stealing some guns off another ship and modifying them (they started out as missile launchers actually and the missile launcher I used was a particle weapon off a different ship with slight modifications to the color). If I could animate the turbolaser firing, that'd be pretty sweet. If it's possible, let me know and I'll dig into it. In the mean time, I'll work on getting real turbolasers for version 2.
Old January 1st, 2006, 03:11 AM

Private

ImUrOBGYN: Here's a quick update for you. I re-rendered the ISD using an ink and paint material that basically makes it into a 2D cartoon with inked outlines...then I copied just the outlines and blended those with the ISD from before at around 40% opacity. It kinda outlines the details that you were wanting to see. Without doing that, there wasn't a way of rendering the thing so that it looked right. Remember, this is rendered in 3dsmax and then photoshopped for the game. Let me know what you think. I can make the lines darker maybe. I just didn't want to go overboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398901-ISDoutlines.jpg (55.2 KB, 234 views)
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:04 AM

Private

Prometheus: A little update for you as well. Check out the attached pic and tell me your thoughts. I rendered out a turret...looks really detailed in the large pic, but it's basically just a box with two black lines out of one end when I made it smaller I gave it dark edges so you can see them and I made them about half the size as the other turrets were so they'd be more to scale and would hide less of the ISD's hull.

Edit: I think I'll lighten up the outer edges of those turrets so they blend in a little better. They look too superimposed right now. Just imagine they blend in better. Yeah.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 398904-ISDTurrets.jpg (55.3 KB, 271 views)
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Private

jpinard1 is on a distinguished road

How is the new version of this mod coming? I'd love to play with it (version 2)
Old January 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Private

At the moment, I've come across a problem with points. I've been getting scores under 20k as a result of some changes..except I haven't changed any of the scoring stuff in my mod. I suspect it's the result of the fighters being destroyed, but the last time I played with my Corellian Corvette (yes, it's done!) I chose not to recruit the girl with the ISD. I played carefully and didn't lose any ships or anything. With the cargo I brought in, I should have easily gotten 30k points, but I wound up getting just shy of 20k. When I use the ISD, I'm getting around 17k. I need to figure out what's causing that. At this point, I'm considering getting rid of the hangar bay entirely. I just have a feeling it has to do with the fighters getting shot down. The little TIE Fighters are cool so I'd like to keep them if I can.

I'm going to post a picture of the corellian corvette so you can see some more of my work. I've named it an Imperial Diplomatic Corvette and gave it blue markings where the rebel ones generally have the red markings in games. It will make things easy when I need to make a corvette for the other races (put your vote in now for what races you want to see). I can just modify that image file and be done with that part, practically. Also, I may have signed up someone to help with making new weapons and equipment for the Star Wars Total Conversion mod. Judging from recent responses via email and in the forums, there's a desire for version 2.0. I'll see if I can resolve the scoring issue and release the Corellian Corvette along with the updated ISD for version 2.0. After that, you'll just have to wait for the total conversion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 401241-Corvette.jpg (46.5 KB, 231 views)
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Private

MajorDiarr is on a distinguished road

Have you tried lowering the value of the TIE Fighters to 0 or 1?