This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old September 1st, 2005, 02:32 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gas Prices

One of my coworkers drives about an hour to get to work each day and another hour to get home. He got a house far from the city center because houses are less expensive out there and he could afford to buy a nice big house. Now he's crying because gas expenses are eating up so much of his money and he has to fill up his tank every few days, even with carpooling. The poor guy says he's hardly making any money from the job because the commuting cost is so high.
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:00 AM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

Hey capitalism at work baby! Supply and demand, etc..

If you don't like it I hear fuel is pretty cheap in Communist China. Of course that's because if it isn't cheap then everyone at the state owned oil company is shot.
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:08 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

The chines will rule the world one day and the those of people still left alive after the world wide genocide will be little more than food stock and slaves.
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:31 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kamog said:
One of my coworkers drives about an hour to get to work each day and another hour to get home. He got a house far from the city center because houses are less expensive out there and he could afford to buy a nice big house. Now he's crying because gas expenses are eating up so much of his money and he has to fill up his tank every few days, even with carpooling. The poor guy says he's hardly making any money from the job because the commuting cost is so high.
What does he drive? An SUV? Or something with a reasonable level of fuel economy? If the public reacts properly this might actually turn out to be a good thing. Maybe Americans will finally think about how much energy they are using and start to buy cars, appliances, etc. that are efficient.
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, the high prices are having an environmental effect and that is one of the only good things about this.

Ok here's the problem now. Fewer people are buying gas now, so many states are loosing tax revenue so in response they are going to hike their gas tax to compensate for lost revenue. [shaking head] It figures.
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Here is a link to the Hawaii state gas cap law I mentioned.
Gas Cap Law
Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road

Today I filled up the car and the price was $1.188 per liter! The gas prices keep going up higher and higher!
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:35 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

Get used to it! The oil companies now know that we will pay this kind of money for gas. They will keep the prices up there until there is no more oil on this planet to sell us. I find it funny how they still say that alcohol is still to expensive as a gas substitute. How high do gas prices have to go before we can get a cheap and readily available alternate source?
As long as we keep using oil products the demand will always exceed the supply. We need more refineries! We have more then enough oil, but if you can't refine it, it will never get to market. The oil companies have used this to keep their price up there and now with the loss of the Gulf States refining we have a major shortage because companies wanted to keep supply to the point of maximizing their profits. It's backfired and people are pissed. NOW people will demand that the oil companies account for themselves and we will all be waiting for the next quarterly statements, where their profits will be way up there despite new and replaced equipment they will have to replace from the hurricane.
Old September 4th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Major

El_Phil is on a distinguished road

1. Oil Company. Company. It's their job to make money, it's like complaining about a cow eating grass.
2. I'll put money that their profits will be up. And that most of that will NOT be from petrol, it's the other uses of oil that make money, petrol is a minor part of their trade.
Old September 5th, 2005, 01:51 AM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road

Quote:
El_Phil said:
1. Oil Company. Company. It's their job to make money, it's like complaining about a cow eating grass.
2. I'll put money that their profits will be up. And that most of that will NOT be from petrol, it's the other uses of oil that make money, petrol is a minor part of their trade.
1. How much profit IS ENOUGH? Where should we be looking at profit versus being taken to the cleaners. All companies are in business to make money, I understand that part. Most companies have competition within their product line. Wouldn't it be nice to have an alternate fuel source for them to compete with? Most companies now operate as borderline monopolies. They buy out their closest competitors and leave the weakest of their competition to survive.

2. All oil products must still be refined into their final state. Oil, gas, tar, plastics, what ever the final product is, it must be refined! We should be experiencing a shortage of plastic shortly! I guess all those "blacktop" road projects will be at risk too!