.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old August 26th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Major

st.patrik is on a distinguished road
Default Silent Seas AAR

Shrapnel has graciously given permission for the Dom 3 testers to post AARs now that the game has gone gold. As such, I thought I'd fire up a small game with one of my favourite new nations and write it up.

So, without further ado...

Welcome to Kailasa
Kailasa is a nation of monkey people, living in dense forests. They revere the Yakshas, a race of semi-divine beings which inhabit the sacred slopes of Mount Kailasa. Now the rightful ruler of the Yakshas has come, to lead them and their monkey followers out of the sacred woods to conquer the known world.

Pretender Design
Kailasa in the early era, like many nations, doesn't have particularly advanced armour. The monkey peoples range from the fairly useless Markatas, who throw sticks and stones at their enemies and don't wear armour, to the big Bandar apes, who wield maces, longbows, or swords and sometimes do wear armour. However, the jewel of the Kailasa military are the Yakshas themselves - particularly the falchion-wielding Yavanas. They don't really wear armour, but they have a great attack and a great defence, and are sacred, as well as inspiring awe.

Because of this, my pretender design will centre around a bless strategy. I want particularly to give them a water blessing, to boost their already impressive defence, and make them move faster towards their opponents (so they have less time being fired upon). On top of this I want Astral magic, so reach some of the really cool national summons available to Kailasa.

So enter Ghanivallika, Mother of Gods, Goddess of Many Names, Goddess of Dreams, Symbol of Unchallenged Victory, Guide of Heroes. She is a Lady of Fortune skilled in Water magic (9) and Astral magic (4). She herself is imprisoned right now, which means that the last vestiges of last pantokrator's power still hold her in check, but the bonds are weakening, and soon she will be free. She rules an orderly realm (and hopefully therefore prosperous), which is quite hot. Her land is also inclined towards magic, though the inhabitants are a tiny bit slothful. Most importantly, her dominion is very strong (9), so lots of sacred troops will be able to be recruited in her cities, and her dominion will spread, eventually over the whole world.

Game setup
I am using the Silent Seas wraparound map (45 land, 8 sea), and have 3 random opponents - one of each of the three AI types: standard, defensive, and aggressive. I want this game to be a challenge, so I set the AIs to difficult AI, which should give them a little bit of a boost. I also upped the Independant strength a little (up to 7) and gave everyone 3 provinces to start with, rather than just one.

Now the stage is set. The new gods will awaken and the world will once again be thrust into chaos, until Kailasa emerges (hopefully) as the great power, and Ghanivallika is undisputably the ruler of the earth.
Old August 26th, 2006, 07:34 PM

Major

Default Re: Silent Seas AAR

Turn 1
I find myself somehow able to communicate with my people, who reside in the southern reaches of a huge forest that covers four provinces. My fortified city is currently under the command of Abhiviraja, a large Bandar ape. I also have Chabila, a particularly intelligent Markata, who claims to be able to scout enemy territories and bring back information on troop movements. While doubtful about the accuracy of his information (I'm not sure Markatas can count) I will send him out, if for no other purpose than discovering what other nations exist.

In addition to Abhiviraja and Chabila there are 20 Markatas who someone saw fit to give small bows to. I can't imagine them doing much good with these, since the bows only cause 6 damage, and their precision is a lousy 8. In addition to the Markatas are a group of 15 Atavi Infantry. Atavi are warriors of forest tribes which belong to the Vanara caste. These Atavi are armed with maces and bucklers, and are stealthy (as are the Markatas). They also fling a variety of things at their enemies, including sticks and stones.

In addition to my home province, I have two other provinces, one to the west where the mountains begin, and one to the south which looks to be a wasteland. The mountainous western province seems to contain a Mine of Superior Iron, which should be helpful, since it's right next door to my fortified city (although I have very few resource-intensive troops). The southern wasteland seems to contain, of all things, the legendary Horses Vale, where I can recruit extremely fast light horse-warriors. I can also recruit Garnet Amazons there, who specialize in fire and blood magic.

The first order of business is recruit some Yavanas (Falchion-wielding Yakshas). While I could get more Bandar or Atavi, I think the Yavanas will be useful longer, and perhaps more effective. My dominion is strong, so I can recruit nine Yavanas. I have a little money left over (though not enough to recruit a researcher), and I notice that a group known as Victor's Villians are hiring themselves out as mercenaries, and only charging 30 gold. I bid 32, so maybe I'll get some cannon fodder for the front lines.

I send Chabila south in search of other nations that might challenge me. Abhiviraja I send to the northwest, to check out what is in the rest of this big forest. Bandar are not stealthy, so I give him strict instructions to come back at the first sight of trouble.

Nothing more I can do, especially as I am trapped outside the fabric of the world. I enter meditation.
Old August 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Major

Turn 2
Good News: I suceeded in convincing Victor that his Villains would be most comfortable working for Kailasa. Even better, a fallen Devata called Devasura turned up at my gates, seeking acceptance into my kingdom at the cost of his perpetual service. Devasura was banished from the Celestial Sphere and turned to blood magic as a way to regain his lost power. I accept his service but warn him to not participate in blood magic rituals (unless I command him to of course). I had been planning on elevating Abhiviraja to the role of prophet, but Devasura will make a far more suitable captain. A picture of my mercy (in accepting such a one), but also a threat to my enemies, by revealing what terrors I could unleash on them. No-one likes a blood-hunt.

Abhiviraja returned from his foray deeper into the forest. He got through the forest as far as the shores of a large inland bay, where he encountered a band of Ichtyids. Foul creatures attempting to take over the holy wood that is mine by right! I will kick them back into their watery domain. The good news is that his exploits have won him respect, and he is well on his way to becoming a great hero. He has found great reserves of strength that no-one realised he had.

The identity of one of my opponents is now known: The nation of Caelum raised up a Tempest Lord as a false prophet to challenge my name, and news of it has reached me.

Next turn I will attack, but for now I bide my time. Nine more Yavanas are trained on the slopes of Mount Kailasa. This time I have enough extra gold to hire a Yogi - a white-furred Vanara with some small skill in astral magic. He will begin the research that will allow me to summon greater allies which now are scattered.

I send Abhiviraja northeast this time, to get a closer look at what the forest holds in that direction. Reports suggest the wolf tribe may have taken up residence there. Devasura enters the temple to meditate on the new and important role I have for him. Victor lolls around the palace, trimming his fingernails with his dagger, glancing cynically around. He will be singing a different tune when he and his men are on the front line in the next conflict.

No news yet from Chabila - apparently he's visiting the Garnet Sorceresses on his way south. Women love monkeys.
Old August 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Screenshots please.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old August 27th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Major

I wasn't sure that was ok, but it is, so screenshots will be forthcoming
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Pretty cool, can't wait to hear more.
Well... Read more, but you get my point
Old August 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM

Major

turn 3
All hail the arrival of the prophet of the Queen of Kailasa, the Mother of Gods, the Goddess of Many Names, the Goddess of Dreams, the Symbol of Unchallenged Victory, the Guide of Heroes, Ghanivallika the Lady of Fortune. Devasura re-emerges from his long exile redeemed and powerful in the might of the coming god.

In other news, some magic astral gems were found in the southern province. Some being two, in this case. Abhiviraja returned once again from his foray into the northern forest, reporting that the rumours of the wolf tribe taking up residence there are true, but that they do not have a strong force - mainly archers, although there was a shadowy figure at the back who could have been a shaman.

Chabila sent the report that he has found a land settled by a strangely garbed people with a foreign appearance. On hearing further details it would seem that he has found the ancient and dangerous kingdom of T'ien Ch'i. Their strength is as yet unknown, but they are close at hand. I commanded Chabila to get a little closer and try to ascertain numbers, although I think his answer will be limited to either 'few' or 'lots'.

While I continue my recruitment of Yavanas, this turn Devasura will lead all our available troops north, to claim the forest in its entirety. First we will throw the detestable Ichytids back into the sea, then move on to the wolf tribe. Victor's Villains take the left flank, with orders to fire their bows. I put my Atavi on the right flank, with orders to hold for a couple of turns before attacking. In the center, and a little back, I place the 18 Yavanas I have trained. They will attack straight up the center after being blessed by Devasura. The Markatas I put on the flank to attack the back; who knows what they'll actually do.

After my costs I am just 1 gold shy of recruiting another yogi to help with the research that the first (Das) has begun. I commanded Das to invoke the strange formulas of Alchemy to transmute an earth gem to 20 gold, in order to have enough to hire the second researcher. After this Das starts poring over old texts in an attempt to figure out techniques to call upon magical reinforcements.

-------------------------------

Here's Abhiviraja - 'Smile for the Camera'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440613-turn3abhiviraja.jpg (490.0 KB, 308 views)
Old August 27th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Lieutenant General

Nerfix is on a distinguished road

Oooh, it seems that you're doing well so far. Good luck and thanks for the screenie.

"Boobs are OK. Just not for Nerfix [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Smile.gif[/img] ."
- Kristoffer O.
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Major

turn 4
Good and bad news this month: My forces quickly overthrew the Ichytids, only losing one Yavana and two markatas in the process. Most of the Ichytids were too awed by the presence of the Yavanas to even strike them.

The province I conquered seems nice enough, although it seems that an air of unluckiness pervades the place. In the depths of the forest Devasura found the Academy of War, which trains soldiers in the ways of battle.

I discovered the identity of my last adversary, when Vanheim proclaimed his own false prophet. I also discovered, much to my displeasure, that Caelum lies to the north, on the other side of the great forest, and in fact has ventured inside it. T'ien Ch'i has advanced north and now a small force lies on my (unguarded) border.

I immediately order a mobilization of local militias in all my provinces. Because of this I can only recruit eight Yavanas this month. Devasura and Victor attack the wolf tribe - hopefully Caelum will attack them too and we will be able to defeat Caelum's expeditionary force. 'Oh my mistake, I didn't mean to destroy your pitiful army. Is that really the best you could do?'

Abhiviraja is returning to the capital to collect more troops so that they can be brought to the front lines.

All the nation is in readiness for war.
Old August 27th, 2006, 07:20 PM

Major

turn 5
Thankfully neither Caelum to the north nor T'ien Ch'i to the south attacked me. The only thing that really happened was that I drove the Wolf tribe out of the forest. Victor's Villains took the brunt of the arrows and ran from the field. This was not unexpected, and it allowed my Yavanas to get close enough to decimate the tribesmen. My Markatas ran into the fight and managed to take some losses, but overall a pretty good result.

The Wolf tribe may have been drawn to the site by the presence of the Cedar Pillars, a site which produces magical gems and makes the casting of Enchantments cheaper.

I'm uncertain of how I should proceed. I am tempted to attack Caelum, but am unsure of my strength compared to his. But I think I will be bold and attack his forces nonetheless - maybe I can take him by surprise. Victor (sans Villains) and Devasura will attack the last and north-most part of the forest, which Caelum currently holds.

Abhiviraja returned to the capital and now complains that he doesn't feel comfortable leading the new Yavanas, since they are magic beings. Oversensitive Ape! I will have to recruit a Yaksha or Yakshini to lead them. First though I will call a Vanara Guru, to site search and ferry troops north.

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 440655-Guru5.jpg (130.8 KB, 320 views)