.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is difference from Dominions II???

Dont be so critical cainehill imo it has changed for the battle(most overpowered things have been weakened but blesses are very good now).

Alot of new nations, units, spells and the addition of national summons is very nice.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:25 PM

Major

Teraswaerto is on a distinguished road

Cainehill is just living up to his sig, bitter taste indeed...
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cainehill said:

New and improved game inbalances and bugs. More double-blessed sacred troops, a detested age system, shields more effective against arrows than air shield or maxed air blessing, the AI not reducing castle defense properly when sieging, less variety because special dominions were removed, etc.
There aren't that many more double-blessed sacred troops that are overpowering, the few that are good are just much better than they used to be. Still, it is rather visible in blitzes. Vanheims, and Helheim, are exteremly strong as an example.
Many people dislike the aging system, but many others find it fitting. No one actually likes their expensive mages dying, of course, but few people like how it sometimes makes most expensive mages worse for e.g. research than younger ones.
Shields AREN'T more effective than Air shield, even though going through the formula math would suggest so.
There is some kind of a bug that makes AI inefficient at besieging. There are many other bugs, too.
Themes have been removed, so the recruitable troops will always be the same when someone plays a spesific nation. Of course, the fact that randoms have been changed and/or limited to be spesific to nation and mages, and the fact the old summons most often used to diversify magic have also changed, makes differences between nations' magics more widespread. That improves diversity. The fact that national units are used also increases diversity. Of course, it's not as diverse as it would be if the themes were still in AND we had these changes, as they change diversity of slightly different things and in slightly different ways.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Private

Captain_Kremmen is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I appreciate the effort. Deffinitely sounds like an evolution of Dom II rather than a revolution.

Unfortunately I only play it single player, so not sure yet whether a good buy for me. As I live in the UK it can be expensive.

The changes you mention all sound good, and I do like the sound of the manual

Ta

Andy
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:54 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

I live in the UK and play alot of SP too, its great . You should try to get into some MP server games as you only need to give up a few minutes each day, you get alot of time to think about your next move and its both fun and challenging.
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:40 PM

BANNED USER

Cor is on a distinguished road

Currently I play only single player as well. I played dom2 for 2 years and loved it. I had the same concerns as you. The demo doe not give a good view of the changes made in the game. It was well worth the money. This is from a guy who usually never spends more than $10 on a game.
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Sergeant

Horst F. JENS is on a distinguished road

Maybe i overlooked it in the prior postings: The new battle graphic engine shows actually the damage of each hit with red numbers. Much like in World of Warcraft or Guild Wars.
I also play mostly single player but won't go back to Dom2.
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Captain_Kremmen said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the effort. Deffinitely sounds like an evolution of Dom II rather than a revolution.

Unfortunately I only play it single player, so not sure yet whether a good buy for me. As I live in the UK it can be expensive.

The changes you mention all sound good, and I do like the sound of the manual

Ta

Andy
Dom3 is actually cheap for UK buyers because of the strong pound at the moment. You will pay around 34.99 pounds for Dom3 at the moment if you order from shrapnel games using a credit card, this includes posting and packaging. Most UK games are 35 quid new, the collectors editions are 40 - 45 quid at the moment for most games. So Dom3 is a bargain for the weeks/months/years of play it will give you.