winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > KE Studios > War Plan Pacific
Notices

Old December 9th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Private

WallysWorld is on a distinguished road
Default Production and convoy questions

I have really only two question so far about the demo:

1) Concerning the production or reinforcements that each side receives, does the player have any impact on the number and type of ships, planes or forces that each side receives? Or is it strictly based upon historical data?

2) What is the purpose of convoys? I understand the landing task groups are used to conquer bases, but what about convoy groups?

I'm having fun with the demo so I simply must write congratulations on the release. This game appears to be a winner.
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Sergeant

JMHawkins is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Production and convoy questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallysWorld View Post
I have really only two question so far about the demo:

1) Concerning the production or reinforcements that each side receives, does the player have any impact on the number and type of ships, planes or forces that each side receives? Or is it strictly based upon historical data?.
Warships come along on a historical timeline. Transports are semi-random (but weighted so the Japanese get more early, and the Allies more in the later game).

Land based aircraft reinforcements only arrive at friendly bases that are patrolled by a warship that turn (any size ship will do, but it can't be run of or sunk by the enemy).

Quote:
2) What is the purpose of convoys? I understand the landing task groups are used to conquer bases, but what about convoy groups?.
Convoys are a way to quickly build up the port and land-based aircraft at a friendly base. They will increase growth by 5x to any base (other than the one they start at) that you send them to (if they get through, that is).

Quote:
I'm having fun with the demo so I simply must write congratulations on the release. This game appears to be a winner.
Thanks!
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Private

Thanks for the info, John.

Another question about the fog of war. Are the enemy forces we see when we click on enemy bases 100% accurate? Or this is certain degree that the forces listsed might be wrong?

Last edited by WallysWorld; December 9th, 2008 at 04:04 PM..
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:45 PM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road

A note on Convoys. You MUST use them the turn they appear on, or you lose them.

Enemy forces that you see are 100% accurate...you just don't know what their mission will be.
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Private

Curious is on a distinguished road

Speaking of fog of war, there doesn't seem to be much of it in the demo. It needs to be improved (there needs to be more fog).

CB
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:25 AM

Sergeant

The ships you see in enemy ports are the ships that are based there between turns, but as Strider said, you don't know where those ships are actually headed. A large force of Japanese ships at Truk might be headed off to invade Guadalcanal, or Palmyra, or they could split up to patrol several Japanese bases. They will probably be headed for somewhere in South Pacific, but you don't know exactly where.
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Sergeant

MarkL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMHawkins View Post
The ships you see in enemy ports are the ships that are based there between turns, but as Strider said, you don't know where those ships are actually headed. A large force of Japanese ships at Truk might be headed off to invade Guadalcanal, or Palmyra, or they could split up to patrol several Japanese bases. They will probably be headed for somewhere in South Pacific, but you don't know exactly where.
I have found that the fog of war is good enough, like John and Strider have indicated you have no way of knowing where they are headed and that is what matters, not where they are.

Cheers MarkL
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Private

That is true not knowing where the enemy forces will move to that turn. I've been caught off guard more than once by an unexpected enemy move.

Another question, if you don't mind:

1) Does it matter the size of the force set to patrol an area in order for the base to build up its planes and supplies? Or will 1 single ship on patrol do the same as 10 ships in a task force assigned to patrol? I'm asking just in terms of building up the base.
Old December 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallysWorld View Post
That is true not knowing where the enemy forces will move to that turn. I've been caught off guard more than once by an unexpected enemy move.

Another question, if you don't mind:

1) Does it matter the size of the force set to patrol an area in order for the base to build up its planes and supplies? Or will 1 single ship on patrol do the same as 10 ships in a task force assigned to patrol? I'm asking just in terms of building up the base.
Any warship will do, even a single Light Cruiser (transport groups and convoys do not count by themselves, they need a warship alongside).

But, your ships do need to survive without withdrawing, so if you send a single CL to patrol a base, and the enemy sends a couple of CAs to raid it, you probably won't get any base expansion that turn (in fact, the bombardment will probably damage it).