.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Kaleva, Songs of Sorcery - 0.87 released

Here's my slowly-updating mod, started a long time ago. The original idea was to make a mod based on Kalevala, the Finnish epic. It's since changed into a mod loosely based on Finnish mythology in general.

There are many omissions. It uses Bogarus flag, the nation has no description etc etc. There are some minor changes in the 0.87 version, but the only important ones are that Sampo is now properly unique, and that old saves are now incompatible because I increased the unit numbers to avoid conflicts with other mods (Conceptual Balance 1.3).

Magical access: good Fire, Nature; mediocre Death, Water, Earth (summons); good heroes.

The best mages are young, recruitable anywhere and vulnerable to magic

Troops: Stealthy hiisi (=vaetti) and human infantries and archers, stealthy moose cavalry, fast vanir-like cavalry with magical attack.

Priests: weak, stealthy, all Nature mages can spend gems to cast Fanaticism (Spellsong of the High Heart).

Here's the thread where I originally posted my ideas, if you want to see how the mod developed. It's not that interesting, IMO.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kaleva.zip (30.2 KB, 1316 views)

Last edited by Endoperez; September 28th, 2008 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: added link to original thread
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Endoperez For This Useful Post:
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kaleva, Songs of Sorcery - 0.85 released

I'll give it a whirl tonite. Thanks very much.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM

General

Awesome job Endo, it's very much like I imagined it would be after discussing it over the months.
I love all the national spellsongs. Spellsong of the High Heart is great... a battlefield wide Sermon of Courage. And those low protection troops are going to need all the courage they can get. Can't wait to eventually cast Construct Sampo. What exactly does it do?
The troops seem adequate for fighting indies early. I've just used Axemen and Hiisi and moose brothers so far. The axemen seem to be a good cheap meatshield, you can mass Hiisi behind them, and the moose brothers are just awesome. They don't look tough, with the low protection, but I haven't lost one yet (lost a couple of riders), and they have been devastating on attack rear. I'm about to try the light cav. They look interesting.

The mages are probably the highlight of it all though. The spellsingers are the crux of the game, and they do seem quite powerful, though the low MR is something a player will have to take into account and plan for. I also like the little all randoms Sorcerers. I guess you could recruit those without a lab?

The spellsinger sprite seems a little underwhelming, but I'm sure you know how they should look better than I. I had expected something a little more grandiose, but no complaints. Maybe Kristoffer could whip something up if you asked him nicely.

This looks really fun. Thanks for all the hard work you put into this.
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingchih View Post
Can't wait to eventually cast Construct Sampo. What exactly does it do?

The spellsinger sprite seems a little underwhelming, but I'm sure you know how they should look better than I. I had expected something a little more grandiose, but no complaints. Maybe Kristoffer could whip something up if you asked him nicely
Sampo generates supplies and gems, is a F1 mage and has alchemy bonus (he needs magic to be able to alchemize). You probably need the hero Ilmarinen to make it.

Actually, Kristoffer already whipped up something. To be more precise:

- Spellsinger sprite is LA Ulm Wolfherd.
- Wiseman sprite is from one of the two Vanarus sprites that currently exist.
- Väinämöinen is one of the Ancestor Smiths with different sword, IIRC. Or perhaps EA Ulm Antlered Shamans with the antlers cut off and sword as a weapon.
- Two other heroes are from LA Bogarus and LA Midgård, including magic and parts of the description.
- I think Ilmarinen, the smith-hero, still lacks a sprite. If he still turns up as a naked giant, that's still Kristoffer.
- Sampo sprite is from the Ma Pythium pretender who's carried on a palanquin.
- Näkki is R'lyeh's Shambler Thrall.
- Gnome is Gnome, red cap and all. He's a rare independent mage available from some sites.
- Otso-bears or whatever I called them use one of the existing bear sprites IIRC. Perhaps Fall Bear? They're basically Kithaironic Lions with Great Bear base stats.
- Axeman, Huntsman and the hunter chief sprite are all from the MA Man axeman.
- Hakkapelite sprite is from the DomII Tuatha rider. I don't remember if I edited anything besides the spear; they look quite different without glamour.
- Herdsman sprites are from Deer and Wolf tribals, IIRC. I made the lasso and gave them legs that are in different pose.
- Hiisi and Moose Brothers are Vaetti, or perhaps Bakemono. I'm not sure any more, I made their graphics first. Hiisi sorcerers are Bakemono sorcerers.
- Bear Tribe sprites weren't changed.
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:09 AM

General

I got Ilmarinen already. He has a nice sprite. Seems like he should have a forge bonus though? He does not.

The almost complete lack of sacreds is a bit bothersome, but if it is thematic, then no problem. Upkeep has not so far been a problem at all.

Ahh, I see the sacreds now. They are summons.

Last edited by Lingchih; August 28th, 2008 at 02:12 AM..
Old August 28th, 2008, 02:41 AM

General

Wow, I'm liking this more and more. The magic path combos along with the national spells are incredible. The stealth factor is greater than Pangaea's.

I think this nation should go into the game in a future update. It is really unique, and well done.
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:03 AM

Edi is on a distinguished road

I added this thread to the new mod list. It might be a good idea to link the old design thread from the first post, because it could be instructive for interested parties to see how it developed and what was discussed during the desiogn process.
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:35 AM

General

Sorry that you and I seem to be the only ones interested in this very nice mod Endo. Thanks very much anyway.
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I'm interested, and excited about it-I just can't play it to give an opinion on it.
Old August 30th, 2008, 02:43 AM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> Sorry that you and I seem to be the only ones interested in this very nice mod Endo.

No way!

I'm interested! More than in most mods! I just avoid interfering in your creative processes