.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > ProSimCo > BCT, ATF, AATF and Battle Group Commander Series
Notices

Old September 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM

Private

Sertorius is on a distinguished road
Default ATF: LOS Fan

I recently bought this game and I have a question about the LOS fan. Whether I use the tool bar or the view menu to activate the fan I am only able to get the unit or PLT/CO to highlight and nothing else. Out in the open it works fine. I am using a left click. It worked twice at the begining and that has been it. It also works with units/formations in the period before the clock is started. Is there a trick here that I may be missing?

I'll add this. I have found a way around this problem, but it is somewhat cumbersome.

The game has all the patches and I have utilized the "repair" feature on the installation C.D. in an attempt to make this work as described in the manual.

While I'm at it I'll ask this as well. Has anyone been able to utilize the fire "at my command" (AMC) function on the fire order menu? By this I mean I haven't seen anything to allow me to control when it is fired. It appears to fire by itself after "X" amount of time as WR.

Thanks.

"It is unfortunate to have views different from the rest of mankind. It secures abuse." American General D. H. Hill, C.S.A.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:29 PM

Brigadier General

Patrick Proctor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LOS Fan

Sorry for the problems.

Could you tell me what your work-around is? This might give me some clue to the problem you are experiencing.

I HATE BUGS!

To answer your "AMC" question, it is not implemented. Our next patch will grey-out this option. Sorry for the confusion, and the other problems you are having.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:11 AM

Private

Thank you, Patrick.

I'm not sure what you mean by "work-around", so if you would, please define. I can tell you this. I went a head and removed the entire program and reinstalled it, this time without the patches provided. Unfortunately, that didn't solve it. All I can get is the unit/hierarchies to do is to highlight. I normally use a track ball and substituted a mouse to no avail. I checked the computer (this is XP, I know) against a "Belarc Advisor" and it doesn't look like that is the problem.

Of course, I am doing everything I can to insure that this isn't a case of "operater headspace and timing." :-) In the meantime I'm going to keep working with it.

Thanks for the answer about "amc."

"It is unfortunate to have views different from the rest of mankind. It secures abuse." American General D. H. Hill, C.S.A.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 06:00 PM

Private

Hello Patrick,

Disregard. It was a "headspace and timing" problem. In this case I didn't note the difference between unit and higher formations. If I am correct, this is the only way this function will work; only on units, not platoons etc. Sorry about that. Anyway, as someone who was a former field rat I can attest to the excellence of your design.

Well done!

Old September 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM

Brigadier General

Glad it's fixed.

It is always interesting to hear the difficulties of new players. It helps us answer the most common questions more clearly in the help and manual...

Enjoy the game!
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Private

Patrick,

I was thinking about posting any questions I have on this thread to avoid cluttering up the board with Posts. Instead, I have a suggestion and that is compiling a list of FAQ and maybe pinning it in a prominent for the benefit of new players.

On the "War-Forums" board I had the pleasure of working with a group of fine individuals in putting together a FAQ sheet. I helped by asking questions and they helped by answering them. At the end the results was this.

They did a very fine job in putting this together.

I’ll be happy to contribute time towards this (typing, etc) if you think this is a worthwhile idea. This will avoid having to answer the same questions constantly as they noted over there.

Anyway, I do have this to ask you.

Do you intend to one day incorporate a "hot seat" option with ATF? Will it be possible to play the OPFOR in a solitaire mode?

Possible bug. When I load a saved game I have to click the mouse several times to get it to load. This is minor, but I thought I’d let you know. In a future upgrade will we see sections as one of the various formations like in BCT? I realize that this would add an additional level of command.

[deleted]

Some observations:

A wish. One day that “Chapter Six: The Battlefield”, be placed in say, a pdf. I’d love one day to see the screen shots in greater detail. Something else I think would be useful would be some detailed example of using the property boxes for the various missions. I noted on another board that someone was thinking the same thing. For the moment I am experimenting with them in order to understand how this works in a game sense. I grasp the overall concept.

I believe the best way to learn this game is to experiment with the various controls to see how they work and interact with one another. I’d recommend that new players take the time to do a scenario where instead of doing battle that they practice maneuvering and emplacing their units and hierarchies making the utmost use of the various zoom features to see exactly what is happening within the formations.

Other than this I am enjoying ATF. It makes you think, which is something I think we could use in this modern age and congratulations on your recent success.

Old September 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Brigadier General

Thanks for the great questions and comments. I am VERY interested in a FAQ. If you would like to talk more about it, e-mail me at:

pproctor@prosimco.com

With a little more detail on what you want.

We can also talk about the "Chapter Six" thing
Old September 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Private

Done.