.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old March 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM

Private

joeyeti is on a distinguished road
Default Which scenarios (or even campaigns) would you recommend for a beginner?

Hi guys,

admittedly the Tutorial scenario is a bit easy - you having Apachees and A-10s, who together with the artillery can quite early take out the AAs and then reign the skies unharmed to destroy all opposing tanks (and the small infantry).

But then I delved into the next scenario (bloody Vietnam!) and I was being pretty hammered down

Yes, I was playing it just once and did not try to employ any special planning or tactics, but still - was quite a shock after the Tutorial.

Therefore - can you recommend any "easier" scenarios or even campaigns for that matter, that can ease the learning curve for the complete beginner? (I consider myself a beginner, even if I played SP2 years ago, as I already forgot it quite much ).
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which scenarios (or even campaigns) would you recommend for a beginner?

First of all, IMO, you have to choose time period. Vietnam War era and Modern, are not the same in how you do almost anything.

I can't recommend a scenario because I have only played like 2-3 of them in all these years.
If say you want to play in 2010, then I would suggest South Korea (you) vs North Korea. Or Greece vs Turkey, or UK vs Iran.

Then it is the matter of scale. For 2010 games I prefer 30000 points + and max map, but you might want to start with something like 10000 points and smaller map.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Private

Default Re: Which scenarios (or even campaigns) would you recommend for a beginner?

Thx Wdll!

(And thxs mods for moving appropriately )

Please add your recommendations, especially as to the individual scenarios for beginners!
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:28 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyeti View Post
Thx Wdll!

(And thxs mods for moving appropriately )

Please add your recommendations, especially as to the individual scenarios for beginners!
Before worrying about scenarios, I would probably learn the game system first.

In the game options launcher, set your preferred opponent pairing and date to make the battle generation easier.

I would suggest any of UK, USA, West Germany vs USSR (or USSR v any of those main NATO armies). I would suggest June/July in 1968-1975. No need then to worry about Thermal sights or uber-chobham MBT. Terrain is European and summer.

Now go into the game itself, and choose the preferences screen. Set points to say 6000 initially anyway.

Now we are all set for training exercises.

Press battle and (at first - to save time) when in the battle generator, set the human purchase to computer by clicking on it.

Press continue, then human deploy. (leave battle type at meeting engagement for the first few training encounters). Now examine your forces, and if you really do not like what your 'superiors' at GHQ gave you then by all means feel 100% free to exit and repeat the above (Computer buy saves time picking toys and playing with the map - you can always do that stuff later on. You are into deployment in just 4-5 clicks with computer buy).

You can try auto deploy - but I don't really recommend it much.

Treat the 5 or so battles you then play with computer generated forces as learning experiences. It does not really matter if you get thrashed, you learn from it and get better.

After a few meeters with computer generated forces, then you may like to try some with a human purchase (You will know your likes and dislikes regarding troop types by now!) - and play with the map generator set up etc too. Then you might like to try some delays, advances, assaults and defends.

Once you have that training experience under your belt, then you may want to try a generated campaign, or some scenarios.

Cheers
Andy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Private

See Mobhack?

This is the advice that the Guide lacks (apart from the well-produced chapter on Play Tips near the end of it, which on the other hand could use some language-editing ).

Thx much! I have toyed with doing something like that, just had no base footing as to where exactly to begin and what to choose for the start (which countries, year, buying points etc.)... I know the basic handling of units and stuff in the game, I just lack the operational experience of knowing what units are good for what and how to effectively employ them.

I think that the biggest problem newbies (like me) have with WinSPMBT/WW2, is the lack of "reference" to base your starting trial-and-error battles on.

Last edited by joeyeti; March 29th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: small addition
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyeti For This Useful Post:
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Which scenarios (or even campaigns) would you recommend for a beginner?

joeyeti,

It Begins!8/86(slot 114), is a good, small scenario to try. Be cautious while moving and deploy your units in cover. The faster you move the easier it is for the enemy to spot you. Keep in mind your mobile sams cannot fire while on the move. Scenario 114 is fun and you have good tech to deal with enemy forces. You will learn the most from playing pbems. Once you've gotten a good feel for the game pbem is the way to go. Shrapnel is a GREAT community. Have fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to EJ For This Useful Post:
Old March 29th, 2010, 06:36 PM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

definetly, vietnam era scenarios are a no-go for begginers, start out with battles in the u.s-Iraq era playing as the U.S, once you become good at it(I.e, win) move back in time to the Soviet era and play agaist them, 70's and 80's are harder for sovs, so play western nations unless you're up to a challenge , play some korean war battles to learn mountain fighting, vietnam is really hard even for veteran players
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I am very surprised this newbe OP has posted on the MBT forum and no one has suggested he should try WW2 first
theres your smillee Annette!
The Following User Says Thank You to gila For This Useful Post:
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:45 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
joeyeti,

It Begins!8/86(slot 114), is a good, small scenario to try. Be cautious while moving and deploy your units in cover. The faster you move the easier it is for the enemy to spot you. Keep in mind your mobile sams cannot fire while on the move. Scenario 114 is fun and you have good tech to deal with enemy forces. You will learn the most from playing pbems. Once you've gotten a good feel for the game pbem is the way to go. Shrapnel is a GREAT community. Have fun!
Thx EJ!

I just finished this scenario and though I won around 10200 to 2800, it was a small victory only (mainly because most of my tanks were destroyed by nasty BRDMs or other AT weaponry. But it indeed is a fun and quite light scenario to play, especially because you need to learn to move step-by-step, leaving some units overlooking the way and providing cover, while the others move. Lynxs are also an asset, though you have to watch for enemy AAs (I managed to keep one until the end, somewhere around Turn 11 or so, unfortunately without bullets ).

I will now try similar small scenarios as suggested around here...
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Think you were talking more about scenerios than battles in which case once you have done a couple may want to try this link
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44602
This is a little campaign done by Wulfir which you might enjoy.
Follow the instructions he gives to install it & play.