This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old November 6th, 2021, 12:52 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

China has unveiled a variant of the J-16 (Unit 168); the J-16D, an EW/attack variant similar to the EF-18G Growler and reportedly deployed a few planes near taiwan.

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/ar...16d-unique-new

The J-16D:

Removes the 30mm cannon and IRST pod of the basic J-16 fighter in favor of 6 x Anti Radiation Missiles; but it's not known which missile will be chosen for the J-16D:

CM-103 -- 100 km range ARM
LD-10 - ARM derived from PL-12 AAM.
YJ-91 -- Apparently most widely used ARM by PLAAF.
Old November 6th, 2021, 12:58 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

The Chinese now have 20~ or more Y-20 transports.

On 6 July 2016 the first serial Y-20A (serial number 11051) was handed over to the PLAAF in a ceremony. The second aircraft numbered 11052 followed soon after - it was assigned to the 12th Regiment of the 4th Transport Division at Qionglai, Chengdu.

In May 2018; the first airborne airdrops occurred from the Y-20.

These planes use Russian supplied Soloviev D-30 turbofans.

They basically can lift up to 66 tons (2 x Type 15 light tanks or 1 x Type 99 Tank).

Not much information is known about the Y-20B; but this model will use the first indigenously produced Chinese Turbofans (WS-18 or WS-20).
Old December 13th, 2021, 11:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,235 Times in 923 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Jets & Planes but no UAV's here.

Though I hope the following will finally get these jets inline to the "real world" I remain pessimistically/optimistic this might finally happen because, there is no more guessing to disrupt that thought process.

We have finally, an FOC date, with cavoites, but none the less an FOC date from NAVAIR for one variant but also for only one service.

By now most will know I'm speaking of the F-35. Specifically, the USMC F-35C. I don't know for how many years I've been saying the CORPS would reach that milestone first.

So...
USMC/CHANGE/F-35C/UNITS 584 & 585/START/JUL 2021 vice JAN 2023//
With this OFFICIAL announcement, this now throws all other F-35 start dates "out the window" the wait period is now over with this news coming from NAVAIR and after linking to F-35 LIGHTNING II JOINT PROGRAM OFFICE.
https://www.navair.navy.mil/
(Click on Fixed Wing>F-35)
https://www.jsf.mil/news

From the ref below...
"The Marine Corps has been first to reach a number of F-35 milestones, but unlike the F-35C variant, its sibling F-35B model has yet to reach full operational capability. Each service sets its own requirements for operational capability based on a number of factors, including the level of training personnel receive and the number of squadrons flying the aircraft."
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...rtime-use.html
(As linked to from NAVAIR and JSF sites as above.)

This following gives some prospective from BOTH the USN and USAF from the ref below these...
"By 2025, the Navy will have solved its strike fighter shortfall in part by changing how it will field the F-35C Lighting II Joint Strike Fighter. Instead of two squadrons per air wing with 10 tails, the Navy will now field a single squadron with 14 tails, Rear Adm. Andrew Loiselle, director of the Air Warfare Division (OPNAV/N98), told the House Armed Services subcommittee on tactical air and land forces on Tuesday. testified it was reducing F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fight from two to one squadron per air wing."

USAF...
Looking at the F-35’s impact on the Air Force, Lt. Gen. David Nahom, deputy chief of staff for plans and programs, said, “we’re paying for outstanding but not getting outstanding. ” Today and in the immediate future, “we’re filling in the holes with F-16s and A-10s.”
https://news.usni.org/2021/07/14/nav...rtfall-by-2025

The article above encapsulates all the issues I've brought up about the F-35. It also admits finally that foreign competition is also delaying the F-35A, F-35C USN and F-35B.

So how did the USMC get theirs to FOC? Two factors their F/A-18C/D jets are older and PLAN 2030. They also only require 68 aircraft to fulfill their mission requirements. Because of this they ca keep them reengined (As I've posted) during the engine shortage that will continue through 2025. F-55B engines are still be tested through mid 2022 if all goes well.

My thoughts for the rest and based on current refs (And an officer I know currently assigned to a carrier.) and everything else I've posted, are F-35A & F-35C based on earliest dates AND the fact they both have contracts running through the middle of 2024+ for SYSTEM/HARDWARD upgrades and retrofits are
START OCT 2024 and based more on the contracts JAN 2025.

I feel there's a reasonable expectation that the F-35B and pending the engine testing results, I see START APR 2023 to OCT 2023.

I will either eat "humble pie" or "gloat" (Without malicious aspect to it.) more than likely however I'll just appreciate getting this as close to right after so many years of dealing with this.

If anything, if more is required I can with what I have "drop a ref bomb" but everything to date posted provides a base for what's and what I still have.

I think with the FOC reached for the USMC F-35C that we should move forward. As a player after a Patch Post said, and I paraphrase, He grew tired of playing against INDIA as the AI was using T-90MS tanks regularly against him knowing they didn't have them yet.

I believe I submitted a date that pushed the FOC out about 3-4 years.

I wonder how many feel the same with the F-35 beating them up with SAM assets which might prove ineffective against a jet that's not at FOC except as noted? Many countries have updated their SAM systems to counter this (i.e., TURKEY FOC S-400. ) "[b] future" threat. Another area to be addressed at some point.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 14th, 2021 at 02:31 PM..
Old December 14th, 2021, 06:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post

USMC/CHANGE/F-35C/UNITS 584 & 585/START/JUL 2021 vice JAN 2023//
With this OFFICIAL announcement, this now throws all other F-35 start dates "out the window" the wait period is now over with this news coming from NAVAIR and after linking to F-35 LIGHTNING II JOINT PROGRAM OFFICE.
[b]https://www.navair.navy.mil/
Regards,
Pat

Pat......... 583 and 584 are the C versions not 584 and 585.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old December 14th, 2021, 12:16 PM

Lieutenant General

Sorry! Also, my last post has been edited for more clarification

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; December 14th, 2021 at 02:33 PM..
Old December 14th, 2021, 06:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
I believe I submitted a date that pushed the FOC out about 3-4 years.

Regards,
Pat

Maybe you did by I can't find it

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old December 15th, 2021, 03:26 AM

Lieutenant General

Don...
To answer your last on the FOC 3-4 yr. START concerning INDIA's T-90MS, it was 3yrs. to JAN 2022 vice JAN 2019.
See MBT THREAD PG. 88/POST #879

Concerning the player feedback on the above change, that came from RC4 his comment is also in the MBT THREAD PG. 89/POST #885.

I assume you made the search for a reason, as you posted in your last, so my answer will hopefully clear up any issue you might be having.

Have a good morning!

Regards,
Pat

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old January 10th, 2022, 01:00 AM

Lieutenant General

Alright from JANE'S the following country has reached FOC with their F-35A fighters.

NORWAY

The last Norwegian F-16AM/BM fighters were also fully retired on 06 JAN 2022 to coincide with the F-35A fighters' operations for Norway.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/a...al-air-defence

Do not
for one second "assume" that these or any foreign governments F-35 versions are as fully capable as ours.

We currently have several modification contracts running through 2024+ for our F-35 versions before they reach FOC. See Contract section below in a "[b]sparse open read/B]" in which you'll see as I had already posted we're experiencing an engine shortage that'll cut into 20% of our fleet by 2025.

"February 17/21: Engine Shortage F-35 fighter plane engines are in short supply external link, with the solution months away, causing the Defense Department to reduce its schedule of exhibition flights and to start planning for a shortage as soon as 2022. The Defense Department’s F-35 office has advised that about five to six percent of the US. F-35 fleet could be without useable engines by 2022, and up to 20 percent of the plane’s fleet could be sidelined by 2025. According to Defense News external link, the F-135 Heavy Maintenance Center, located at Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma, has been unable to process engines for repairs and maintenance, and catching up will take months."
Thought I'd save you some time.

I already addressed the NAVAIR/USMC decision (POST 643 above.) for the F-35B. It's I'm sure an honor for the USMC pilots to do some of the "real world" OPEVAL testing for the USAF and USN until theirs reach FOC.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...m-edit-037947/

TRACKING the NETHERLANDS for FOC.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; January 10th, 2022 at 01:19 AM..
Old March 10th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Lieutenant General

With a war on their border (Ukraine) March 2nd was a real bad day for the Romanian Air Force.
https://www.flightglobal.com/defence...ent=newsletter

This what I saw in my account:
"Romania’s air force suffered two fatal accidents on 2 March, in separate crashes which killed eight military personnel.

The pilot of a Mikoyan MiG-21 fighter from the 861st Air Combat Squadron was killed when his aircraft crashed near Cogealac in the south-eastern Constanta region.

Romanian air force MiG-21

Source: Jason Wells/Shutterstock

A Romanian air force MiG-21 crashed on 2 March, killing its pilot

Romania’s defence ministry says the aircraft “was part of a formation of two MiG-21 Lancer planes performing air patrol missions over Dobrogea” during a sortie flown from Borcea air base. Radio transmissions ceased at 20:00 local time, and radar contact was lost 3min later, it says.

Following the fighter’s disappearance, an IAR SA330 Puma transport helicopter took off from Mihail Kogalniceanu air base, to conduct a search and rescue mission.

Romanian air force SA330

Source: Mircea Moira/Shutterstock

Seven personnel died when their SA330 was lost during search and rescue mission

The rotorcraft crashed at 20:44, killing all seven personnel aboard, including two from the naval forces. The accident happened near Gura Dobrogei, around 6.8 miles (11km) from its base.

The air force has initiated a commission to investigate the accidents, and temporarily grounded operations with its MiG-21 and SA330 fleets pending its initial findings."

Regards,
Pat

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2022, 04:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

lets see, you lose contact with an aircraft and to goes off the radar then you send SAR to look for it and the same thing happens to it ?

Either Romania has a Bermuda triangle we've never heard of or the worst luck ever or something fishy is going on