.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Chronic Reality > Scallywag: In the Lair of the Medusa
Notices

Old February 13th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Private

wazoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game Suggestions

The "oil management" wasn't THAT bad. In a lot of ways it reminded me of good old Ultima I where every step you took just drained your food away. If you decided to do any "exploring" it usually ended up in a panic run to the nearest town to avoid death by starvation!

But given how simple it is to tweak / mod this setting, I hope it doesn't cost the company too much in lost sales.

Scallywag is more like every Id Software game, in that it's mainly used to show off the engine more than as "the" game itself...
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Private

kilmorr is on a distinguished road

I also find the lamp a fun aspect of the game. Whats great is that you can tweak the game to your playing style, so if you don't like it, you can change it!

Back on topic, a feature that I think would be kinda cool is a high score table, that shows the characters who made it furthest, what level they where, and perhaps even a way to name your player. That would make the dungeon romps a little more memorable.

There are other things, but I would like to see the plugin guide first to see just how difficult it might be to make some of them. I really would like a dialog, with choices, or at the beginning of the game a way to choose your character.
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

It has been quiet. Perfect time for some folks to start creating some mods and showing folks what can be done with the engine.
Old February 17th, 2008, 01:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It has been abit of a letdown that a game which releases the entire engine with it has had so sparked so little creative activity.

<old fogey mode>Is it just me or does it seem like the old days would not have let this happen. Like back to Commodore. Gradually as we came forward it seems like the "let me take this further" has died down.

I blame two things. The shift from Basic to C as the recommended first step to new programmers, and gaming consoles.
</old fogey mode>
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The shift from Basic to C as the recommended first step to new programmers...
I agree. Age of Kings/Conquerors had a very strong AI scripting community which used a very simple & easy to understand language. Age of Mythology (the sequel) had a very powerful AI scripting language that was so arcane (and C-like) that very few people even attempted to write custom scripts.

"Hello World"

Basic:
Code:

PRINT "Hello World!"

C++:
Code:

#include <iostream.h>
main()
{
cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
return 0;
}

(and just for fun) Java:
Code:

class HelloWorld {
static public void main( String args[] ) {
System.out.println( "Hello World!" );
}
}

Map Forge - Map editor
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I totally understand the advantages and disadvantages of C and Basic. But nearly all major programmers will (if you press them hard enough) admit that they started in some form of Basic. I think that the difference is that with Basic you could quickly and easily get the acknowledgement you need that you CAN create something really cool. Then you are motivated to learn something harder in order to do something even cooler. Thats the purpose that Basic was created and I think it did a great job of it.

Telling someone to skip Basic and start in C tends to blow them off the subject of programming IMHO. And I think we are seeing the results of that lately.

Gandalf Parker
--
I understand some of the problems of BASIC..(singing)
This is the code that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started GOTOing it not knowing what it was
And now they keep GOTOing it forever just because
This is the code that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends.

(inspired by Lambchop's song..http://www.zutroy.com/stuff/neverend/)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)