BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Mods
Notices

Old October 24th, 2020, 11:18 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default The Use of Neural Net Deep Learning for Icon Generation

I finally got around to figuring out something that I've always wanted to try ever since the first papers came out about 2015 on the use of Neural Networks for image translation.

For my first attempts, I'm trying to train a neural network to convert GREEN icons to DESERT icons and vice versa; with the following dataset:

I ran CYCLE-GAN for a few hundred epochs and got this basic quality:

You can see how in Epoch 31, the AI is pretty drunk, but by Epoch 431, it's pretty decent.

I stopped there; because the AI went past "good" and became stupid again.

I then went and "tested" my AI against these images which weren't in the training set to see how well the AI would handle it.

And, well....

I guess maybe I need to run it for 5000 epochs?
Old October 25th, 2020, 08:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Use of Neural Net Deep Learning for Icon Generation

I suppose you have a good reason for doing this but a conversion from a solid green to a desert tan Icon takes me seconds to do the basics with PSP and a few more to add in details like turret rings

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.png
Views:	639
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	16157  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old October 25th, 2020, 09:53 AM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

Still amazes me, I have two icons I tried to make back for the SP2 and they look meh to okay. The stuff you guys do is amazing.
Old October 25th, 2020, 10:34 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I suppose you have a good reason for doing this but a conversion from a solid green to a desert tan Icon takes me seconds to do the basics with PSP and a few more to add in details like turret rings
Mostly, it's to learn how to use Neural Nets for fun; as there are some ways you could use Neural Nets:

1.) Use existing icons to generate a "made up" icon based on earlier icons -- there have been papers by people who used scans of NES sprites to make entirely made up sprites. (Generate me a random German looking tank!)

2.) Possibly, as Neural Net Research gets better; make it so that a neural network could be trained to draw a sprite from a good top reference or drawing.
Old October 25th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karagin View Post
Still amazes me, I have two icons I tried to make back for the SP2 and they look meh to okay. The stuff you guys do is amazing.
and a quick camo using the two previous ( 2x normal game size )

All I can say is the learning curve was steep for me as well and *maybe* only one or two of my early examples still exist in the game ( the only one I can think of that is still in use is the Feldwagen in the WW2 German OOB Icon 304.... that is the only one that goes back to the early days PRE SP2WW2 still in use in the game and I could do a better one now but it's "good enough" to be kept it.....just 'cause. That one predates Andy joining the team so early summer 1998.

BUT.... 2 decades of trial and error either builds knowledge and skills or you never get that far. squeezing as much out of <256 colours has been a pet project for years and in that time I have learned what works and what doesn't. It took me years to start using "paste as transparent section" and now it's SOP. It's how I isolate a hull and turret from the background to do a full " repaint" of a solid colour and built up camo patterns

I guess as well it's critical which drawing program you use. I've been using Paint Shop Pro ver 7 since it was released and I am sure there are newer ones out there that can do more but this does what I need it to do
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3c.png
Views:	634
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	16158  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old October 25th, 2020, 11:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSheppard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Mostly, it's to learn how to use Neural Nets for fun; as there are some ways you could use Neural Nets:

1.) Use existing icons to generate a "made up" icon based on earlier icons -- there have been papers by people who used scans of NES sprites to make entirely made up sprites. (Generate me a random German looking tank!)

2.) Possibly, as Neural Net Research gets better; make it so that a neural network could be trained to draw a sprite from a good top reference or drawing.
Yeah, I can see this being an interesting project just to see what you can get.

Old October 25th, 2020, 02:30 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

I use PSP7 myself, still learning new things about it.