.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:25 PM

BANNED USER

Tonno is on a distinguished road
Default First time...Online...

Hello...

I am totaly new and i spent 3 days reading this stuff on the forums (I became insane from reading),and now I want to open my own game on game.dom3minions.com or join a started game...
So I need bunch of ppl with strong nerves,to make me a pro in makeing servers (I am verry slow on catching things)...XD...

I red a lot of rules what to post when makeing game,but I want to hear what is beter e-mail game or game.dom3minion.... game...
and your xp on problems that offten hapens in game...
And what about turns and makeing turns over...can i put some kind of time limit (like turn ends every 12h if players do not press redy or something)...
I had more questions but i forgoten because of all this posts that i red...

So pls if there is some good ppl that are willing to help a noob...I realy realy want to play dom online...
PS
sorry for bad english...
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:14 PM

Captain

LDiCesare is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First time...Online...

dom3minions has preset games, I think Gandalf adds new ones when there are no slots left. Most games, though, are PBEM on llamaserver. It's fairly easy to setup. You should probably start a thread proposing a new game there or look up for starting games or games looking for a permanent sub.
You might also want to hang out on the IRC. I hear some games are started from there and you can get feedback fast there.
And of course: welcome.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:16 PM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

I suggest you look out here for a game to join for your first game. Just to get the hang of it without having to admin at the same time.

I prefer PBEM (play by email) on the www.llamaserver.net myself.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road

Welcome Tonno,

Watch for new games starting right here. You have to keep a close eye on it.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:58 AM

BANNED USER

one more thing can any one say what is the difference between the PBEM and playing on the game.dom3....(I consider PBEM much more complicated)

O and I hope i will see u on the battlefield...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:12 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonno View Post
one more thing can any one say what is the difference between the PBEM and playing on the game.dom3....(I consider PBEM much more complicated)

PBEM means that you get turns emailed to you and have to put the turn file into he proper game folder. When you've done your turn, you email the .2h file to the host for processing. Most games here are hosted on the llamaserver, which is highly automated, so as long as you know the directory for your game, it's really easy.

Direct connection games are rarer, but in those the game itself handles the sending and receiving of files. It also means password protection is required for all games or someone else could just download your files to look at your turn.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:14 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:

PBEM and Direct Connect both have their advantages and disadvantages, depending upon the game type and other factors. Neither one is more complicated than the other really. With Direct Connect, there is a bit more automation in that you don't need to manually move files around and your pretender is uploaded automatically. As Edi mentioned.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:26 AM

BANNED USER

Ok that part I understand (I have red a lot of f... posts last few days...uff...)
And what about patches,I have red that on direct game server uploads patches automaticly...then what if in PBEM I do not have same patches as other players do I have to post that on the game topic...
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ok that part I understand (I have red a lot of f... posts last few days...uff...)
And what about patches,I have red that on direct game server uploads patches automaticly...then what if in PBEM I do not have same patches as other players do I have to post that on the game topic...
Do you mean patches or mods? Official patches to the game are usually not an issue as they are generally infrequent and most players are up to date. The game itself usually won't let you play if you don't have the same mods/patches the server copy is using. The game admin should make clear what mods are needed in the game and will likely either post a link to them or attach them to the beginning of the thread. The opening/first post of a game thread here is your guide/roadmap to most games. Usually it will tell you/contain everything you need to know about a game.

The thread title itself can convey a lot of information as well: If you see (MA CBM 4/8 Recruiting) in a title, then you know the game is Middle era, uses the CBM mod, 8 players max, 4 slots open and still recruiting). IRC, team games, these forums, the wiki, the new player helpdesk, the manual, and many other resources are available to new players. NEVER feel intimidated about asking questions.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; May 3rd, 2010 at 06:52 AM..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

What has been posted is very helpful. But some minor points....

Im not sure that pbem is "most games" altho it might work if it was said as "most server hosted games in this forum". Even then Im not sure. Im fairly sure that most of the games done by small groups or from the various irc channels are direct connect. And my server, Dom3Minions, has never been busier (its almost entirely direct connect games). Both for the continually open games I host, and for special setup games such as you see in the forum here. Altho most of the special setup games on dom3minions arent from this forum since apparently there is no need for them here.

Personally I consider pbem to be a headache both to do and to run. I had given up on running them long ago setting up Dom3minions for direct connect, and was thrilled later when LLamabeast started his server to support pbem. People also like it because it has a menu of options for starting a game. I did a menu like that long long ago also but it doesnt work as well for direct connect games so now I just leave the options completely open to the person creating the game.

Playing direct connect is pretty simple. You use the Network option on the menu to connect, and then it plays like a solo game. You do need to know how to turn on mods (if that game wants to use some), create your god ahead of time with a password and save it. But you need to do that whichever method you choose to play multiplayer games.

Some like pbem for the "automatic backup" feature of having their turns in their email. But actually many direct connect games offer that also. Its very simple to have turns emailed out. Its just receiving player turns at the server that is a headache. Or they like it for the record keeping and admin functions they see implemented on llamaserver (altho those also are available or unnecessary for direct connect games)

If you want to try out both types for yourself before diving into multiplayer games then feel free. Here is a list of games that are always available on my system (a new one created when one of those starts). Pick one then read the How-To link. Id recommend playing a vsAI for this purpose since you can start it with just one player. If you get tired of it then just set yourself to computer player which will tell the game you are done and save me some cleanup.
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostedGames.htm

I suppose you can do the same on LLamaserver for pbem by creating a game and joining it twice but I cant speak for whether or not LLamabeast would like people doing that.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; May 3rd, 2010 at 10:45 AM..