This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Getting SEV to work with linux

i should take some pictures of sev on a 42 inch lcd Looks really really good. Alas not in linux. Could not get it to work. Now SEV in aix. That would be cool

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old January 9th, 2007, 12:16 AM

Corporal

AstralWanderer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said:
You seem to have glossed over the assertion that the segment of the computer using population that installs OSes on their own is very much intersected by the segment of the population that can download and use a crack for WPA,
Looking over the previous posts, I was puzzled at your focus on those who had installed OSes and I've now just seen your reasoning.

You seem to think activation only occurs during Windows installation.

This however is not the case - sufficient hardware changes will trigger the need for re-activation (see AumHa: Windows Product Activation for details). So if Microsoft stops XP activations, everyone running an XP system, pre-installed or not, will have to either upgrade to Vista, find a way to disable WPA or be extremely cautious about any hardware changes (especially for motherboards with integrated NICs).

Whether Microsoft will actually do this is speculation but what should be clear is that (a) Microsoft can do it and (b) Microsoft will profit greatly from doing it. Even if you assume that every home user finds and applies a WPA crack, you still have business users who are unlikely to risk this. And they will have to buy retail copies rather than heavily discounted OEM versions.

This however should be enough on activation - it is one reason for moving to GNU/Linux (or another free OS) and the increasingly heavy-handed DRM in Vista will strengthen this. As such it is in all game developers' interests to ensure that their wares work under Wine at the very least.
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think activation only occurs when you first install the OS. It takes some massive hardware changes to trigger WPA (even your link says so). Most computer users do not upgrade internal hardware any more than they buy retail OS disks (especially when you talk about parts like motherboards and cpus)... they just buy whole OEM PCs when they upgrade. I still posit that a large majority of (computer-owning) people have never needed to activate XP and thus would never be subject to the termination of XP activations. Microsoft would not profit much at all from terminating XP activations.

Business users with volume licensed XP would certainly move to volume licensed Vista, not retail copies of Vista. Why would they not get volume licensing for Vista if they had to upgrade? Unless you are talking about small business owners that do not qualify for volume licensing... in which case, the same exact ecosystem of buying whole new OEM PCs and not doing piecemeal upgrades tends to apply exactly the same as it does for home users.

Product activation is an invalid reason to switch to Linux. There are good reasons to do so, but completely unrealistic paranoia about MS cutting off activation of XP is certainly not one of them. And again with the DRM boogeyman... In all likelihood, you are probably doing Linux adoption a disservice by perpetuating the WPA/DRM scare tactics...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:52 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Imperator Fyron said: It takes some massive hardware changes to trigger WPA
I have heard reports of it being triggered by such "major" changes as adding more RAM. (I could have sworn it was on a thread in these forums, but I can't find it now.)

I don't trust Microsoft to judge what constitutes a "major" hardware upgrade. I don't trust Microsoft to judge what software ought to automatically be downloaded to my computer. I don't use Microsoft products any more than absolutely necessary.

Some of the features that I've heard are included in both XP and Vista have convinced me to never voluntarily install either one.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Corporal

Quote:
capnq said:
I have heard reports of it being triggered by such "major" changes as adding more RAM. (I could have sworn it was on a thread in these forums, but I can't find it now.)
RAM, hard drive serial number and the partition volume number (which changes with a format) are factors that are considered by WPA. So upgrading RAM and moving to a new disk would mean 3 changes (out of an allowed 7). Changing the network card (e.g. adding a wireless one or altering its MAC address - sometimes useful with cable-based ISPs) would count as a further 3 so at this point, any further change (video card, CD/DVD drive or SCSI adaptor) would trigger re-activation. Unless you waited for 120 days for the previous changes to "time out" (with XP SP1 onwards).
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:10 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No software is ever automatically downloaded to your computer by Windows without your consent. You can enable automatic updates to have security updates installed automatically, but it never happens clandestinely. The first time you install XP (or run it on a purchased PC), it asks you if you want to enable automatic updates or not. You can very easily change the behavior of automatic updates from the control panel at any time. I see no reason why Vista would be any different in this regard.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Hey look, MS has extended support for XP Home and Media Center Addition by 5 years.

"With this announcement, XP and XP MCE will be covered by five years of Mainstream Support (ending in April 2009) and five more years of Extended Support. This move matches the support timeline that had previously been offered for Windows XP Professional."

Just as I thought, the kill switch paranoia is complete bull dookey.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Corporal

Doesn't mean a thing in regard to product activation, which is not mentioned specifically in the announcement. It is still very much at Microsoft's behest and will remain that way until they offer users a means of disabling it.
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I suppose there is no reasoning with zealots. MS support == activating product, supplying patches.
Old January 25th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

It is essentially the same situation as Steam.

You have to depend on the company's continued existence, or failing that, the availability of cracks.

The company isn't going to be folding any time soon, so it devolves to a matter of principle.