This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old January 14th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Major

mlmbd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scary Monsters

Unless of course your Pet dog is a "Chow Chow"!

mlmbd
Old January 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road

Owch!

<killed by super pun>

he he
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:34 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Piercers are basically living stalactites that inhabit the ceilings of dungeons. When an adventurer passes underneath, the piercer drops, impaling him - I guess the piercer then absorbs the adventurer's internal organs or something... never actually got to read "Ecology of the Piercer" so I don't quite understand these guys
Old January 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road

They sound friendly

doubt u could eat one tho
Old January 16th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Sergeant

Solar is on a distinguished road

Ok, you asked for it. Here is all the information I could dig up on piercers.

Piercers resemble stalactites found on cave roofs. They are actually a species of gastropods that, without their shells, resemble slugs with long tails. A piercer climbs onto the ceiling of a cavern and waits patiently; when it detects prey beneath it, it drops from the ceiling and impales the victim with the sharp end of its shell.
Piercers look like limestone growths on the ceiling of a cavern, just like ordinary stalactites. They come in the following sizes: one foot long (1 Hit Die), three feet long (2 Hit Dice), four and one-half feet long (3 Hit Dice), and six feet long (4 Hit Dice). Piercers can be identified on very close inspection by a pair of tiny eyestalks that curl along the side of the stalactite.

Combat: Piercers have only one chance to hit; if an attack fails to score a kill, the piercer cannot attack again until it slowly scales a wall to resume its position. Piercers can hear noises and detect heat sources in a 120-yard radius; these heat sources include humans. If the noise and light are stationary for many minutes at a time, piercers will slowly edge into attack position over the source of the stimulus. Piercers are virtually indistinguishable from natural phenomena. A group of characters has a -7 modifier on its surprise roll against a piercer (this guarantees that the group will be surprised unless it has some positive modifiers).
A piercer, after it has fallen, is slow and fairly easily slain. Its soft underbelly has one defense mechanism; when exposed to air it covers itself in a corrosive acid which inflicts 1 point of damage on contact with flesh. This is usually enough to dissuade natural predators from disturbing it.

Habitat/Society: While piercers are nonintelligent, the piercers in a colony are aware of each other. They often fall simultaneously, to feed on those killed by other piercers (which makes the area suddenly very dangerous).
Piercers dwell in caverns, where they live in Groups of about 10 members. They prefer to hang over high traffic areas, so they will usually be found near cave entrances. Aside from mating, the piercers are not social creatures. There are rumored to be great caverns deep underground that contain colonies of hundreds of piercers. Piercers are not attracted to treasure, only to food.

Ecology: The piercer is a mollusk, hatched from a hen-sized egg which the parent lays in clutches of six to eight in isolated areas of the cavern. When they hatch, the young appear to be slugs feeding on fungi. After several months, they climb the cavern walls, secrete a chemical that hardens into the familiar stalactite shape, and then wait for prey to come.
A piercer has a lifespan of four years and grows one Hit Die per year. In any group of piercers, the number of creatures with one, two, three, and four Hit Dice will be nearly evenly divided (e.g., in a group of 12 piercers, there will be three one Hit Die piercers, three with two Hit Dice, three with three Hit Dice, and three with four Hit Dice).
A piercer can go without food for months. It stores food in a second stomach that can preserve food for long periods of time; some alchemists seek out piercers to extract a substance from this organ and refine it for human use, as it can keep foodstuffs and precious ingredients fresh for weeks. Piercers also store large supplies of water, extracted from their victims. Piercers can maintain this water supply for months.
The taste of a piercer is said to resemble that of a snail, but with a bitter aftertaste. Their eggs and offspring are not traded on the open market.

Hmmmm.... snail with a bitter aftertaste. I think I'll pass.

Solar
Old January 16th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Major

Well 'Slugs' are edible. Not appetizing, but edible! So, one might eat one. OK! Where did I put that horseradish?

mlmbd

[ January 16, 2003, 11:23: Message edited by: mlmbd ]
Old January 17th, 2003, 02:29 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I know the article in question, part of Dragon's "Ecology of" series. It'll take me a day or two to dig it out of the archives (i.e. figure out which box I packed those magazines in, and find the right issue) but I can send it to interested parties. I think what Solar just posted is the section from the MM, right? The article, if my memory serves me, is quite a bit longer. Length as well as copyright restrictions forbide me posting it here, but if anybody wants it, I'll be happy to e-mail it. (I doubt the author would mind having something 15 years out of print recirculated a bit!)

The whole series was rather interesting. They took piercers, beholders, dryads, and so forth, and made mock-scientific articles about them. Some were more tongue-in-cheek than others, but they all were interesting reading.

(See, and this is good, cuz if anybody wants the article, it means I'LL NEVER HAVE TO THROW THE MAGAZINES AWAY! If anybody tells me, "but you never read them anymore," I can just say, "but remember that time I went and found something for somebody? I NEED them!!!!" Heh-heh! )

Oh, and speaking of slugs, a friend of mine and I once wrote a list of 101 things to do with a dead slug as part of a 200+ thread on the subject of slugs. It's humor, obviously, and I'm rather proud of it. It not only made people laugh, it also grossed out an amazing number of innocent folks just browsing along.
Old January 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM

Sergeant

Solar is on a distinguished road

Correct, that's a section from the MM. Go ahead and email those articles to me, if for no other reason than to save your magazines. Anything to help a fellow packrat.

Solar
Old January 17th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Major

Psi, we would not want to destroy such a valuable part of literary history. Now would we? So by all means, email a copy of the articles to me. Thanks!

mlmbd
Old January 18th, 2003, 04:42 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I'll find it this weekend and e-mail it off to y'all.