.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:24 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road
Default Night of the Long Knives?

Apparently, entire threads can be deleted at the will of this board's management. I am speaking, of course, of the discussion of Sombre's banishment.

Me...? I don't care much for Sombre. He's done some great things for the game. And he's a great contributor (or was). Is he an ***? Yes, he can be. But he is what he is, and always has been.

But deleting the entire threads concerning his banishment is not the act of a democratic state. It is a totalitarian act. Shades of 1984.

I'll probably get banned for this post, or just deleted again. And why? for Sombre? No, I could care less about Sombre. I am posting for the democracy of the board.

I'll leave off my sig this time. This post is too important for my frivolous sig.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Lingchih For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:33 AM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Night of the Long Knives?

Oh don't feel too bad Lingchih. I was able to print to file most of those fun threads. Maybe they should go up on the wiki?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:38 AM

Captain

earcaraxe is on a distinguished road

Could you send me those? I'm interested in whats happened.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:47 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Ling, sorry to hear you are under the impression that the Shrapnel boards are some sort of democracy.

Quote:
This happens to be a private forum where it is the prerogative of the owner, Shrapnel Games, to determine what is and is not appropriate to post on their forums.
At best, it's a benevolent dictatorship. The best you can hope for is more benevolence.
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

I can understand banning someone if necessary, but I can't understand not even allowing a discussion of the specifics of it.

I mean, how do I know if it was warranted in this case, if no one can share information on it? Hm, perhaps I just answered my own question...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TwoBits For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:48 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I can understand banning someone if necessary, but I can't understand not even allowing a discussion of the specifics of it.

I mean, how do I know if it was warranted in this case, if no one can share information on it? Hm, perhaps I just answered my own question...
Had it only been discussion of the specifics, but most of those threads that have been moved were out and out spam as well as people essentially picking fights with other people who didn't catch the innuendo right off the bat.

So, if people do want to have a discussion about it, let us have it calmly and constructively. If it's just going to be spam, yes then the moderators will make it disappear.

vfb is correct that this place is not democracy. It's a private club with its own rules.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:57 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Indeed, this is not a democracy. No privately owned message board even should be. And while Sombre can be an *** at times, I don't think he deserves to be permabanned for what I've heard he's done - he's/he was a good member of the community who frequently contributed content (mods) to the one game that we share here.

But it's not mine to decide. I don't run and moderate this place, though I'd do it differently if I did.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:37 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Quote:

Had it only been discussion of the specifics, but most of those threads that have been moved were out and out spam as well as people essentially picking fights with other people who didn't catch the innuendo right off the bat.
That is an interesting, if blatantly untrue misrepresentation of the particular thread being referenced. While it is true that people got uppity in that thread, it was actually the people who didn't get it who seemed to be aiming to start a fight (and who were a bit rude to the OP, I might add). Of course, then certain freedom fighters leapt eagerly into said fight. But they did not start it.

The characterization of the rest of it as spam is a reasonable one. I wouldn't have said that though! Bad, bad idea.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Quote:

So, if people do want to have a discussion about it, let us have it calmly and constructively. If it's just going to be spam, yes then the moderators will make it disappear.

vfb is correct that this place is not democracy. It's a private club with its own rules.
Fair enough. But, if there were troublesome threads (and I can see your point there), wouldn't it have been better to lock the thread, with an explanation (as was done with the Political Theory thread)?

When threads just suddenly disappear (or were moved - to where?), it leaves people scratching their heads.

That said, if this is going to be kept open as a legitimate place for discussion of the "Sombre Incident", does anyone care to spill the beans on what happened, so others can form their own opinions on whether a useful, if problematic, member was fairly banned?

Yeah, I know, maybe it's all just blowing smoke, because, as people said, this isn't a democracy, and Shrapnel can do what it wants with its Forums. But maybe, at least, this would serve people as an example of what lines are best not crossed.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:43 AM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

What, Sombre has been permabanned ?!

He's one of the best contributors to the modding scene, what has he done that would get such a harsh result ?

I could understand a temporary ban as a warning, but that ?

Is it possible to get some informations about what happened ?
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Closed Thread