.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old March 13th, 2006, 01:44 AM

Private

CautiousChaos is on a distinguished road
Default Hyperdrive too easy!

I've been playing WW for a few days and what I've noticed is that once I have hyperdrive, the rest of the game is a cakewalk. I can zip all over the place without any worry about time, so my scores invariably are much higher than without.

Is this everyone else's experience? Is there a way to mod hyperdrive so that it costs more to operate or has a random chance of failing or moving you to another star?

-cc
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Private

Professor_Spatula is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hyperdrive too easy!

Perhaps the hyperdrive could have a limited number of 'charges' or a limited range. Going too far or using it too much results in structural damage like when you go through black holes. I agree it does make exploration and travel easy, but sometimes it saves the day: numerous are the campaigns I've had where I've been unable to get anywhere thanks to large amounts of nebula and no suitable drives, and then suddenly, a year before I'm due back home and I find the hyperdrive. It unbalances play as much as the Particle Vortex Cannon, but saying that I use both whenever I find them!
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM

Private

CautiousChaos is on a distinguished road

So right on the particle vortex cannon. I found it yesterday and plugged it into my science vessel. I made a mess out of just about everything that I came into contact with. Fun in a way, but linked with having hyperdrive, it was a walk in the park with a really nice high score.

-cc
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:58 PM

Private

ZylonBane is on a distinguished road

You wanna talk brutal-- try DUAL PVCs sometime. Can be tough to get a game with the PVC and a Timeless Bauble, but when you do... heheheh...
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:19 AM

Corporal

nihilix is on a distinguished road

Dual PVCs with the cloaker and the Sardion Optimizer. Even the Yellow Kawangi are toast (if you can dodge the nova cannon, that is...)
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Private

Nukenin is on a distinguished road

Think of the hyperdrive as scoring a Yahtzee in the dice game of the same name. When it happens, you end up with high scores.
Old March 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Sergeant

tibbs is on a distinguished road

I agree with the poster. The hyperdrive should be removed or modified. It changes the rules of the game and decreases the length of time I'll be playing it. I agree with you guys about the PVC as well.
Old March 20th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Corporal

Shadowcat is on a distinguished road

So remove them! Make your own mod that does not contain either item. At least, not for the player.

e.g. Make a new directory called anything you like (say, "improved"), and give it a subdirectory named "gamedata". Inside gamedata place a copy of this file: default/gamedata/game.ini

Now edit your new copy of this (i.e. improved/gamedata/game.ini). Change the title at the top of the file (e.g. "TITLE Weird Worlds: Improved"), and then find and remove the following line:

dr_hyper

Save the file.

You cannot simply remove the wp_projvrtx line, as there are enemies that use the PVC, so instead we'll make it unavailable to the player:

Make a subdirectory named "items" within "gamedata" and copy the default/gamedata/items/wp_projvrtx.ini file into it.

Edit this new copy and change the line "FLAG tech" to "FLAG tech nogen nowish" to prevent you from finding or wishing for the PVC.

Save the file.

Lastly, create a shortcut to weird.exe, edit its properties, and append " -game improved" to the Target field. Put the shortcut in your start menu if you wish, and use this to run the game. It will auto-select your mod, so you just have to click on the "Start" button as per usual, making it completely seamless to always use your mod.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM

Private

RTyp06 is on a distinguished road

... or just drop the Hyperdrive off at an outpost or planet somwhere and use somthing else instead? Nobody's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to install it on your ship are they?
Old April 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Corporal

Ripcord O'Reilly is on a distinguished road

Neat ideas here at the top. "Going too far or using it too much results in structural damage like when you go through black holes" for example. Always taking notes.