.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 6th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Sergeant

SelfishGene is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crazy&Insane Stories!

My favorite personal story of all time is an epic comeback in multiplayer. Having lost my capital and being reduced to 2 commanders, a merc company and a handful of indies (my god being killed as well) i managed to crawl back and reach 2nd or 3rd place (depending on who you ask before losing.

Back in Dom2, as what is now, Middle Era Man, i was playing a newbie game with several others players. My large force of Knights of Avalon moved into an indie province the same time as a massive force of Neifel Giants from another player (i had no recruitable scouts in any previous province i captured, a problem the whole game). He crushed my Knights almost to a man, and then moved onward, capturing all my provinces and even eventually my capital. But i still refused to give up, and took my last handful of troops, basically just a Castillion, a priest, some random assortment of barbarians, lizard warriors, a few human troops, and a merc company, and starting capturing whatever province i could hit, just to stay alive.

Fortunately he had taken Turmoil and Misfortune, so his empire was starting to fall apart from within, and his Giants had been utterly crushed, having traved south away from my lands only to die horrible deaths to Marignon flaming-arrow crossbow hordes. My capital was relatively undefended, but i feel certain that i was within one combat round of routing and losing my last chance in the game, when his Giant PD routed instead and lost the battle - giving me back my capital!

Neifelheim fell completely apart (helped a great deal by my Bards) and never seriously threatened anyone again. Although pretty badly behind i managed to get Nature Global up, started massing Vine Ogres, and at one point had become a real power again. I even used my Pretender to Fairy Trod into Marignon's backyard and trashed his economy with a scorched earth-style raid. I began pushing into several old empires and, for a brief moment, appeared to have a small but honest chance at winning the game!

Sadly my Vine Ogre hordes were customized to use against Ctis; for some reason that can only be called the "Prisoner's Delimma" logic of late game Dominions diplomacy, Marignon and I who had patched up relations to fight off Ctis, turned on me and utterly annihilated my Vine Ogres with Arch-Devil SCs. But, unable to capture my forts, he was at a stalemate. This allowed Ctis, whom i was pushing back and had even wiped his main Sage research facility, to crush both of us in the end.

Still, a pretty epic game! Newbie games are/were (imo) a bit more fun anyway, as comebacks like this are possible when players haven't got the system gamed to a T and everyone is still making mistakes.
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road

Once upon a time, in a province far, far away...

Heavy snowfalls caused gold loss. And mild winter allowed farmers to prosper, bringing me extra gold. All this in the same month.
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road

I've seen a Cave of Ghouls magic site in the same province as a Rainbow Shroud. Location, location, location...

Regarding Bogus, I once had Bogus and crowd show up outside one of my castles' gates. Took the opportunity to Wind Ride contestants from other nations (this was way back when Wind Ride was reliable absent ethereal, huge size, or decent earth magic ) to face Bogus one-on-one for a while.
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:05 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road

Hahaha, nice Taqwus
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

in a MP game I started my income dependent nation with a bad event for 50 unrest or something...

not nice.. I went crazy and insane.

No real funny stuff to tell though
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM

Major General

MaxWilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
B0rsuk said:
Once upon a time, in a province far, far away...

Heavy snowfalls caused gold loss. And mild winter allowed farmers to prosper, bringing me extra gold. All this in the same month.
Well, that's just how Global Warming works, y'know? If it gets hotter it's because of CO2. If it gets colder it's because of CO2. Sometimes both at once.

-Max

["Memories of Ice", by Steven Erikson. Retranslated into l33t.]
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

When I first started playing the game, I didn't know about the vagaries of "slight" chances in Dom.

The first nice hero I ever got, was the reanimated prince in EA C'tis, I forget his name. He rides a chariot with a skeletal lizard pulling it, and he wears Rainbow Armor and wields a Sword of Swiftness. I had never seen such amazing treasures before, I was flabbergasted.

I decided to take a chance, and give him the biggest boost I could manage..... a Lycantropos Charm..... >.> (in retrospect, should that affect an undead?)

2 turns of movement later, without even getting him into a combat, I had a "skinshifter", wearing furs, and holding a non-magical greatsword.
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM

Private

Snoddasmannen is on a distinguished road

I once had the event where a celebrant of faith was "bringing hope" to my minions. Interestingly, the same month, the same province, 20% of the population *left* the province on account of being "restless" ... Thanks a lot reverend, bring my people hope would you? Bah!

He and his merry militiamen were immediately promoted to elite crossbow bolt interceptors. I like to imagine he went down vividly preaching a sermon of courage.
Old June 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Second Lieutenant

moderation is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lingchih said:
Bogus was one square from exiting the battlefield, when my serpent priest hit him with a mind burn. It turned him berserk, he turned around, killed all my hydras, and then made a run for my serpent priest, chopping his head off in one blow. It was quite funny.
Hmm, I didn't know Mind Burn can berserk the target. What are the odds of this happening?
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

It's because Bogus has berserking. So, any damage can cause it, it just happened to be the Mind Burn that got him.