This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Shrapnel General

Old May 7th, 2004, 04:30 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Posts are backwards why?

Outright insulting the company is not the right way to go about it Blitz...

Shrapnel prefers the forums this way, which is why they stay this way.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Blitz:
I hate your forums.
- An annoyed reader of these forums
We are working on making them into forums since they have picked up so much. The original format was for staff/Moderators. Its more of a "Customer Support" format.

The new software does apparently allow for Users to choose the discussion format (what you were asking for). However, its NOT a software upgrade. Its a whole new software (by the same company). The major question still to be answered is whether or not we can keep all the nice content we already have.

More attention will be available for this after Origins (and the consequent recovery time)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Corporal

spirokeat is on a distinguished road

its a pain in the *** for a number of reasons.

When your reading the topic listing and a particular topic has more than one page you cant just click the main topic heading to read it, you have to excert finer mouse control to click on the Last page in the list to get to the start of the post.

When your reading Posts, you read a reply downwards, then have to roll upwards to the next one.

Thats just 2 very basic reasons, with no rancour attached.

Actually, having thought about it, I see no reason why I should have to offer a rational reply as Im not debating this with anyone.

It DOES bother me and it DOES get me mad AT shrapnell, It makes me think less of them, it makes me want to not buy any other product from them. Sort the fugging forums out.

Spiro

[ June 19, 2004, 09:36: Message edited by: spirokeat ]
Old June 19th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

Actually, it's funny that this topic comes up. Most people do hate the format when they first visit, but the folks who read regularly end up loving it since they can find the newest Posts easily at the top of their current thread.

As far as the future goes, we'll have to see how the next Version of everything works out.

We could switch it back, but honestly we would probably piss off more people who are used to it by now.
Old June 21st, 2004, 05:04 AM

Corporal

Voidhawk is on a distinguished road

You know, there's a reason why my post count here is so low even though I've been a loyal Shrapnel customer for years now.

While I certainly don't find the current format repulsive enough to keep me away entirely, it definitely dissuades me from being an active contributor here.

Maybe I'm just an old dog and reluctant to learn new tricks, but I honestly think I'd have more fun playing the latest real-time strategy game than surfing these forums. If nothing else, I'm sure the RTS game would require far less dexterity and careful planning.

It's not a huge issue for me, but options are always good!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:17 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The new software upgrade offers it. Of course that does cost but thats not an issue. The issue would be that it does things VERY differently (goes from CSS to MySQL I believe).

So besides deciding whether to go from a support to a community-chat format, there would be the careful CAREFUL effort to make sure none of the content we have is lost.

[ June 22, 2004, 02:17: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:47 AM

Corporal

DarkAnt is on a distinguished road

You would not believe how confused I was when I first starting reading Posts at shrapnel. I believe you might be losing a few people just because of the initial confusion.
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAnt:
You would not believe how confused I was when I first starting reading Posts at shrapnel. I believe you might be losing a few people just because of the initial confusion.
Possibly. But initially the choice was "this or that". There were pros and cons either way.

NOW I believe the new Version of the software offers it as a Users choice in their profile. Very nice. If we can port over the threads we have going then it will be a win/win situation.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:13 AM

Sergeant

Blitz is on a distinguished road

So like, is there any action being taken on this or what? No, I never "got used to it". Yes, it's still annoying. Please fix, thanks.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Private

FarAway Pretender is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd throw in my thoughts: I definitely prefer the "standard" format used by other Boards. It really does bother me "reading backwards".

However, as others have said, it's obviously more important to pay the $$$ and keep things afloat, so if fixing the display causes too many problems, I guess we'll all deal with it (or we'll take our ball and go home). Running a forum is a fairly thankless job (think of it as "mayor without any perks"!) and I can't blame the Admins if they don't have the time to do a whole new install.

I do think it's sad how bitter some posters are getting over this. We're all brought here by love of the game(s), and it's a shame we can't at least treat each other with the sort of basic respect that our parents all raised us to have.

Kudos to Gandalf for trying to keep this thread constructive and civil!

[ July 03, 2004, 07:54: Message edited by: FarAway Pretender ]