.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:19 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WRAPPED MAPS AVAILABLE

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Heehee. I suppose I could make a zip with all of them in it.
But to be truthful, I dont think they all turned out to be worthwhile. I was just happy to stop messing with the script when I got about half to be something I considered "not too bad"
Hey G!
Your server is dead man! Nobody plays those stupid little blitzes of yours anymore. We are tired of it.
Why don't you start using these wrapped maps? Maybe then people will start playing on your server again in case you care about that. Or some different sized games? Something interesting! You keep talking about other game types. Cough up something.
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:31 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Wikd, you are astonishingly rude and unpleasant. Talking like that is completely out of order. Gandalf does a lot for the community entirely out of goodwill and generosity, it's not like it's his job or something. If I was in his position and someone talked to me like that I would be extremely offended, and not exactly inclined to make more effort in future. If you want something done, just go and do it yourself rather than demanding someone else does it for you. Why should Gandalf do something you could do yourself?

As for the blitzes - I haven't looked lately so couldn't comment, but those games are amongst the ones I have enjoyed most, and theyare an excellent facility. I suspect the decline in their usage is a consequence of the increasing number of other servers available and the recent organisation of lots of larger games on the MP forum.

Actually, I am speechless at your rudeness. Gandalf, I hope you know this guy is on his own in his opinions.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

> Actually, I am speechless at your rudeness. Gandalf, I hope you know this guy is on his own in his opinions.

Seconded!

Edit: On the other hand, not too surprising with hobbies listed as trolling and debating.
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:49 PM

BANNED USER

Wikd Thots is on a distinguished road

Damn. I was just prodding him. Nobody has signed up for his games for awhile. The ones running all finished. And the open ones have been empty for awhile. It's a waste of a server. Hell Im nicer on him than some of the IRC channel experts.

But it's his fault. He waves ideas at us and then does nothing. Why ask if I can do it? That is what I'm asking HIM. He says he can then he doesn't do it.
Check back on the Sitting on the Fence posts.
Sitting on the Fence (game ideas)
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

OK ok settle down.
I admit that I held off of answering immeadiately (while I bit my toungue). Thanks Llammabeast and Kristoffer for the support.

But... (big sigh, deep breath) I guess there are points here.

I do tend to need encouragement (not quite the please and thank you approach I usually recommend but Wikd has his own "style").

Use of the blitz server has been slowing lately. Ive even had to restart the "open" games because their log was getting full (yes Wikd I do roll logs but Dom3 logs roll when the host processes so open games just fill and fill and fill)

There are some good ideas in that thread (thanks for reminding me). I was considering a mega game but someone else already is getting it. I should re-read that list.

Ive also noticed a steady log of my "Poke in the Eye" chaos map getting downloaded alot. Since the Mid-sized game on my server also finished I was thinking of re-randomizing that map or another and doing a Mid-sized (8-10 players) game in a chaotic world. After all, with so many servers running now there is no need for ME to fill in the usual game needs.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

@ wikd
i think the idea of coming up with ideas is so that the community as a whole can work on them. just because someone comes up with an idea does not mean that they have any idea of how to implement it or whether there is even an audience to make the work worthwhile. gandalf does a crapload for the community. i imagine that if he were to do anymore he would have to quit his day job and give up his personal life. he is under absolutely no obligation to do anything for you or anyone on this board (that i am aware of) let alone fulfill your requests/demands.

@ gandalf
glad to see someone is getting some use out of the mapgen, like the look of some of the 'maxsize' maps. i'm working on the next iteration of mapgen now, hopefully it will be a lot more flexible for everyone's needs. i think i am closing in on getting the core features implemented, i'll start a comprehensive todo list in the mapgen thread soon, so if you have any sweet features or suggestions you would especially like to see, post them over there.

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!
Old August 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Oooh now I feel bad.
I dont actually have a life. Or a day job.
I guess I need to do more.

I will definetly join in on the discussion. The biggest problem I have is the interlinking. Im used to being able to raise or lower a number and get a result. Having 3 or 4 variables so interconnected is too much thinking for my random old brain.

I might also get some map sprites done and tested for your next release (maybe)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

Quote:
i think the idea of coming up with ideas is so that the community as a whole can work on them. just because someone comes up with an idea does not mean that they have any idea of how to implement it or whether there is even an audience to make the work worthwhile.
SemiRandom is entirely the result of my reading one of Gandalf's idea pages on his site and MANY of the features of that project are directly inspired by Gandalf's input.

(btw: The mapgen wraparound maps are really looking promising. Thanks for all you do Gandalf!)
Map Forge - Map editor
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Ballbarian said:
Quote:
i think the idea of coming up with ideas is so that the community as a whole can work on them. just because someone comes up with an idea does not mean that they have any idea of how to implement it or whether there is even an audience to make the work worthwhile.
SemiRandom is entirely the result of my reading one of Gandalf's idea pages on his site and MANY of the features of that project are directly inspired by Gandalf's input.

Thanks for the credit.
Really though, Im am basically lazy. And I hate to "spearhead" a project (lead it, upload it, be the maintainer, sole credit and responsibility, etc)

In actuality, Im doing here what I always have done. Im used to brainstorming the project, hacking on any piece of it that seems "impossible" at the moment. Then when the kinks are worked out Ive turned it over to someone else (or a group) to flesh it out, pretty it up, deliver it, maintain it. High school, college, military, civilian jobs. All like that. Now Im over 50 and retired. Dont expect me to suddenly become a soloist

Quote:
(btw: The mapgen wraparound maps are really looking promising. Thanks for all you do Gandalf!)
Well no one has commented badly on the color choices. And I have finally gotten it to do oceans and nicely wrapped maps.

Now if I can get it to do smaller mountain ranges we will be sailing. So far I seem to get tons of mountains, or not enough.

Then Im thinking I will automate some finer features (if PH doesnt beat me to it). Maybe ImageMagick some things like softens, blurs, pattern fills, etc.
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Sergeant

paradoxharbinger is on a distinguished road

any whoo gandalf, i'm looking at the old mapgen to see exactly how zoom affects things

Get The MapGen Alpha

Get The Dom3 Unit Maker

I'm shoulder high in crap, and my water-wings are flat!