This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old January 20th, 2009, 09:45 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road
Default An Open Letter to the PBW Community

It is my sad duty to inform you that the Space Empire Play By web site, PBW as it’s known by it’s loyal fans, will not be returning. At least not any time in the foreseeable future, and not ever in it’s current form. The server suffered a hard drive failure and due to poor planning and lack of diligence on my part, the backup plan was not sufficiently robust to recover the lost data.

If there is a bright side to this it is that the number of people seriously affected will be small. While we still have a dedicated core of game owners and players using the site regularly, time has taken it’s toll on our user base. For a site like this to last nearly a decade is extraordinary, but it is true that nothing lasts forever. While I always said I’d keep the site running as long as people wanted it and were using it, perhaps that was never a realistic commitment.

For those of you with active games currently on the site, we would love to be able to assist you in transitioning your games to PBEM or another format. Unfortunately, having lost all the user and game data, we are unable to render any such assistance. You can continue your game via email from your most recent turn if you can make contact with your game owner and the other players. If you are unable to contact your game owner, or if he does not have the game password, unfortunately your game has come to a premature and abrupt end as well.

My heartfelt thanks go out to all the PBW Admins over the years who helped me keep things running a smoothly as they did. You did what you did for the love of the game, asking nothing in return but the opportunity to play, and to be a part of building and maintaining this community.

Thanks to all the loyal game owners and players. Without you, this truly could not have happened. Again, I apologize for how this ended, but hopefully the effort put into providing you with this site for all these years will temper your feelings of disappointment.

Thanks to Malfador Machinations for creating such an addictive game. And thanks to all the folks at Shrapnel Games for supporting the game and the PBW site for all these years, even after your relationship with Malfador came to an end.

And a special thanks to the Admiral for starting this journey all those years ago. Though you haven’t been involved in the site for some time, you’ve always been a part of it. Your help and encouragement were crucial in keeping it going as long as it did, and your guidance has helped me in my career beyond PBW as well.

Sincerely,

Geoschmo
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geoschmo For This Useful Post:
Old January 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An Open Letter to the PBW Community

On the face of it, this seems like the saddest news yet. But you're right, it is impressive that the site was able to hold up, without even adverts, for so long. Maybe, if SE6 is groundbreaking like SE4, something like PBW will be needed again, and we'll hobble together something we'd all like.
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:27 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

2008 was a lousy f***ing year all the way around and 2009 isn't off to a grandiose start either with this disappointing news.

All those files, gone. Poof, like they never were. To say that this is a sad day for this community would be a tremendous understatement.

SE V, which should have revived and galvanized the community instead choked it off and brought about its withering death.

Thank you Geo for all the hard work and uber dedication to these games and the PBW site. It was home for many years as games would often last that long. (3 year games were the norm.)

I am so sad to see this happen.
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

While i participated of very few pbw games (a half a dozen at most) since i prefer more single than multiplayer because of schedule issues i want to give my heartflet thanks for the pbw, it´s rare to see such a professional job done for such a cheap cost for the average player (free!) and for such a long time.

I´m sad, but at the same time pround that SEIV went the same road of the old VGA Planets and Stars!, we can be pround as a community that SEIV can be compared with those classics. I myself will still play SEIV for a long time, as i still play Stars! from time to time.
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM

First Lieutenant

Xrati is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: An Open Letter to the PBW Community

Thank you Geo and all the people involved with PBW, for all the years of your hard work and effort in keeping a 'place to play' for all of us that used it!
Old January 21st, 2009, 01:40 PM

First Lieutenant

PsychoTechFreak is on a distinguished road

Although I am not one of the core players anymore, thanks to all PBW Admins, thanks to Geoschmo!
Old January 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: An Open Letter to the PBW Community

I guess this means we have to finish "PBW2" now. :P
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM

Captain

TurinTurambar is on a distinguished road

Thanks Geo, for all your hard work over the years. While I only ever played a handful of games there because of the ridiculous lifestyle I live, the ones I did were great fun. Those were great times and I miss them a lot.

Thanks again,
TT

Geekdom is eternal... you will be assimilated... resistance is futile.

A+ Se GdY S++ Fr- C* Cs* Sf- Ai++ Au>M! M- Mp! S@ Ss+ R! Pw+ Fq++ Nd? Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb-- L-- Tcp

'We, the weird, chasing the pointless, for no reason at all, have been finding out things that have no effect on anything important for at least a couple days and are now qualified to chase our tails to the merriment of all watching.'-Narf et al

"Of course, you don't want to be going about handing out immortality willy-nilly, that just wouldn't be responsible." -O'Shea
Old January 22nd, 2009, 12:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I once offered back at the birth of PBW.
I will gladly host for free an SEIV site. Full web, email, ftp, etc. An admin for the site (someone known here) can have an account. My systems have been available 24/7 for over 5 years now (for as long as Ive had this house, and will remain available for as long as I keep this house). I host online worlds and multiplayer games. A pbem server would be negligible load.
Some "references":
www.Dom3Minions.com
www.ShazzyShard.org
www.SDmud.org

Or it could always be a backup site kept up to date and quickly switched to in case of a problem with the primary site.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:48 PM

Brigadier General

mac5732 is on a distinguished road

I also forward my thanks to Geo for his exceptional time and dedication for PBW and it will be sorely missed. It was one of the things that kept this group together after SEV failed to live up to all the expectations and reduced the members using the forum. I hope everyone will stay or at least ck in here every so often just to say Hey so we know your still out there. Geo stop in at the cantina for a free brewski or two and everyone else to toast PBW's glorious run... (of course the bill will be put on someones tab hehehehehe ) ..... sorry to see pbw go.. it was fun for those who used it and will be sorely missed by everyone..... A

BEWARE; crochety old geezers play SE4, in between bathroom runs
Phong's Head Parking