Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old December 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hit percentage rant

I'm not talking about a single shot. I know that this is 1% all the time (assuming the percentages dont change over time which in the game they do, but in the situation I'm talking about they remained 1%). I'm talking about the possibility of taking 3 shots and score a hit every time. This is 1/100*1/100*1/100=1/100^3. For the coin example it's like I'm flipping the coin 3 times in a row and want to know the probability of getting heads (or tails) all 3 times. Admittedly, it's been a while since I fundled with probablity theory, so I'll look into a book I have to see if I'm talking Bravo Sierra...
Old December 30th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Repeating... the numbers shown are not the real numbers. At least not for infantry fire against other infantry from what I've seen.

If it says 1% for a tank firing the main gun then yeah 1%. Ditto SPAA. Infantry squad firing all of their infantry weapons at another infantry squad the odds are higher. Exactly what they are we do not know.

Don or Andy could answer this better. In all likelihood a forum search would reveal the answer

EDIT: From MobHack Help

Class 1 - This is the infantry primary weapon class. This covers Rifles, SMG and so forth. Infantry units with a class 1 weapon in weapon slot will have their fire effect adjusted for the number of men in the unit and range in hexes, less bonus at long range. This reflects the number of riflemen in the section. Inf Prime weapons not in slot 1 do not get this bonus.
Old December 30th, 2011, 01:19 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

That makes sense. Which also means that I have to change my tactics. Previously when my turn came, I blasted a single squad with every available unit until it fled or elliminated. Seems that by causing casualties to every available target I'll lessen the amount of casualties I sustain.
Old December 30th, 2011, 04:06 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
That makes sense. Which also means that I have to change my tactics. Previously when my turn came, I blasted a single squad with every available unit until it fled or elliminated. Seems that by causing casualties to every available target I'll lessen the amount of casualties I sustain.
Not so much casualties as suppression.
Even if you don't cause casualties when you fire at a unit you suppress it, this reduces the number of times it gets to fire back at you AND it's chance to hit when it does fire.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 30th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Corporal

BadCompany is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo View Post
actually I've had a lot of success using snipers- I rely on them a lot
same here, if used correctly they can be pretty deadly.

In a USMC vs Ukraine/Russia game, this lone Marine sniper single handed routed a platoon of men, supported by a Javelin team to take on the BTR's and the BMP's.
Old December 31st, 2011, 05:58 PM

Private

phil74501 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that I get different percentages from snipers. I can buy a cheaper sniper and only get 7% or so chance to hit. Which isn't much better than normal infantry squads. I can buy a more expensive sniper and get a 90% chance to hit. Which does make sense. Not all snipers are created equal.
Old December 31st, 2011, 07:32 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Personally I "love" waterborne craft in the game.
I've never noticed a landing craft or boat/ship to have a hit percentage higher then 5-10%.

Once as an experiment I parked an LST of my own making (1 x 3"/50 DP gun, 1 x Twin 40mm AA, 1 x Quad 20mm AA, 1 x Quad 50 cal AA, each with 180 ammo) 500m from a HMG nest and swapped fire with it for 20 turns. At the end of the test the crew aboard the LST had taken more casualties then the HMG nest.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:19 PM

Sergeant

scJazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil74501 View Post
I've noticed that I get different percentages from snipers. I can buy a cheaper sniper and only get 7% or so chance to hit. Which isn't much better than normal infantry squads. I can buy a more expensive sniper and get a 90% chance to hit. Which does make sense. Not all snipers are created equal.
The expensive ones have Range Finders and Fire Control ratings of around 10 or higher. Better scopes, better barrels, bipods, etc. Personally, if I use snipers at all I use the very expensive ones.
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:42 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I always buy the cheaper snipers and train them,when they get over 95% exp, then buy an upgrade.
Makes it less a heartbreak than losing a expensive sniper in early battles.

As already said before,it just takes one lucky shot to make a dead sniper,unless it's a team.

Last edited by gila; December 31st, 2011 at 09:02 PM..
Old January 1st, 2012, 12:38 PM

Sergeant

runequester is on a distinguished road

I use snipers rather extensively in my current soviet campaign and they are well worth the cost in my opinion. I've managed several times to inflict casualties on a dug in enemy with sniper fire, then the infantry can go in and clean them out.