.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Corporal

Andre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: You cannot beat me

I will own your undead in a mountain rich map with any other race. It's on!
Old September 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM

Corporal

Regarding balance issues and who goes first, I guess that's a whole 'nother layer of game on top of the game. Each player is giving information to the other about tactics for the race each is playing. Isn't it a 2-way street? And learning/adapting your strategy is always a factor. There are copy cat strategists that learn poorly, and will lose more often to the better learner.

Having your opponent beat you with a race you find unfavorable, may make that race become your new favorite. And if the "trick" to winning with that race just became obvious for the first time, then it could be argued that starting the next game right away is in your opponent's favor, but waiting a long time (days) could also be to his advantage b/c you may forget the feel of his tactics.

What's your favorite way to play the game of who goes first? Maybe let your opponent choose his race and the map first, then you get to counter with your choice of race last. Then switch roles for the 2nd game.
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:26 PM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hiro_Antagonist said:
Hey! There shouldn't *be* an "unfavorable" side. =)

If there is, it means you beta testers didn't do a good enough job finding balance issues!

(... or I didn't listen when you pointed them out. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist
Hey Hiro,

That was like the most silly statements I have heard in a while. I have yet to see a game that has different races, that the race had different units from each other and that the map was not tailored to a specific match up been ever balanced. It is just not possible. And to blame the beta tester or state that you did not listen was just plain [CENSORED]!!!

That aside, LOL has a very awesome game due to the fact that the races are not balanced and the map does not help with the balance. LOL is more true to life than most other games because of this unbalance factor. When has the USA ever battle an opponent that was equal in power or ability?!? Look in history and you will see that the great historical battles were always slanted one way or another. However, the most notable of all the historical battles were that of a weaker force overcoming a more powerful force by using whatever factor it needed to do so. My most memorable and enjoyable games were when I had the less effective race and used the map to help minimize my weakness. When the game is so balance it comes down to the fact that the one that makes the first move or first mistake determine the game outcome. With LOL the swaying of the balance keeps the outcome hard to see. This makes the game re-playable over and over again.

Regarding Undead
You really think Undead is the best race? I realy like the fact that during your offesive you can actually increase your army size! The abilities of the Undead units are very fun and interesting to explore. However, I find that the Human are better than the Undead due to the fact that they do not smell. In addition, the Human has a more rounded selection of units. It has an effective expansion unit, offense unit, and a defense unit. Then you throw in the top unit that just mess up the offense of the opponent. On top of these factors you throw on the fact that the paladin icon is just darn cute. Regardless I will play you a match against your beloved Undead against a random race on a random map. Unless you want to let me choose my race and the map. I do not suggest you do this do to the fact that I am a "cheater" and/or "abuser".

Regarding mirror game play.
That is a great idea!! However, it does make a huge difference which play play which race first in the game. I have played a few times with my buddy and with each game we play he learns more of my tactics and uses it against me with even more effectiveness. But your idea of the mirror match game seems to be the most simple and fair way to determine who is better. Until someone suggest a better method I agree with you.

Regarding my race of choice.
My current favorite race is dwarves. They suck at expansion. Weak on offense. And the defense is hard to set up. But if you play it the right way, all the weakness comes together and become a strength!!! Purchase a copy of LOL and when it goes on-line, anyone that wants to see this in action can challenge me to a match.
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

I think the dwarves are one of the more powerful races if such a thing truely exists. I find the game quite balanced. The tank is a beast to try and kill abd its got big damage for the range it has. The sniper is one of the best defensive and offensive units if you use it correctly. On maps with rivers if you get your snipers setup on one side the enemy will have a very hard time getting across with anything less than their best units. Also snipers are good for killing units guarding cities. The thopter is just a fun unit. The hammer unit(cant remember its name right now) gives a armor boost and if you use it on one of your tanks it becomes almost invincible unless it gets trapped.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old September 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Corporal

Nothing worse than getting your tank pinned on a city with a Hag in front of it, bypassing all that lovely armor with free hits. Long live The Afflicted.

I agree that the Dwarves are probably the best for attacking and defending in general for pretty much any condition. But, the Snipers need the Ornithopters (cheapy bombers) to keep enemy units from running in on them while they're repositioning.
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Nothing will help you... when the time comes to confront me in the game...LOL
Old September 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Ordered today - can't wait to play you all. Judging from the demo, I think I'll be able to give you guys a decent match
Old September 21st, 2005, 05:05 PM

Corporal

Great! Looks like there's at least 5 of us serious about getting online and hashing it out. I'll expect to see you guys in the game lobby. I'll be logged in as GreenGoose, if not Andre.
Old September 25th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Private

nullpixels is on a distinguished road

I will conquer the world! I hope to see alot of people online.

I'll be online as NullPixels and I'm trying to get the word out to people about the game so that I can play more battles online. [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/VikingHelm.gif[/img] [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/icon42.gif[/img]

Old October 4th, 2005, 12:24 AM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road

Sounds like we are gonna have some fun! Glad to see you are into it everyone. Get ready to get school in tactics.

Remember, tactics is basically all about position and timing.