This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old November 17th, 2005, 11:46 PM

Private

SupaJames is on a distinguished road
Default A Serenity/Firefly Mod

Well, I'm still new to the game, but I've already got the 'verse mapped out pretty well. Now I'm working on some components, and I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea on how I might do this than I do: I was hoping to implement a "crybaby," which is essentially a decoy that emitted a distress signal of the same kind as an attacking ship, with the intended effect of the attacker breaking off his attack to "rescue" the distressed ship. I was hoping there'd be some way to make your ship untargetable to the enemy (unless you fired upon them or something of that sort) or to send the enemy after the crybaby, which would be a satelite launched elsewhere in the system. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or want to lend their expertise to a Firefly mod?
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Serenity/Firefly Mod

Well, I have 2 untextured Reaver Ships about 90% complete, you can have em when I'm done.
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Captain

bearclaw is on a distinguished road

IIRC the only type of unit you can launch are mines and fighters. I would imagine that you could have a specialized fighter that would do the same thing. Only, to get anything to "rescue" it, they would have to actually target and fire on it. AFAIK, you can't do much of anything to affect friendly ships.

Although... it may be possible that if the 'crybaby' fighter had an illigal component on it that may do the trick for friendlies. Although it may also register as you carrying illigal cargo as well which would defeat the whole point... Worth testing though.
A+ Se+++ GdY $++ Fr- C+ Csp Sf* AuO M++ MpTFdAM St RTNH Pw++ Fq++ Nd++ Rp++ G++ Mm++ Bb++ L+ Tcp-
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

If the object you launch has illegal cargo, but itself is not illegal, then you are OK to carry it on your ship.

Fighters are indeed quite handy as decoys; launch one, tell it to attack, and then run away while the enemies are distracted.
Such a strategy works far better in a mod like P&Nism, than th estock game, since fighters can actually survive for a while.

Also, note that you can launch just about anything you like if you have the appropriate mod.
You could for example, squeeze a whole carrier out of a launch bay. The Carrier would then proceed to launch its own fighters, and you could order the carrier to attack/retreat/etc

It would look quite silly, unless it were to be a space station or other huge object launching the ships, of course.
Old November 19th, 2005, 01:52 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Squeeze a carrier out of a launch bay... hmm, that makes me think of some sort of sensor decoys
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Private

Well, I'm testing my map of the 'Verse, and as I started the campaign, it gave me an "invalid index" error; any ideas on that? I'm using some randomly generated maps right now, the only things I've changed is copying another campaign's heder data to mine. The races don't match up with the systems, would that do it?
Old November 19th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the information in this thread will be of use.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Private

Well, it's not any of those things, so I'll keep looking.

I got the Crybaby working pretty well. The illegal cargo isn't detected, but it fires a torpedo that gets their attention. There's still two things I can't quite figure out, though:

1) Is there any way to get weapons to do 0 damage and still fire? Some sort of unused damage type, perhaps?
2) I made a crybaby layout based on the human satelite with the SlotModder and saved it, everything looks good. But for some reason, whenever you launch it, it has the right layout, but there is no transmitter weapon. But, if you change the layout to the satelite, the crybaby components are attatched. Have I missed something that I needed to change?
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

1 damage point is completely useless in a weapon. No need to be exactly zero unless I'm missing something.

Try checking the slot names, and make sure the appropriate types of slots are being used. Facings, weapon firing points, and slot name may all be important.
The easiest way to be sure it is good, is to load the satellite layout (since you know it works), then rearrange the existing slots to the shape you want, and finally save it under a new name.
Old November 21st, 2005, 09:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to have a ship always trail "smoke", like in adition to engine glow?(you know where I'm going with this....see attachment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 393604-reavertestrender.jpg (22.5 KB, 324 views)