Notices

Old December 29th, 2020, 10:06 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Soviet OOB11 - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
experiment

Try Opacity 15% and density 40% and use "nearest color matching" when applying the game Icon palette. Use white ( or black.....it doesn't matter which)
I will give it a try over the next couple of days. Thank you for the hints and tips.
Old December 29th, 2020, 10:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Also, try using the free hand tool with feathering 1-4 to draw a "camo" pattern on the Icon then use the grey wash on those areas then apply the palette... one might work and 4 may not...experiment

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old December 30th, 2020, 04:39 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I noticed the in-service date for the Tupolev TB-3 was a bit early so I built a Tupolev TB-1 to fill the gap...... I doubt anyone will actually use it but it was fun to build. The TB-1 is significant in that it was the first twin-engined, all-metal, cantilever monoplane to enter production in the world and adds a bit of spice to a "what-if" Russian-Japanese pre 1935 battle

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tupolev TB-1.png
Views:	403
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	16248  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; December 30th, 2020 at 04:48 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old December 31st, 2020, 03:28 PM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Look there http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/b/1387/1/0

TB-1 was used also in navy with float plane and as a transport during WW2 looking on camo is with post 1943 stars

This is also interesting TB-3 from civilian polar aviation in silver-orange colours used as a bomber probably on far north in night harassment
http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/b/660/1_o/0
Old December 31st, 2020, 04:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I knew it was used as a transport after being phased out as a bomber but the only transports relevant to the game are para transports and it was not used for that

Old December 31st, 2020, 05:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

My SOP for camoing Icons is to build one of each colour then draw the camo and cut it out and past it into the base colour. If it's a three-tone camo then you do that once for every colour not the base colour.Sometimes I feather it.....sometimes I don't. For winter camo I generally feather it

A technique I use occasionally is to enlarge the Icon 400% then outline the area I want to use for camo. When it's pasted in the Icon then can be reduced 25% and you will be back to normal game size and then apply the palette. Occasionally I use error diffusion but normally it's nearest colour. Sometimes one works better but usually nearest colour is best

The advantage of increasing the size 4x is you can draw a bit more complicated pattern with more control than it would be possible at 1:1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image9.png
Views:	390
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	16249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image9-300.png
Views:	386
Size:	3.0 KB
ID:	16250  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 1st, 2021, 04:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Adding a footnote:

Only about 68 x KTs-20 gliders were built 1942-43; and many were destroyed immediately upon completion of their missions:

"The gliders worked the most, helping the partisan detachments. Sometimes up to fifteen heavy gliders were immediately sent at night for the front line to the partisan airfields. They did not return back - the partisans burned them."
-- Pavel Tsybin, chief designer of the KTs-20 and Ts-25.
Old January 1st, 2021, 04:14 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yep....it's why I never bothered to add them to the OOB until now.

Quote:
The Kolesnikov-Tsybin KC-20 was the biggest, but least numerous of the Soviet military gliders of World War II and was a high-wing, wooden construction glider, with a double tailfin.*
Like Antonov A-7 and Gribovski G-11, they were mainly used for supplying Soviet partisans with provisions, weapons, equipment and trained men and were towed mainly at night by DB-3 bombers.*
68 were built in 1942-1943.*

I am surprised they were burnt. Nothing says " here we are" like a bunch of burning gliders

Last edited by DRG; January 1st, 2021 at 04:22 PM..
Old January 2nd, 2021, 09:44 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
I am surprised they were burnt. Nothing says " here we are" like a bunch of burning gliders
Well, gliders need a lot of space to land safely, especially if you're landing more than one. If you're a German patrol in an area, finding a bunch of gliders in an empty field is going to be a big alarm signal "ACHTUNG PARTISANEN"

Presumably what they did was try and chop them up with axes for firewood (since they were wooden) and drag away as many pieces that could be rendered draggable, and then burn the remainder.

I would imagine that as long as you kept the fire below a certain size, the Germans wouldn't investigate -- it's 1942 and canned propane for camping stoves isn't yet a thing for a long time; and there would be a lot of civilian population out and about doing things.

EDIT: The SOP for Soviet Glider Landings for Partisan support was to have an "airfield" that was carefully prepared in the daylight, and then wait for nighttime, and when the friendly plane was overhead that night (presumably flashing running lights in a code pattern), light a series of bonfires to lay out the path of the "runway" for glider landing.

Another thing I realized regarding bonfires -- gliders are pretty big and have a pretty regular shape -- they'd be easily spottable from the air, and not every airfield is going be laid out allowing gliders to be draggable into the woods or placed under cover before the morning Fiesler storch observation flight by the Anti-Partisan Group.

Last edited by MarkSheppard; January 2nd, 2021 at 09:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkSheppard For This Useful Post:
Old January 4th, 2021, 10:28 AM

First Lieutenant

blazejos is on a distinguished road

Just found photo of TB-1 with floats

And interesting story of ANT-7/R-6 which was an scaled down one third TB-1 which became light bomber and reconnaissance aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_ANT-7

Only surviving aircraft is in Kiev technical school in aviartica orange-blue paint.

Here the story of aircraft as a light bomber was used until 1935 and then in polar aviation and transport probably also during WW2
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9054331

http://www.oldjets.net/kiev-technical-school.html

Here are photos description and schematics
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...ssia/ant-7.htmhttp://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/b/662/1/0

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/b/662/1/0

Just thinking if is possible in the same way scale down TB-1 icon