.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old January 2nd, 2021, 07:27 PM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road
Default Asal Uttar

This scenario is a nightmare. The Pakistani forces have no chance of willing or even getting a draw.

The battle lasted 15 turns, I had to 4 tanks, 1 jeep, and the APC with the HQ unit and two out of four fights and my artillery. The computer had mercy and end the game at this point. Decisive Defeat.

The biggest issue was that the 90mm guns could hardly kill things. Taking four hits or more if the gunner was lucky and the AI only had to move two tanks, the rest sat there like metal forts.

I came up through the woods, using teams of tanks, leapfrogging and still, it was a slaughter. I sent three tanks along the railroad line thinking I could get a flanking force...and almost made that happen until the AI caught on and blasted one tank to impotent status with ALL weapons gone in one hit. The other two took out Sherman together...Yay me....only to die from other three Shermans and a Centurion.

Yeah, this one had me almost wanting to strangle the Paki commander thrice over. Court Martial has to be in his future.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 07:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Asal Uttar

There are two Asal Uttar scenarios.....39 and 102. Which one are you referring to?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 2nd, 2021, 10:38 PM

BANNED USER

39 is the one I referring to.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 10:40 PM

BANNED USER

The one with the large SWAMP on each side and you play as the Paki side, the 102 one is in a farming area with no swamp or woods and you play as the Indian side.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 11:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

The same one that the scenario write up says....

Quote:
At close range, Indian antitank teams ambushed the Pakistani tanks, and, at ranges of 400 to 500 meters, Indian Shermans, AMX-13s, and Centurions opened fire from three sides.*
The Pakistani brigade effectively ceased to exist.

sounds like you got the historical result.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old January 2nd, 2021, 11:08 PM

BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The same one that the scenario write up says....

Quote:
At close range, Indian antitank teams ambushed the Pakistani tanks, and, at ranges of 400 to 500 meters, Indian Shermans, AMX-13s, and Centurions opened fire from three sides.*
The Pakistani brigade effectively ceased to exist.

sounds like you got the historical result.

Don
Oh, I got that alright...in fact I was about to start a general withdrawal aka run like hell when the game stopped. I read the write-up, and was like okay let's use the woods, keep the tanks together and use their weapons to support each other use what infantry I have as flankers, and move slowly...yeah that was a mistake. 20pdrs, 105s, and 76mm guns made quick work of the armor and jeeps. The Paki's 90s were bouncing off the armor of even the AMX tanks.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that was one of my few decisive defeats against the AI (another one being one scenario in SPWW2). You are practically forced to fight long range against an enemy superior to you in long range fighting.

That being said, I played that scenario in 2011 when I was a complete newbie to the game. In this situation, I'd use mortars (if the player has them, I don't remember if you actually have them in this scenario) or tank guns to create smoke screens and try to close the distance. I do vaguely remember that the few times I managed to close the distance the tank exchange ratio was more even.

If I find time I might give this scenario a second try. There is a very good chance that I won't get anything better than a draw, but I'm confident that I won't lose that badly as in the first time.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 02:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Sometimes the challenge is simply to do better even though the odds are against you. The best scenarios are the ones that keep you coming back every couple years to try them again. That's not to say this is the best scenario for that but most players don't like getting mopped up by the AI.... and I doubt you are the only one thinking of giving this one a try again. This is a winMBTv2 scenario released in 2006.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old January 3rd, 2021, 02:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Remember that in the real battle, the Pakistanis had absolutely no idea they were in a kill sack till they were in it.

Here, you are forewarned and can try something like firing smoke since you are not surprised the Indians are out there.

But as Don says - in some situations all you can do is replay and see if you do better pointswise next time.
Old January 3rd, 2021, 03:05 PM

BANNED USER

Being beaten by the AI, when it does something different and doesn't swamp you with tanks or artillery or game you to win then, hey it happens. I am happy to get a draw most of the time.

Since you guys took away our ability to game the game with first turn arty attacks on the AI...