.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old October 16th, 2003, 12:04 AM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road
Default Xerathul\'s revenge (module discussion thread)

I finally finished my new module! here it is:

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5

(Extract this file in your modules directory)

The module was completely build from scratch, and contains a lot of new graphics. I experimented a bit with the mapgenerator, and was able to do some really nice things. (It's possible to create very interesting random maps in dungeon oddysey, I was able to make some nice maps and I think I only scratched the surface of what is possible)
It's a shame that the demo for dungeon oddysey does such a poor job at showing these possibilities, it seems that all the maps in the demo are quite straightforward and boring.. (the horrible square city blocks of Tarlumain... )

The module contains work from the following people

Tweaked classes.txt file by Rollo and David Gervais.
Graphics:
David Gervais
Lord Kodos
Myself (all the bmp files with the HB_ prefix)

Notable gameplay differences from the crown of the magi/crack of doom modules that were added in 0.5

0.50 : *Spellsystem changed to prevent abuse of the infamous "spell effect stacking bug"
-spells/skills like barkskin, berserk etc, that increase stats of the caster are automatically activated, and can no longer be cast (to prevent multicasting and bonus stacking) affected spells: Barkskin, Berserk, Cleansing Armor, Cloack of Darkness, Cold Enchant, Deadly Precision, Fire Armor, Fire Enchant, Giant Strength, Ice Armor, Lightning Armor, Lightning Enchant, Magic Armor, Magic Shield, Nature's bounty, Rage and Vigor.
-The lightspell will still stack, but it's casting cost has been increased, while casting lightspell at a higher level has been made more effective.

*Monsters will drop less gold and potions, but can drop other items like corpses with magical effects (yes I play too much nethack ) armor and other things.

*added the tweaked classes.txt file by Rollo and David Gervais.
-Early XP levels are more expensive. Higher levels are cheaper.
-priests can use slings, fighters can use bows/crossbows

*added torches (terrainobjects) that can be lit/unlit by rightclicking them in the game (like opening doors)

I hope to add new levels to this mod in future releases ( this Version still has an open ending),also new Versions should generate more random maps, in an attempt to make every game really different and to add more replayability.

[ March 29, 2004, 09:55: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:48 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Xerathul\'s revenge (module discussion thread)

Yeah! Good news. I'll have to get this after work. Can't wait to give it a run.

The changes you made to the spells/skills sounds interesting.

I'll let you know if I found any bugs, and maybe send some ideas your way.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:24 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

I got it! I got it! Haha, I was first .
Muahahahaha...

*Rollo dashes off to play DO.
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:36 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road

first impression: this is excellent Henk! I am just running around town talking to people and enjoying the the scenery. Very well done.
Can't wait to actually enter the graveyard...
BTW, the sheep rock .

more detail later...
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old October 16th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

Awesome job!!

I have only have uncovered the town area, and have done the first quest (wolves), and the second quest (key). I'm having a bLast, and I love the use of the tiles you have in there for the buildings, forest, and graveyard areas.

My only suggestions so far is that I think you should add some monsters in the forest areas in the town level, there is alot to explore and nothing to kill or find, maybe a few items, gold, or chests in some of the dead end areas? Exploring the area was fun but I was thinking I would find something in there.

I guess it's random but I didn't get anything for any of the chests in the houses in town.

Because of lack of items, and gold, I have a very hard time with the mine level with my level 1 Cleric, I must have died 10 times or more down there from the wolves. The graveyard was easy because of Turn Undead, need to replay with another class I think after I'm done with Cleric.

Adding some items, monsters, and/or gold, would allow the player to level up to 2, and maybe buy some better items. Maybe I should have gone to the graveyard map first, but I figured killing the wolves would be easier.

Love the sheep, it's a very nice touch.
Not sure if it's a new graphic, but I love the town cryer guy, very cool.

Liked the fact that one guy moved from the other town, and that his reason ties into the other 2 'offical' Mods story, very cool idea, and done well. Overall all the dialogue is written very nicely.

Graveyard area, very, very cool. I love the usage of the bridges. Nice graphic look to everything. Not sure if you can but it might be cool to add coffins that you can open to get gold or a simple item. All those areas with the fences and coffins are cool, but when I first saw the coffins I tried to open them up, hehe.

Not sure if it's a new graphic, but the guards for the tower look awesome. I like how the leader doesn't look exactly the same as the grunts.

The new items I have seen like the bone armor, and wand, are very nice.

A few things that could make the game easier to play:

I'm haven't seen one yet (maybe there are already in there), but it would be good to add a portal in town that takes you to the graveyard (like Crown of the Magi), and any other areas that you goto alot. Going from the graveyard to town to sell gets boring, and is slow, might not be so bad if you add wandering monsters to the forest outside of town.

Not sure if this can be changed but a clear exit from the mine, and between the forest and graveyard would be better, IMHO. Currently it's a 'magic space' floating in air you can't see. I would move the exit to the graveyard to the border of the forest if you can. I would move the exit to the forest from the mines to the gray colored wall against the border in the mine if you can.

Like I said loving it so far, it's really great work! I'll post any more ideas/bugs I have as I continue to play if you want input on your Module.

Going into the tower...

[ October 16, 2003, 06:41: Message edited by: DarkStar ]
Old October 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkStar:

My only suggestions so far is that I think you should add some monsters in the forest areas in the town level, there is alot to explore and nothing to kill or find, maybe a few items, gold, or chests in some of the dead end areas? Exploring the area was fun but I was thinking I would find something in there.

I guess it's random but I didn't get anything for any of the chests in the houses in town.

I kind of neglected the town area (and no there is nothing in the chests yet, sorry). I'll add more stuff to that in future releases, maybe some Groups of undead that made it into the town, to make things look more dramatic, some minor quests, and maybe some thiefs or other bandits.
I do however want the town to be a more or less save place, I won't add too many monsters.
Quote:

Because of lack of items, and gold, I have a very hard time with the mine level with my level 1 Cleric, I must have died 10 times or more down there from the wolves. The graveyard was easy because of Turn Undead, need to replay with another class I think after I'm done with Cleric.

I must admit that I only tested the module with a fighter, so the other classes might be a bit unbalanced.

some tips: return from the cave to buy some better weapons after levelling (the quality of weapons in Gnimwick's shop should increase every time you level). Gnimwick might even have a decent cheap weapon for sale before you go on your first quest.

Try to allways fight one enemy at a time by using narrow passages or terrain obstacles

take a few skills in the weapon you are using as fast as you can.

Buy healing potions from Jarwena the Witch, the chance for monsters to drop them is much lower compared to the stock game, but they are important (and quite cheap)
Quote:

Adding some items, monsters, and/or gold, would allow the player to level up to 2, and maybe buy some better items. Maybe I should have gone to the graveyard map first, but I figured killing the wolves would be easier.

It is. The graveyard is quite dangerous to new characters (Azrad will tell you this)

Quote:

Love the sheep, it's a very nice touch.
Not sure if it's a new graphic, but I love the town cryer guy, very cool.

Liked the fact that one guy moved from the other town, and that his reason ties into the other 2 'offical' Mods story, very cool idea, and done well. Overall all the dialogue is written very nicely.

Graveyard area, very, very cool. I love the usage of the bridges. Nice graphic look to everything. Not sure if you can but it might be cool to add coffins that you can open to get gold or a simple item. All those areas with the fences and coffins are cool, but when I first saw the coffins I tried to open them up, hehe.

You evil graverobber! It's a nice idea though, and it should be possible. I might add it for the next Version.

Quote:

Not sure if it's a new graphic, but the guards for the tower look awesome. I like how the leader doesn't look exactly the same as the grunts.

The new items I have seen like the bone armor, and wand, are very nice.

The bone armor was done by David Gervais, it's very cool indeed . I only did the graphics with the HB_ prefixes in the pictures directory.

Quote:

A few things that could make the game easier to play:

I'm haven't seen one yet (maybe there are already in there), but it would be good to add a portal in town that takes you to the graveyard (like Crown of the Magi), and any other areas that you goto alot. Going from the graveyard to town to sell gets boring, and is slow, might not be so bad if you add wandering monsters to the forest outside of town.

Not sure if this can be changed but a clear exit from the mine, and between the forest and graveyard would be better, IMHO. Currently it's a 'magic space' floating in air you can't see. I would move the exit to the graveyard to the border of the forest if you can. I would move the exit to the forest from the mines to the gray colored wall against the border in the mine if you can.

Good suggestions, thanks!
Quote:

Like I said loving it so far, it's really great work! I'll post any more ideas/bugs I have as I continue to play if you want input on your Module.

Going into the tower...
Thanks for the feedback, and good luck on your quest! (watch out for those gribusses..)

Henk

[ October 16, 2003, 10:38: Message edited by: henk brouwer ]

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:03 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

Yeeeeehaaaa, I killed the big bad wolf.

what's this... he dropped a pelt. hmmm very nice graphic.

I like this idea, make different kinds of pelts/skins/hides and have some animals drop them. The player could become a 'Fur Trader' to make some extra cash.

Now I'm off to the graveyard,... should I be afread? very afread?

Cheers!
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by David E. Gervais:
Hooowieeeee, the Wolf den is sweet. Very nice cave feeling to it, nicely done.

I used the cavewall set that you created some time ago for that map, I really liked those tiles and added a few of my own for the floor etc.

Quote:

I like what you have done with the tree gorups to add variety. I also see you have created many new decorations. Great job. I like the tree-stumps (now where is the evil lumberjack that is stealing all the trees?)
Rollo has a simmilar forest level, without the buildings etc. hidden somewhere in his hack and slash module. In fact, now my module is finished I'm going to have another try at hack and slash

Quote:

I died several times but managed to kill all but the big bad wolf, I'll need to get better equipment before going back to try and kill him.

Gonna go sell my loot and see if I can get a better weapon than my mangled mace.

I'll be back with more comments.

Cheers!
The big bad wolf can be a pain if he is generated with certain intrinsics.. good luck!

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by David E. Gervais:
Yeeeeehaaaa, I killed the big bad wolf.

what's this... he dropped a pelt. hmmm very nice graphic.

I like this idea, make different kinds of pelts/skins/hides and have some animals drop them. The player could become a 'Fur Trader' to make some extra cash.

Now I'm off to the graveyard,... should I be afread? very afread?

Cheers!
Don't forget to give the pelt to Mirjelle, she needs proof of your heroic deeds

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:01 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road

omg, the grave yard is extremely well done. I love the tone and feel of the graphics. Henk you're making me look bad. Actually I'm very happy that you have taken the time to do new graphics. This makes the game especially fun for me. It also goes to show how someone can completely change the feel of the game by just creating new graphics.

Now I'm off to see where this brass key takes me.. probably to my death, but don't worry, the autosave is on and I know how to reload.

Cheers!

[ October 16, 2003, 15:01: Message edited by: David E. Gervais ]