This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old January 19th, 2009, 05:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Intimidator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Star Wars

Yeah, I understand, but I must honnestly say, that I have the feeling that I'm making this mod for only 5 people.
and that's not really motivating me
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:45 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road

That's unfortunate, though I suspect more would like to see that come to completion than the handful who've posted here

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM

Sergeant

Ironmanbc is on a distinguished road

like me
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM

Corporal

Alikiwi is on a distinguished road

It's very likely Black_Knyght is right. I discussed my mod on SE.net and probably had imput from about the same number of people. Since I posted it just before Xmas, 78 copies have been uploaded! So chances are at least that many and probably more will be wanted of a new Star Wars Mod.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:09 PM

First Lieutenant

Intimidator is on a distinguished road

I will take it up again , I promise
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

You are running into the same problem I ran into. I think that people will start playing the game again once they realize that their is no viable alternative. The loss of the PBW site was a catastrophic blow to the remnants of this community. The loss of all that data, games, downloads, members, etc is just to insurmountable to recover from. Yet, if SFI will would release the source code for SE IV, beings how they own the rights, a short lived revival would be had and who knows, perhaps even a complete resuscitation of interest in this game could be sparked with new innovations and such.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:33 PM

Captain

Thumbs up Re: Star Wars

I thoroughly agree with AT here!!!

Additionally, I think if the mod came out of the "working" stage and was made available, more interest and interaction would occur. That'd certainly spur up some involvement too.

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

A couple of things I would have loved to have seen added to SE IV would have been:

1. The ability to set any component as required to any design.
This would be great for those special one of a kind weapons or components being required for X design only. Much like must have life support, could set, must have component Family: XXX on this design to make it valid.

2. One per empire limit ability for Facilities, and components.
This would be used for Palace and or specialty facilities or components. Say One Emperor, or One Vader.

3. Ability to have specialty facilities for specific planet types. Such as Cloud City facility for Gas Giants.

4. Higher limit on the amount of mounts you could have, say 255 per technology type. (Empire Technology = 255 possible mounts.)

5. The option to give ships the ability to become cargo. (Much like fighters.)

6. True counter Intel options.

7. The ability to set multiple types of damage per weapon. IE, Ion cannon will damage both Engines, Weapons, and Shields. etc

8. FIX the AI so that when you restrict a component it won't use it or exceed the limit for that component type.

9. FIX the problem with the AI not building and keeping the set amount of ships as indicated in such and such file. (Don't recall the file name.)

10 A UI based ship designer that you can use to custom design ships then have it generate a design file for it that can be placed into the Design_txt file. This way you know exactly what will go on the ship because you placed it their and the AI will follow that format.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Captain

I agree completely!!! Those are all excellent ideas!

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I will never understand why Aaron didn't take the best of SE IV, improve upon the UI, and go with that for SE V.

I have been cut completely out of the loop for SE VI and given the dismal sales for SE V, I wonder if there will ever be a sixth installment to the game.

I recommended a while back that they should have released SE V under a different name... Space Empires - Evolution or something.

If they do come out with a new game, that'll have to be the road they go down. To call a game Space Empires VI would be an injustice and bad marketing IMHO.

SE V had a lot of great attributes, none of which inspired me to play it. The weakness out paced the benefits thus turning off my interest in playing the game. However SE IV still holds my interest albeit at a substantially reduced value these days.

I think, rather hope, that people will turn back toward the game once they realize that nothing new is coming out. PC gaming is on its final legs these days and the industry knows it. So most developers are focusing on console games and downsizing their PC options.

The spirit of innovation has been killed off one independent developer at a time. Gobbled up by the big evil mass marketing companies like EA games and others.

It was only 12 years ago that the spirit of radical innovation was alive and thriving, but now, the fields that were once busting with life life are but a desolate waste land. We are stuck with inferior clones of clone of sequals of great games. Gone are the inspirational "Got to have it" games that drove the industry for years. Even the PC game magazines are dead, or dying. The games of today are so lack luster filled with eye candy but no depth. Easy to play, and quick to bore are the standards of today.

Case in point, EAW, Lucas Arts aging game that could have been a lot more than it ultimately was. I played Empires At War and the expansion version and just couldn't get into them. They lacked depth. They offered nothing but ground hog day play. I grew bored with the game within hours. Same thing with GalCiv 2.

GalCiv 2 was really really boring. My God was that a dull *** game.

I tried Sins of a solar empire and a few other games but found them all to be repetitive and boring.

It is funny now that a simple basic browser game like Cyber nations holds my interest as captivity as SE IV once had. Out of all the games there are, this simple free to play game is the most appealing to me. Go figure.

One more thing I would have loved to have seen done with SE IV would have been:

11. The ability to more than one type of construction facility to the planet. One for ships, one for fighters, and one for troops. And for the AI to use them equally and build them.

12. The ability to set a requirement as to what facilities you want the AI to build and it actually would build them. As it is now, it be broken. The AI builds what the AI is hard coded to build. As it is now, I have to come up with a work around and that is proving to be impossible. (Another reason I burned out.)