.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

It is clearly visible on my machine. Its also very clear because of "fog of war".
Places you (or your ally) have not explored or scyed yet are black.
Places you have explored but have no one there now, are dim and terrain only is visible.
Places you own, and a certain area around it (depending on type) are brightly lit up. And you can see other armies there. This is true even if you dont have a unit parked there.

So with abit of attention you CAN see enemy army activities in your zone. And the maps are not incredibly huge like Dom3. (not yet anyway but Im pushing on it)
Old January 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

On any given turn you could lose upwards of 15 or 20 forests if you can flag them (like e.g. Druid and Witch can), so that idea loses its appeal really fast. The constant messages would become really aggravating in short order.

At max zoom you can see ownership of squares just fine (at least for the brighter or stronger colors like red, yellow, white etc), even though the only recognizable things are the general terrain features and some of the more distinctive structures (e.g. city). However, you won't even need max zoom and if you just zoom out at the beginning of a turn, you should be able to see if any of your holdings have a fat line across them.

The darker colors like blue have a little bit harder at max zoom, but you really don't need it that far out.

Playing on max zoom all the time is practically impossible.
Old January 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrave View Post
Errr, why don't you guys stop asking questions and just wait & see how it is when it comes out? When you were all kids, did you cross-examine Santa/parents about every little detail of whatever present you were going to get?
As a matter of fact I STILL cross-examine Santa/parents about every little detail of whatever present I'm going to get.

Also, we're asking questions because we're excited. Some of the answers we hear might serve to allow us the opportunity to make suggestions.
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I dont mind answering the questions. As long as they are in the mood of curiosity. There wouldnt be much discussion without them. And it does spark some suggestions.

On the previous subject. I forgot that losses of any type are marked by a solid bar thru them of your color
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:30 AM

Sergeant

Doo is on a distinguished road

Cheers for answering the questions Edi and Gandalf.

I am pretty keen on this game but have been burnt on games I was pretty keen on in the past. Its good to have questions answered.

CoE2 had magic items, not made by the player but occasionally you would come across them. Anything like this in CoE3?
Old January 16th, 2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Cheers for answering the questions Edi and Gandalf.

I am pretty keen on this game but have been burnt on games I was pretty keen on in the past. Its good to have questions answered.

CoE2 had magic items, not made by the player but occasionally you would come across them. Anything like this in CoE3?
Yes, there are several dozen different magic items, some of which can be very powerful. Most of them give minor benefits, but some of the powerful stuff in the right hands can be quite a game changer, especially if you luck out early on.

Old friends from Dominions include Monolith Armor and Aseftik's Armor, Serpent Kryss, Demon Whip and Frost and Fire Brands among others.
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

The video seems to be down. I have been trying to watch it for 2 days, but its not streaming at all.
Old January 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok-X View Post
The video seems to be down. I have been trying to watch it for 2 days, but its not streaming at all.
It's streaming just fine. You actually have to press the play button at the lower left corner of the video to start it up. And make sure your flash player is up to date.
Old January 17th, 2012, 01:57 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
High Cultist (Chulhu/Rlyeh) creates spawned aquatic hybrids and insane peasants automatically at any seaside town or port they take
Hopefully the land AI opponents are smart enough to attack water provinces in Conquest of Elysium 3, because in Dominions_2 and especially in Dominions_3 most of the AI opponents had critical problems with attacking water provinces.
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:12 AM

In CoE3 there are no provinces, there are squares. In water squares, there is nothing. No underwater forts, no resources or anything else so far. So water can be safely ignored unless somebody uses amphibian units to sneak attack from the sea. Not a great concern most of the time.

Hiding out in the ocean is also not going to do anyone any good, since as soon as they lose all forts, they are eliminated.