This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ideas how to improve WinSP MBT/WW2 !

Concerning immobilized vehicles: I am aware of the quick-fix solution but the problem - besides the unrealistic time of recovery - is that AVREs and the like will also very likely get stuck in that hex, as the other tanks are stuck in there for a reason - if I imagine my ongoing PBEM... my opponent would wish for such an engineer vehicle, he's got about 15 tanks and IFVs stuck in stream and swamp hexes but I am quite sure he's get even more angry as the engineer tank would not make it out of the second mud hole,,, therefore I don't see a solution for this to be done (UNLESS you mod the engineer tank into a Heavy Helo class and give it cyrry capacity=255... + the approbriate SLOW speed... THEN it would be possible to recover anything without getting bogged down!! But this could also be abused easily,,,

Another issue:
I am not sure if this has been mentioned - but in MBT an SPWW2 it's often the case that already-won battles carry on endlessly because the enemy - esp. if it's in a PBEM - still has 1-2 squads left and is annoyingly hiding them and trying to recapture a V-Hex. I understand that there's this force-broken thing embedded already but IMHO this should be tweaked. Hunting down routed crews may be fun in a game or two but it's annoying and an enemy who holds one V-Hex out of 20 with a few men still has lost the battle and is should be over earlier - not so for the AI, though.
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Charging into swamp, mud or stream hexes will get you immobilized in the game and in real life and if you do this in real life the nice boys from the tank recovery corp are not going to run out in the middle of a battle to pull you out and yes, I understand some players would like to have the ability to "recover" tanks but it's not going to happen. If you are REALLY worried about immobilizing your vehicles in one of those type of hexes STAY AWAY FROM THEM and if you just cannot resist entering one stop before you do and wait until the next turn to cross and then only one hex at a time to keep your speed down. OR if the resulting immobilizations still annoy you then turn "breakdowns" off in the preferences and you will be able to run through those hexes at any speed you want without fear of immobilizations. Engineering vehicles are not immune to terrain and must be handled with care as well

There are ample historical examples of tanks and engineering vehicles being immobilized in wet, muddy terrain. Read anything on the Battles conducted in the early part of 1945 rear the Rhine. I have read accounts of battles were virtually every Sherman, Flail and Kangaroo ended up stuck.

We had a "surrender" option in the code in the past so PBEM games could be ended when one side decided they had enough but we found people could use it to cheat and it was removed.
There will always be people who feel the games drag on too long and there will always be people who like the opportunity to try an fight their way to a lesser defeat in situations like that and there is no way to make both sides happy.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 27th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Corporal

Shan is on a distinguished road

Don,

I get your point concerning the recovery of tanks, and it's quite clear that this cannot be represented in the game.

What people, including me, tend to forget, is the time span represented by one battle. Everyone who has ever seen a real-life heavy recovery operation will agree that it takes time to get a badly stuck tank out of there - even if you have the latest Bergepanzer Bueffel at the ready. Modern recovery tanks nowadays do have quick-recovery systems that enable them to hook up a disabled tank quickly, without anyone having to hop off, but this probably only works on a road but definitely not for the tanks stuck in swamps and creeks that we are facing in the game.

Has the issue of bridge-laying tanks ever been brought up? I guess this one will be impossible, too...

About the other thing: A surrender option would be nice, too bad it had to be deleted - but I was talking about those situations where a player SHOULD surrender but still carries on fighting with 3-men squads and crews --- is there any way to make the force status more transparent while playing? As fog of war prevents me from knwoing my enemy's status, that one should be left out, but having an idea about my own force's status would be great (morale-wise and so on - how close am I to a general rout?)
Old March 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Captain

thatguy96 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Shan said:
Has the issue of bridge-laying tanks ever been brought up? I guess this one will be impossible, too...
As one of the many people who have experimented with what can be done in this regard with the existing code, I would imagine that it would require whole new classes to be formed and many many lines of code to be written.

As it stands now it can be done...sort of. A bridge would have to be treated like a barge, and a AVLB as a barge carrier. The bridge has to be allowed to move, because while barges can unload onto shore hexes without actually moving onto them, the barge has to be on a shore hex to load. What this means is that even in a single hex of water, the barge has to be able to move one hex to complete the operation, as would a "bridge."

As it stands now pontoon bridge sections that can be used as barges in real life are about the farthest one can model accurately. Beyond that, what you'd essentially have is an armored barge carrier if you tried to model an AVLB, and you'd have to change the stock barge to a bridge, which would also screw with other routines.
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Sergeant

JohnHale is on a distinguished road

Quote:
DRG said:
Charging into swamp, mud or stream hexes will get you immobilized in the game and in real life and if you do this in real life the nice boys from the tank recovery corp are not going to run out in the middle of a battle to pull you out.

Don
You mean like some of these:

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008...ts-part-2.html
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM

Corporal

Randy is on a distinguished road

With regards to the mobile bridges, there is one already in the game! Its in the Israeli OOB. This is the Timsakh heavy amphibian, which is the same as the M2 mobile bridging ferry. In real life you have a group of them in a river connected by ramps so that vehicles can travel over them. In the game they have to be used as heavy amphibians which carry the equipment across a river.
Old March 29th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

There is also a GSP ferry in the icon inventory if you want to make use of it.

http://www.galope.com/mike/eng1_info.htm
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Corporal

Randy is on a distinguished road

Great, I just saw it as icon 3228. That would be good to see those lined up across a river. Thats what I love about the Steel Panthers series of games whether it is SPWAW or SPMBT/SPWWII, this game is limited to ones imagination. It is very versatile!!
Old April 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Corporal

Epoletov_SPR is on a distinguished road

To add ability to destroy a barbed wire bombardment of artillery.

To limit use no partroop infantry and others units in parachute landings.
For example, having increased death rate at landing.
Old April 18th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

@paratroops, unless I'm mistaken, it already works that way.