.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer Greenskin hype/brainstorming thread....

Maybe a solution would be to pick which of the two, between forest goblins and night goblins, you're most enthusiastic about, and make that Nation first, and then once you have a working Nation, decide whether it's worth it to make the other Nation, or whether the working one needs the additional fleshing out.

That way, you'll have one tightly crafted, well-oiled Nation done, and can then make more educated choices based on what you've learned in the process.
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

You're perfectly free to modify those snotlings as you see fit, cutting down on their numbers, changing their colours, rearming them or anything else you feel like.

On that note, might I perhaps borrow some of the larger greenskin sprites, slap on some chains and such, and make them slaves for my Chaos Dwarfs? (Which should be finished enough get their own thread in... a month or so, at this rate. Progress!)
Old October 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

I absolutely understand where Sombre is coming from. That is originally how I wanted to do the mod; at the time I thought it would be cool to make forest provinces allow the recruitment of forest gobbos and savage orcs etc., and mountain provinces recruit blackorcs, night gobbos and such. That is not possible however and since it is Fantomen and not myself doing the sprites, I don't want to commit to something that will be even more time intensive as this is already. I honestly believe Fantomen's sprites are what will make this mod, I'm just trying my hand at coding.

That being said, I feel the way I have the mod planned now is the most effective way to capture the feel and flavor of the greenskins. I really just want to get this mod made so that Orcs can finally be an option to play. Perhaps later me, Fantomen and Humakty (who has offered to help me with any special modding commands I may need to use) can split the Greenskins into 2 seperate nations. I just don't want Fantomen to feel crushed by the weight of doing even more sprites.
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:01 AM

Sergeant

Oh, nearly forgot...

Calchet. Personally I don't mind if you re-use the orc sprites for your chaos dwarf mod. Fantomen is the proper person to answer that though, I suppose. Though I can't see why he would say no.
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM

General

If you can make a Forestform unit, and a Mountainform unit, and make each of them irreversable (in other words, cause them to shapechange into a unit without Forestform/Mountainform), then I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to recruit a single unit with both a Forestform and a Mountainform, so that it permanently becomes a different unit, when recruited in a forest or a mountain.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Sergeant

you've blown my mind Honeybadger!! I don't quite understand what you said, but I'm intrigued enough to see if I can make something like that work.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:26 PM

General

Basic Unit = "Teenaged Orc". Teenaged Orc doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. But, his inattentive yuppie parents have a lot of money. In the fall they go camping in Seattle (forests), and in the spring they ski outside of Denver (mountains). Teenaged Orc has a girlfriend in both Seattle and Denver, and both of them want him to move in with them
(they don't know about each other). Teenaged Orc has a choice to make. He could either become a ranger in Seattle, or a ski instructor in Denver. His parents, however, want him to become a famous surgeon, and will cut him off if he drops out of college. He doesn't have a car, so he's going to have to backpack his way across the country to either Seattle or Denver. Once he leaves, he can't go back and live with his parents, and it's too far to switch back and forth.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Sergeant

LOL that's all I can think to say to that Honey.

Any ideas on unit numbers that are available? I was thinking of just copying the unit numbers of a seperate mod not related to any of the Warhammer nations. Same with weapon numbers, spell numbers, etc.

Also, how do name lists work? I suppose I could just about copy/paste Sombre's name list from Ogre Kingdoms.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

The only problem with that is, once one of the basic variety goes into a forest or a mountain, it would turn into one of the other forms. That would seem a bit strange. Also, mountain shape isn't completely available for modding. I guess you could copy one of the new jomon units?
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

There is no mountainshape is there? Just forestshape and plainshape. So you would have two possible outcomes on recruitment (savage orcs/forest goblins in forests, normal orcs/goblins elsewhere), and no possibility of the bug rdonj describes. You couldn't have mountain specific night goblins though.

I like the idea of goblins and orcs recruited in forests coming out as forest goblins / savage orcs very much! I think it would be funky.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs