.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:48 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer Greenskin hype/brainstorming thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calchet View Post
I'd personally do something like add an additional "Get stuck in!" bonus weapon to orcs, usable once/battle, to represent their opening bonus - that way, it can be fine-tuned for power with more precision than slapping 'charge' on their regular choppas.

How exactly would I go about doing something like that? I was thinking charge just because I wanted them to have some real Umph! packed into their opening attacks. But if there is a different command I could use, then please, do tell! I didn't notice anything else in the mod manual.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:00 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

What you'd do is make a new weapon, named "Get stuck in!", "Orcy Charge", "WAAAGH!" or whatever seems good to you, and give it an #ammo value of 1, and the #bonus flag. (Said flag makes orcs with forged weapons retain their charge attack.)

This means the Orc will attack an additional time, using this new weapon, the first time it gets into contact with an enemy in each battle, then proceed to fight using only its normal weapons.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Sergeant

Sounds good but I have to ask cause I'm still a bit noobish...how is doing the above different than adding #charge to the weapon? I guess what I mean is, why that way and not charge?

Thank you for explaining the code commands as well, Calchet.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Corporal

Calchet is on a distinguished road

With #charge, you have no control over the effectiveness of said bonus, other than by increasing or decreasing the mobility of the orc.

With a separate weapon, you can increase or decrease the chance of dealing damage, the damage done, and any other properties of the attack if you like, and even do something like have it scare enemies through a #secondaryeffect of 255 (Area Fear). (This might be over the top for regular orcs, but the charge of a boss causing fear might be fun and thematic.)
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

They also always get the attack, whereas they'd lose the extra opening damage from charge if you gave them a forged weapon.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:33 AM

Sergeant

ah, ok I see. I like this idea then and will see what I can come up with.
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Sergeant

Almost forgot, I need ideas on start sites. What gems they should produce, units, etc.

Hopefully on my next 2 days off, I'll have completed a bare bones dm file of just orc units, but I'd like to add start sites to it as well.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM

Private

Lurker_at_Threshold is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandarLover View Post
Almost forgot, I need ideas on start sites. What gems they should produce, units, etc.

Hopefully on my next 2 days off, I'll have completed a bare bones dm file of just orc units, but I'd like to add start sites to it as well.
What paths are you planning on giving the mages?

I think the capital only sites should be idols of gork/mork respectively each would give 1 F and 1 N gem. There could be a separate badlands or black wastes site that produces 1 D gem and allows for the production of black orcs. Of course that is if you want to make black orcs capital only.

As far a summons go, I think most of them should center around nature magic, particularly for squigs and trolls. A possible high level summon could be to call a Waagh or great Waagh which would produce large quantities of orcs and goblins as well as a couple of commanders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lurker_at_Threshold For This Useful Post:
Old October 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM

Sergeant

OK a few more questions to get people's reactions on some more ideas. Note, once Okin sends me his notes and/or code that he has already done for his orc mod, some of these may change, but I want some feed back regardless.

The Orc Choppa: Would it be thematic if I give it the armor piercing command? It is a fairly nasty weapon but I felt it would help make the Orc units more tactical, ie. orcs with choppas can pierce armor and orcs with Bashas will have the flail tag giving them bonus against shields.

Black Orcs: or specifically, their armor. I know they are the heavy armor unit but I feel as though I should give them custom heavy armor, since giving an orc "full plate armor" doesn't sound as interesting as "Large metal bits with lottsa' spikey bits" does. It would be the same stats as full armor, just a more colorful orc description.

One more modding question: I know it's possible to give a nation an affinity toward cold or heat scales...is the same possible with other scales? Like, I know Abyssia's income is unaffected by death scale, or so says the mod manual. I'd kind of like to give Greenskins an affinity for Turmoil for thematic reasons and I noticed the #turmoilincome command in the General modding section of the manual.

All in all, I've got the recruitable orc units written out. I'm leaning towards making Orc shamans stronger in Death and fire, while Gobbo shamans will be stronger in Nature and Fire and also making the gobbo shamans the 'better' national mages, seeing as how they are so cunning and their minds are more receptive to Wauugh! magic. I'm holding off a bit until I see what Okin has to inspire me more, and for Fantomen to finish up the Black orc and Orc shaman sprites before releasing a 'beta' version of this mod.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Sergeant

Almost forgot, I made the bonus weapon as suggested by Calchet but it doesn't appear in the unit description screen. It's getting late here and I can't think why it's not showing, it's listed in the unit commands. Ah well, so sleepy.