.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM

Sergeant

Lavaere is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs vs. Vets II: Mysterio's Revenge, EA, CBM, Game running.

well for next game I was hoping to be skaven.
actually with my solo games in MA I normally add Skaven, Nehekhara, Lizardmen, Arga Dis. along with CBM and Standards. with no overlaps that I've seen so far
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

I agree with QM, and think these type of games should be vanilla nations, but with the CBM mod.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum_mechani View Post
Sombre made quite a few mods CB compatible, though I don't know offhand which ones. Is this for the next newbs vs vets? Because personally I'd kind of like to keep it to regular nations.
Yes, I am considering a few carefully selected and well crafted MA nation mods due the number of proposed players in NvV III.
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaere View Post
well for next game I was hoping to be skaven.
actually with my solo games in MA I normally add Skaven, Nehekhara, Lizardmen, Arga Dis. along with CBM and Standards. with no overlaps that I've seen so far
Well that's good, apparently they all mesh well, you can't tell by looking at the descriptions on the Llamaserver MA nation mod section though.
Old May 17th, 2009, 01:52 AM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Is it really a Noobs game, if the Noobs are playing mod nations? I don't think so.

There are plenty of other games out there to play the mod nations.

I occasionally post something useful.
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road

I think the purpose of this game is to teach noobs what to expect in a normal game so they can be competitive.

For example, CBM is in the majority of games, so it makes sense. I'm not sure some of the extra spells mods or the mod nations make sense for the purpose of this game until you would come to expect them in a regular game. Sure, it would be a great team game, but it wouldn't hold true to the purpose of noobs vs vets anymore.

And on the subject of EK-seeking rocket launchers that work in storms, that's pretty much what EKs are for everything else
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quite true vets, yes I generally agree. I wanted to keep it to regular nations and maps that are included with the distro. I would point out though that some of the better mod nations are often used in "normal" games and are no more difficult to play than the vanilla ones. Again, I am considering it due to the number of players to allow more choices, most likely they'll be snapped up by the vets who'll again have the optional first choice. My question though is what are the best MA CBM compatible mod nations? In terms of balance, completeness, design, etc. I noticed for instance that some of the Nehekaran commanders had a base movement of 4. Some say there are some that are overpowered?
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM

Sergeant

TheDemon is on a distinguished road

I think the best way to balance nation selection: each team sends an ordered list of all the nations. Vets gets their top choice, then noobs get their top remaining choice, then vets get their top remaining choice, etc until each team is full. This way the "power" nations get distributed between the teams. After all the nations are distributed this way, players on either team can swap for any non-picked nation, first come first served.

As far as mod nations go, I haven't looked at, played with or against any. Not sure what's balanced or compatible.
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:56 PM

Sergeant

Stretch is on a distinguished road

I know we're looking for pretty noobish noobs here, but it'd be nice to get people who are actually going to participate in our forum discussions and planning. Perhaps we could emphasize that in the signups for the next game? My first 3 battles were vs. a member of my own team who refused to look at the forum to see what indies I was taking, or respond to ingame messages.

I think 7 or 8 people were using the forum, but we had at least 2 that I'm not sure checked it once. The 7 or 8 people who checked were far more effective than the 2-3 that didn't check.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
I know we're looking for pretty noobish noobs here, but it'd be nice to get people who are actually going to participate in our forum discussions and planning. Perhaps we could emphasize that in the signups for the next game? My first 3 battles were vs. a member of my own team who refused to look at the forum to see what indies I was taking, or respond to ingame messages.

I think 7 or 8 people were using the forum, but we had at least 2 that I'm not sure checked it once. The 7 or 8 people who checked were far more effective than the 2-3 that didn't check.
Yes we are looking for real fresh noobs, some of them may not have even read the basic info about not password protecting your pretender. Formoria did not participate and it cost them. Rest assured I will be much more strict on communication and coordination next time. This will be posted. Also alternates will need to provide an e-mail upfront. You'll find all of this when I put up my proposed settings.