Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
MP EA Oceans of Land - (Noob game) [running] - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old March 26th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Corporal

Yskonyn is on a distinguished road
Default EA Oceans of Land - (Noob game) [running]

OCEANS OF LAND

Summary
-Map: Cradle of Dominion (already included in vanilla Dom3)
-Amount of players (max): 10
-Mods used: CBM 1.6 (Get it here!)
-Aim of the game: To let noobs get their feet wet in MP.
-Nations banned: Ryleh, Atlantis, Oceania, Helheim, Vanheim, Tir-na-nog, Niefelheim, Hinnom, Mictlan
-Turn processor: llamaserver
-Also please take a look through the Llama FAQ:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=35160
-Turn time start at 24hrs, accomodating for longer intervals when game progresses.
-Admins: Yskonyn, GrudgeBringer
-Who should join: Noobz, Internediate players, Vets who won't play agressively, but pose a helpful attitude towards the noobs in- as well as out of game.
-Who should NOT join: People looking for a no-holds-barred war, experienced players looking to win easily or agressively, people who definately want to play with nations that are banned; there will be no discussion.
-The game will have a master password
-Do NOT password protect your pretender to avoid problems when needing to sub a player.

-Diplomacy is allowed. Use PM on this forum or e-mail for inter-player contact, so be sure to enable private messaging in your profile! Use this thread for reports every player should or must know (like alliances or treaties).
A bit more on diplomacy; I am in favour of roleplaying when engaging in diplomacy, but I am aware there are lots of players who don't like RP, so this is not required. But it does create a nice setting and adds to the atmosphere.
Because we are playing with new people I think we need to have a few diplomacy rules. In my last game diplomacy turned out to be highly unreliable which was quite confusing for me, so let us abide by some simple rules:
1 - Allies are not to be backstabbed. If you want to attack your ally, you first have to break your alliance with that player before attacking. So this means there is a five turn buffer limit between declaring the end of the alliance and the first attack. This is to prevent the new players from being confused about what happened. And it gives the players' mind some rest about who to trust for now (see rule 3).
2 - On the matter of NAP's we need to keep it simple; IF the NAP is registered here on the forum it is binding. If you have secret agreements (ones not made public here on the forum) they can be broken at your own risk.
3 - This does NOT rule out deceit. You can still catch your victim quite unprepared, so deceitful acts are allowed, but remember to abide by rule 1 and 2 at all times. If there's some sort of disagreement between two players please contact me or Grudge.

To clarify a bit more about the simple rules of diplomacy concerning Alliance or NAP's:
Alliance: The 'buffer' I was talking about -in rule 1 above- was the amound of turns you cannot commence hostile action against the other player after you have broken an alliance.
So if you want to cease having an alliance with player X, you notify him or her, then the 5 turns start where you cannot attack player X so he has some time to prepare and settle for the broken alliance.

NAPs: You agree with the other player how you want your NAP and if its then registered on the forums its binding, if not you're on your own.
How many turns you want the NAP to hold is entirely up to the two players to decide amongst themselves.
In addition:
I thought if two players would agree on a NAP-5, for example, this was a non-agression pact for 5 turns. After this you either renew or you cease to have it.
It turns out that the most common use is different:
If two players agree on a NAP-5 those two players have a NAP until either of them cancel it, but then those 5 turns start where you are NOT allowed to attack still. Only after the 5 turns have passed you can commence hostilities.
For a NAP-3 this would be three turns and so on.

Players
1 - Marverni (Yskonyn)
2 - Arcosephale (GrudgeBringer)
3 - Kailasa (13lackGu4rd)
4 - Caelum (Euarchus)
5 - C'tis (Swan)
6 - Yomi (Dark Kitty)
7 - Pangaea (SciencePro)
8 - Tien Chi (Silence0)
9 - Ermor (Doo)
0 - Sauromatia (earcaraxe)

Description
Oceans of Land - The vast possibilities that lie in these lands to lead your nation to greatness are endless. The Cradle of Dominion, as these lands are called, are a vast and diverse territory. There are 199 provinces to conquer and there are 22 sea regions. 'Oceans of Land' also hints at the one map rule of this game: no water colonization.

This game aims to provide a gaming evironment where noobs are able to try things with their nation and get to know the game a bit further without fear of being obliterated by good experienced players early on in the game.
Therefore we have decided to ban certain nations for balancing purposes (see above). Also water construction is not allowed, therefore all water dwelling nations belong in the banlist for this game. Agartha may still be chosen, but remember you cannot settle on water provinces.

Veteran players are accepted under certain conditions;
You do not plan to steamroll and wage war agressively right from the start of the game as this would defeat the 'introductory nature' of this game.
As a vet you may only choose a weak nation and you are expected to engage in tutoring or at least pose a helpful attitude towards the noobs. You are not in this game to win or show how much powertricks you know in Dom 3. Again, this game is aimed for noobs to get their feet wet.

Grudge is admin as well as me. He is experienced, but therefore plays as a weaker nation. He has been very helpful so far in aiding new players to get their bearings in Dom 3.

Glad to have you!

Last edited by Yskonyn; May 8th, 2010 at 07:09 AM..
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EA Oceans of Land - (Noob game) [enlisting open]

wanna try Mictlan in a MP environment as opposed to SP.
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:11 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

that is the oddest list of banned nations i have ever seen. you realize that TNN is probably in the top 5 weakest nations right? and you allow the heims, intermediate nations, yet allow mictlan and lanka? its your game, so i won't argue, just curious why
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Lama View Post
that is the oddest list of banned nations i have ever seen. you realize that TNN is probably in the top 5 weakest nations right? and you allow the heims, intermediate nations, yet allow mictlan and lanka? its your game, so i won't argue, just curious why
He didn't ban the heims. I think what he's doing is eliminating all the glamour nations to remove nations with strong stealth abilities. Of course, there's still a lot of other nations with stealth... here is where my logic breaks down
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

I agree with Frozen - I'd ban Lanka long before I banned Vanheim. And Banning TNN is hilarious.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

And No CBM.. it's quite risky..especially in peaceful environment.
Old March 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Lama View Post
He didn't ban the heims. I think what he's doing is eliminating all the glamour nations to remove nations with strong stealth abilities. Of course, there's still a lot of other nations with stealth... here is where my logic breaks down
I meant he did ban the heims! Wow, screwed up there.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old March 27th, 2010, 01:35 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

No Cbm is an oversight, it will be included and Mictlan WAS banned just not listed...Abysia was on the bubble also depending on who took it...

His idea was to try and get noobs in and not have stealth or water nations..Lanka for a noob is hard to play so he left it in.

I think all those that think that his game is skewed in a direction are probably too good to play in it anyway....

Look guys..he started D&G and most of the noobs where gone in a flash, so he decided to make some balancing rules...they may not be the best but they aren't bad considering he is a noob himself.

And tir being weak is maybe laughable. but it is a stealth nation by definition so it is out. He will only take 4 vets and if he feels they will unbalance the game he will not accept them...C'mon guys, give him a break...he wants some vets but wants them playing weak nations to give the noobs some learning and test your prowess.

If you have any suggestions please make them known and he will consider them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrudgeBringer For This Useful Post:
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road

It's a noob game. It's what it is and he set it up. It will play out in interesting ways. And Squirrelliod, Frozenlama, and rdonj. You guys just are NOT noobs. I'm a noob!
Old March 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM

BANNED USER

Maerlande is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah! And Grudge is an evil player. He does evil things like honor and integrity. What the hell is Dom3 coming to if that kind of carp is allowed?