.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM

Corporal

jfp3 is on a distinguished road
Default Q: Home hit with Misfortune +2 on 5th turn...

...should I just start my new game over again or is this just a "fluke" temporary infliction?
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:42 PM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Q: Home hit with Misfortune +2 on 5th turn...

"home hit" as in what? vampire count/bogus/troglodytes even that actually conquered your capital or other things like plague(kills off 1/5th of your population, huge if on capital) or lighter things like unrest, etc...?

also, I assume you're talking about SP, in which case it's really up to you. but as long as it's not something very very unlucky(as in you lost your capital to indies on turn 5) than I'd say keep going, cause these things can also happen in MP, and than it's harder to just quit because you suffered an unlucky event(even the plague), but well, if you lose your capital on turn5 than you probably can't take it back quickly either. if you can than obviously keep going, if not than I guess giving up is alright in that situation...
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Corporal

Well I'm just easing back into D3 after a long absence. Don't want to get going on a long term SP game if I'm basically castrated at this early stage with a hugely unlucky random event -- when I can start over with not much loss. If I were 50+ turns into the game I'd not really consider restarting. And in MP of course one must tough it out for the sake of the other players.

But 5 turns into the game? Yeah I'm thinking if it's a permanent hit to my Home province I should probably "take a Mulligan".
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM

First Lieutenant

again, it depends on what this unlucky event is... it also depends on why you're playing SP. if you just enjoy playing SP and smashing the AI than go ahead and restart. however if you're playing SP in preparation for MP than I'd strongly suggest toughing it out, so you get used to these things as they'll happen more often than you might think in MPs...
The Following User Says Thank You to 13lackGu4rd For This Useful Post:
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM

Corporal

Well I don't remember the exact name of the event unfortunately, but it's caused 2 of the "Misfortune" icons to be added to my Home Province. I don't know if it's only temporary. And I think my population dropped some 25%. Can't be sure of this though as I wasn't really tracking Pop Growth.
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:01 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Sounds kind of like you got hit by a baleful star? The misfortune is not permanent in any case, and will go away over time as your dominion reasserts its natural tendencies.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:15 PM

First Lieutenant

getting hit by baleful star on turn 5? and in SP? is that even possible...?
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

There's a protection period, but I think by turn 5 it's over. You can definitely be hit with baleful star randomly in SP. It's both an event and a ritual.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old June 27th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Corporal

Ok it was probably more like turn 7-8 or so...but still quite early for such a bad event eh? Oh well. I'll restart anyway because of a few other things I've learned in these past few hours (and I'm installing the CB Mod as well). Also I want to be able to better gauge how good/bad some of these events can be to the overall game.

Thanks a lot for the great (and damn quick!) responses so I can still get going on a decent game today (EST so the gaming day is young!) :-)
Old June 27th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rytek is on a distinguished road

I had the vampire count take my capitol province on turn 2 of an MP game. Caelum PD is so sad it lost to the count while I even patrolled with home army turn 1. The admin rolled the game back... but I was prepared to go on. I had purchased 2 mammoths and was figuring the mammoths plus prophet could take out the count, (who was only one left after the fight)

The worst event I ever suffered was getting the dire boar on turn 2 in your capitol with a giant nation. I couldnt patrol that thing away for a long time.