BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old July 8th, 2020, 12:35 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road
Default Artillery Plotting Without Actually Firing Guns

I've tried to see if this is a subject that has been covered before here in the forums for both MBT and WW2 but couldn't find anything so here goes.

Does anyone use the tactic of plotting artillery support while at the same time turning off the actual guns themselves in the unit view so as to not actually fire them but create a ready mission to use later if the need arises? I do this from time to time during play and I've found it to be useful but the only drawback is that when you play another human it can tip them off as to where and with what you are planning to fire at a later time (at the end of their turn when the rounds would normally hit the screen scrolls to the area, plays the sound effect of the firing, says what units are "firing", but since the weapons were "turned off" no rounds actually hit the ground). This gives your human opponent a warning and I was wondering if this is just a limitation of the game engine or something that might be able to be altered in the future.
Old July 8th, 2020, 12:53 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Artillery Plotting Without Actually Firing Guns

If I want a silent barrage, I simply adjust the prosective impact point a couple of steps so the time to fall exceeds one.

The rounds dont fall so no need to play around with switching weapons on or off.
Old July 8th, 2020, 01:44 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

I do the same as Mobhack just walk it back & forth till go time, occasionally I turn off a couple of tubes on rocket artillery.
Old July 8th, 2020, 02:43 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Another "walk it" here - tbh I dont think I ever even tried turning off all the tubes so didnt know what it does...

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old July 8th, 2020, 09:59 AM

BANNED USER

Karagin is on a distinguished road

I have seen the AI do this a couple of times, the last two times was a longer game and I think they had run out of ammo, so I went with that idea for the first time and then got hit next round. The second time, oh no, I didn't move into that area at all.
Old July 8th, 2020, 05:15 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post
I've tried to see if this is a subject that has been covered before here in the forums for both MBT and WW2 but couldn't find anything so here goes.

Does anyone use the tactic of plotting artillery support while at the same time turning off the actual guns themselves in the unit view so as to not actually fire them but create a ready mission to use later if the need arises? I do this from time to time during play and I've found it to be useful but the only drawback is that when you play another human it can tip them off as to where and with what you are planning to fire at a later time (at the end of their turn when the rounds would normally hit the screen scrolls to the area, plays the sound effect of the firing, says what units are "firing", but since the weapons were "turned off" no rounds actually hit the ground). This gives your human opponent a warning and I was wondering if this is just a limitation of the game engine or something that might be able to be altered in the future.
Never thought about doing this. It borderlines on cheating, if not for the "warning". Still, not sure I see the point unless you are playing with a small map and/or many artillery units.
Old July 8th, 2020, 05:54 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

It is not "cheating" - It is a technique used by artillery in real life, called the "silent barrage". In real life the battery lays onto various predicted points ready to fire on them, but they wait for the forward observer to actually call for the fires to start (in WW2 by radio, in WW1 a rocket or flare).

Useful for a quiet attack onto a position where you think the enemy may well be, but not calling for the artillery fire to start until an actual enemy is found near one of the preplotted targets. Thus the fact of the assault happening is kept quiet for a few minutess or more until the troops actually bump the defenders.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old July 8th, 2020, 07:02 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I also use the same method as Mobhack.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old July 9th, 2020, 03:53 AM

Corporal

Felix Nephthys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Nephthys View Post

Never thought about doing this. It borderlines on cheating, if not for the "warning". Still, not sure I see the point unless you are playing with a small map and/or many artillery units.
The intent was not to cheat but as more of a time saving device I would use from time to time so I wouldn't have to shift any artillery units every turn, I just have to remember not to use the technique during a PBEM game.
Old July 9th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

I didn't say it was cheating. I said it was borderline. Not because it was unrealistic, but because the game doesn't let you plot artillery and have them ready at 0.0 time to fire, without firing. The game makes you move (plot) the artillery even a little if you want to delay them firing. In that sense for me is a bit iffy because the game doesn't let you do it normally.
But, as with any "shortcuts", If the opponent is aware of it, I see nothing wrong with it.
Obviously it is up to you what you do/say or not.