.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old September 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pretender design for Ulm enigma of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Yellow View Post
But as I said earlier, I'd probably go with an awake or sleeping rainbow type pretender if I were to play them again. I really like the steel/shield/warrior maidens and think you can get a decent expansion based on them rather than the slow steel warriors.
Sure, you can get a pretty solid expansion using these. I was going with an o3/p3/g3/l3 imprisoned oracle in one mp game, and during testing I managed 27 provinces and 2 forts with a third on the way. So technically speaking, a fairly impressive land grab is possible. I'm not sure that's the best way to play ulm in a normal game, but...
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:18 PM

First Lieutenant

Torin is on a distinguished road

I made a more pragmatic build that some may like more.

Wyrm dom 10
Blood 1
O3 P1 C3 G1 MF2 M1

Good overal, very very fast early game and blood magic once indies weares off.
Tough dom 10 seem much. perhaps it will be good to get scales in conquered provinces.

Every player i seen using this nation tought hordes of ulmish barbarians. But other approaches could be good too.
Old September 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM

Sergeant

Ferrosol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post

Sure, you can get a pretty solid expansion using these. I was going with an o3/p3/g3/l3 imprisoned oracle in one mp game, and during testing I managed 27 provinces and 2 forts with a third on the way. So technically speaking, a fairly impressive land grab is possible. I'm not sure that's the best way to play ulm in a normal game, but...
the problem is not so much expanding with your troops (ulms troops are pretty good at that) it is taking on other players with your troops. Most of them are at best only average and all have the crappy MR that makes them vulnerable to pretty much anything. Add to that the mages being tricky to get decent randoms and you see the problem. Personally I would recommend taking an awake rainbow to hit conj and construction early and using geared thugs to do your heavy lifting.

Edit a half assed build thrown together Awake Great Enchantress Dom6 O3C3Mis2M1 A4E3S6D3N1 is the kind of thing I am talking about.

Last edited by Ferrosol; September 3rd, 2010 at 04:01 AM..
Old September 4th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Dragon strategy isn't bad. But I'd say the nation is wrong for it.
I was relatively successful with a like Dragon, but I played Tien Chi who 1) has a lot of Water mages able to utilise all the gems you'll gather; 2) has absolutely no problems with magic diversity; 3) their sacred are cavalry with already high Defense and a good map movement.
And as was said, with all this you will have no gold whatsoever. And you aren't likely to be successful with less Dominion, as infantry sacreds need more numbers than cavalry...