.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 10th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Second Lieutenant

B0rsuk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why no Save game Feature

Oh, but it does have Save game feature. It just doesn't have the glorious Save/Reload.
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

restart game is not a bad idea, really.
Old January 10th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Private

Ubik is on a distinguished road

It is the developer's prerrogative to design the game as he sees fit. If you do not like the game without a save game feature, you don't buy it. You should have tried the demo before buying it.

Also, I must add I DO play Oblivion with "perma-death". If my character dies once, its game over and start again for me.
Currently, I am a 17th Lvl Imperial roaming around the map and having a blast being cautious and wetting my pants at the least sign of danger... oh! And I play with mods that make the game significantly harder.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:46 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Newthought said:
More Importantly, do I really have to argue for Save Games?
You do on a fanboy infested forum.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Graeme Dice said:
Quote:
Newthought said:
More Importantly, do I really have to argue for Save Games?
You do on a fanboy infested forum.
True. Well actually the only place you wouldnt have to argue it would be a players forum that is just as "infested" with fanatical short-vision gamers. There are plenty of forums that make their effort to gather those instead of "fanboys".

Of course you would also have to debate the point on any forum with people who are willing to see both sides, or people representing both sides of anything.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Wish_For_Blood_Slaves said:
restart game is not a bad idea, really.
I like that. We have an option to restart the turn. Id like an option to restart the game. Im not sure if the game saves all of the settings in a way that would allow that but it would be nice to use the same map, same number of AIs, same starting race for me, etc etc and create a new game from all of it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Corporal

Evil Dave is on a distinguished road

I think a save/reload feature would make Dom3 easier to learn. I know I reloaded hand-saved games a lot when I was just starting with Dom2. Even with the interface improvements, I think it's still hard to understand why you lost a battle, or how to do better, w/o trying it a bunch of times.

But OTOH, Dom4 could have a "hardcore" mode that doesn't allow reloading a turn multiple times.

Have too may pretender files to keep track of? Use catgod to view them.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Private

Cafard is on a distinguished road

Personally, while i was bothered too by the lack of conventional 'saves' when i started with Dominions 2, i grew so fond of that lack of feature that i'm actually thinking of it as a feature now.

I admit it is frustrating when you start, and lose stupid battles and have your pretender killed too often. But that quickly taught me to be more careful in battles, and led me on playing far more interesting games where i had to recover from big setbacks. Had the game allowed me to reload, i'm not sure i'd have played though these games, and i might have grown bored of winning too easily.

But then, i'm 'computer-savvy' enough to manually save games when i feel i hold an interesting situation that i want to be able to replay later with a different strategy. And i'm grateful that the game's filesystem is trivial enough to allow that...
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:53 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
True. Well actually the only place you wouldnt have to argue it would be a players forum that is just as "infested" with fanatical short-vision gamers. There are plenty of forums that make their effort to gather those instead of "fanboys".
Would you care to explain your insulting implication that anybody who wants a save and reload feature for a game is a member of some ill-defined group known as "fanatical short-vision gamers"? I'm not sure why you want to include yourself as a member of the "limited saves are AWESOME!!!!" group. After all, every single argument that people make about why a lack of a proper save feature is a good thing eventually boils down to the person whinging that "I lack the willpower to not endlessly save, so it's a good thing that developers take saving away from everyone else as well."

Quote:
Of course you would also have to debate the point on any forum with people who are willing to see both sides, or people representing both sides of anything.
You know Gandalf, there's no point in debating anything with you, because you refuse to take any kind of position. You simply waffle that every position is equally valid. That's pure sophistry.
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

I dont think Ive ever been able to turn on "iron man" in games that had a no-saves switch. And I dont have the willpower to NOT ruin the game if the game saves are easy. The fact that its possible but too much effort to do unless Im really eager for it is perfect for me.