.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old November 6th, 2002, 07:13 PM

Corporal

Bamse is on a distinguished road
Default Some rules questions:

These are some assorted things that seemed unclear to me, but that doesn't mean I consider the rules to be at fault. I could have missed something.

1. If units in several adjacent hexes are activated at the same time by a leader, and units from these several hexes move, must they move 'together'? Can they move separately and to different destinations? If so, do all those movements take place in the same impulse?

2. When is opportunity fire declared? After a movement is completed? If so do you put the moved units back into the hex along their path where the opportunity fire is to have taken place? Or must opportunity fire be declared at the moment that the moving stack enters the hex where opp fire is to happen?

3. In the section on 'spotting' I couldn't tell whether the spotting unit is supposed to do a DR or a dr.

4. By the way, might it be better to use the convention 2dr / 1dr for clarity?

5. Can a unit choose to destroy a support weapon in the part of its rally phase when it otherwise shifts weapons around, picks up or drops them? This might only be of interest to shaken units about to be captured...but since they're shaken they might not have the presence of mind to spike their weapons... still...

6. If I enter a hex with a lone enemy sniper, does it stop my movement or can I continue right through it?

6.1 Perhaps snipers could have extra concealment abilities? Such as being able to fire without automatically being spotted. Or being able to 'hide' while enemy units move through their hex? Perhaps these special abilities could be dealt to snipers, like the ability cards?

7. If I fire on a hex from a distance, are all enemy units in that hex targetted and must face separate damage checks? Or am I just targetting one counter at a time? (it's been almost 20 years since I played Squad Leader, so forgive me )

8. Could scenarios be designed which are taking place in 'fog' (where all hexes are treated as 'degrading')?

9. Could scenarios have time based events, such as 'on turn 5...' rather than just LOS and entrance triggered events?

10. Entrance triggered events might be problematic in scenarios if the player is wary that it might be something bad that happens. Playing double blind, if entering that hex isn't absolutely necessary he might just avoid it. This could be a reason to prefer turn based events. But I guess this all depends on how the scenario is thought-through.

11. Are the modified sniper rules in some previous threads on this forum the standard which will go into the full game?

12. If I spill beer all over the game can I get a free replacement?

13. Does smoke degrade or block LOS?

14. Are all the leaders going to be bleedin' occifers? What about the good NCOs?

15. When the anaconda module comes, will there be predators armed with hellfires? !!!

[ November 07, 2002, 09:14: Message edited by: Bamse ]
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:10 AM

Corporal

Default Re: Some rules questions:

Hi!

Some more questions coming up:

1. 'Multiple attacking units'. The rules say : Only units in the same hex may fire simul -- and only at the same target. Additional units add 1/2 Fp...

What does this mean? If a leader activates several hexes, may the various hexes all fire together at a single target hex?

Which units are the 'additional units' which must halve their firepower. Are they in the 'same hex' or is it units from adjacent hexes being activated at the same time?

2. Smoke. Can a unit lay smoke in its own hex instead of in an adjacent one?

3. If a unit moves into a hex where there are stationary unspotted friendly units, do they also become spotted? (it would seem so, since the status of being spotted seems to apply to a hex as a whole)

4. I'd like to split a squad into 2 half squads in the rally phase. May I?

5. When leaders modify damage checks on the IFT, do they influence the die roll, or the morale of the checking unit? This is important since the morale is multiplied to compare with the die role.

6. If a sniper gets a 'hit' does every unit in the target hex have to roll for damage in succession? I.e. in game-reality is the sniper targetting the whole hex with a series of shots? If so, what if the sniper opportunity fires on a unit who has just moved into a hex with stationary units. His hit roll is postively modified by the moving units having been moving, but the other units in the hex have been stationary. This seems strange.

7. Is the new standard that if a sniper rolls a 1 its an automatic hit, and a 6 its an automatic miss always? Only against enemy snipers? Not at all?

8. If units are locked in melee since the preceding turn, must melee combat occur in this turn? If so, who initiates it, the person who entered the hex to start with? Either, once they decide to activate that hex? Does that mean that melee combat can happen twice per game turn in the same hex, as each of the players in turn activates those guys?
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:28 AM

Corporal

Default Re: Some rules questions:

A few more about ambushing:

1. Do the VC ambush and the NVA ambush differ in that the VC get an initial non-simultaneous melee attack, but the NVA don't (though they still get triple firepower)?

2. In a non-simultaneous ambush, do the US units then fight back, but after first removing any dead unit, or must they wait until the next turn, or their impulse to fight melee back?

3. Vietnamese units attempting to ambush must move and are likely to be exposed to opportunity fire from 1 hex distance by the unit about to be ambushed just before it enters their hex.

So while this seems to model the mobile, hastily deployed, ambush of the LZ-Albany (Ia Drang) sort, it doesn't seem to model the stationary ambush. Might ambush apply equally if US units enter a Viet unit to melee, when the viets were BOTH out of LOS and unspotted, and are not under a movement marker, at the beginning of the US impulse?