.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Coliseum

Old January 17th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Private

MogulMogul is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for a V3.0

Liking the game but as a fan of mogul games I can see how the game got a 6.4 reader score at gamespot when the concept is clearly a 9 or 10. I don't like gamespot, btw.

One of the reasons I enjoy mogul games is because of the combination of character development and speedy macromanagement. RPGs have a lot of character development, but bog down in micromanagement. Micro is necessary in RPGs because you spend so much time dealing with those micro-differences in combat where you need to win every fight. This game doesn't require you to win every fight, so you can get away with less micro.

That said, I propose some features that add more character customization, increase macromanagement, and generally speed up the game while delivering more content.

Suggestions -

* Add a weapons/armor system - I recommend a rochambeau-type with slight bonuses system rather than a pure +2 to hit 1d8 dnd-system. Weapons and armor really allow you to customize your character and gives you that RPG feel. Add damage to armor and prize matches and you have a totally different game. Also, I recommend rochambeau because otherwise it'd be too easy to just pick the best weapon and give it to your fighters, no thought required.

* Cut down season days to 30. 40 takes way too long. An average baseball mogul season using minimal micromanagement takes 20-30 minutes. A season in coliseum takes 2-4 hours. If you want to see how your guys progress and deal with the contracts and all that, it really is a long period of time to wait, and that should be the bulk of a "gladiatoral management" game.

* Have an option to skip the text-fighting and show immediate results - I know people love the fight dialogue, and I'm not saying dump it. An option to skip directly to results, would benefit macromanagers and rapid character developers like myself.

* Add a Dungeon/Quest Training option - I agree with previous Posts on training being too slow. How about in addition to speeding it up, add a new training method where you send your fighter off to a dungeon or quest. At a dungeon/quest, the fighter is gone for a set number of days, but will have much higher odds of gaining statistics albeit risk being injured/killed. With the weapons system, they can take back loot they find in the dungeon.

* Add beast fighting in the arena - Usually gladiators fight beasts in addition to fighting other gladiators. If you're running low on cash, why not schedule an additional fight against beasts with a second fighter. In this case - the beast usually goes for death, so you have to pick a fighter with great odds to win the fight.

* Increase size of free warrior pool and retain old warriors in the pool - When finishing the season and re-signing players, those that refuse to sign are removed from play forever. Besides being thoroughly disappointing, this breaks the age factor. i.e. What's the point of hiring a 16-year old warrior, if he decides not to re-sign, so you never reap the benefits of his golden years.

[ January 18, 2004, 05:28: Message edited by: MogulMogul ]
Old January 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for a V3.0

Wow, thanks MogulMogul...some more great ideas! I especially like the "quest" training idea. Hmm..i'll have to get that one down for sure.
I actually considered the "quick sim match" to results option for your fight for a day, but thought the combat was pretty neat and that no one would use it. Maybe I was wrong...

The coming Version 1.5 patch will allow you to adjust the season lengths to 20, 30 or 40 when you create a new league, so that is solved.

Sometimes old unsigned or auctioned off warriors are retained secretly, and on rare occasions do emerge again in the league, not liking you a whole lot naturally (they get a bonus when fighting against you). One reason not to treat them too badly while they're with you...

Weapons/armor: it's been explained why this isn't in there -> it would imbalance the game, especially using a random type system. You step into combat with plate armor and a huge halberd, and they step in with a short sword and leather armor. Gee, who's going to win? The game was designed to match up warriors stats directly, not their equipment. It really wasn't intended to have a huge RPG slant.

Beast fighting: Lion matches will be added to the Version 2.0 patch, later on, where you'll have to deal with a lion as well as your opponent.

Thanks for all your cool ideas!
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Private

MogulMogul is on a distinguished road

Ok yeah I can see about the weapons/armor. How about all weapons/armor are 1 time use and at most they give you say a +10 to strength (for weap) or +10 to durability (for armor). It's pretty negligible though.

Glad you've already got most of those ideas already done/planned out.

Additional suggestions after a bit more play -

* Cut down on the number of days for enchantments. When you have 2 enchantments and both suck and run 20 days, it really gets annoying. A 10 day max would keep it interesting.

* Make free agent pool / enchantments change every few days - seeing the same guys/enchantments gets old and ends up being skipped features

* Add some expensive underhanded stuff - It'd be cool if you could pay to assassinate/injure/disease a particularly tough gladiator. It adds a whole new layer of strategy (train my guy or try to kill his toughest opponent, but what if I get caught?)

Keep up the great work.
Old January 19th, 2004, 09:11 PM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road

* Cut down on the number of days for enchantments. * Make enchantments change every few days

These are both being added for the soon-to-be-released 1.5 patch.

The third idea is a good one that's been suggested, along with "bribery" of some type; it's on my radar for the Version 2.0 patch.

Thanks!