This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old September 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM

Private

TrYoseph is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Some comments on the demo and StarFury

Ok, but a solo hit nets you 8K or so, while a 3 hit against uberbadass ships nets you....12-14K?
Maybe its just this demo or something.

Anyone who has the real game care to enlighten me on that?

Colonel Yoseph

(BTW: I tested that station thing again with a saved game, had the exact same thing happen, but I think I did accidently hit the station with a torpedo. Here's the thing though - one hit and the station turns on you? That's kinda nasty.)
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:36 AM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Like I mentioned earlier, before you set out it might be a good idea to earn some extra money doing other things to build up your ship a bit. The demo is limited in this regard, but the full game has a lot more planets and I think better balanced mission rewards. A good strategy is, if possible, get behind the larger ships and pound away and be sure to pick up their cargo once you destroy them. Remember to repair the damage cargo items before applying them to your ship or selling them.

Since you didn't pick up any illegal cargo that you know of (most common friendly-fire reason), it might be that you've accidently struck the starbase or one of the surrounding satellites with a weapon hit. If it's just once, I think you can just move outside of their weapons range and then back and it should be ok, or quickly dock at the station - I think that works too but I don't often hit friendlies by mistake.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:48 AM

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Another quick note before I depart for bed:

You can use 1-4 to fire weapons from the keyboard too. I usually use the mouse for left-right turning only.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the mission rewards are kind of screwy. I was just hunting down random pirates for a while.

And the station is reasonable, IMO at least.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Private

Lord_Devi is on a distinguished road

Odd, I never had any ramming problems at all. I think in all told, i've only collided with another ship twice(and it was my fault both times =). I'm playing on second hardest diff btw, and already have my cruiser and more money than I know what to do with - so it's been alot of playing time so far =)

My issues with the game are few really.. but I do agree with the opinion that it shouldn't be entirely 3D. However I do think it would be nice to assume I'm not trying to ram a planet or whatever when I go near it - something like an animation of the ship going under/over it would be just fine I think(with the exception of asteroids probably - as they are supposed to be (m0re?) difficult to navigate.

So far I'm really looking forward to having the full game - I'm quite anxious to see what can be done with modding it =)
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Captain

Alpha Kodiak is on a distinguished road

One way to make money and get better equipment for your ship early on is to hang out around a terran fleet. Let them fight the pirates, slip in for a shot when you can, and pick up the goodies when ships die. Once all of the bad guys are dead, get a cargo mission to the next system and, after delivering your cargo, repeat the process. Early on, your ship can't stand up to the ships you will encounter, but that is almost logical, given that you are just starting out and they have been around a while. Use the friendlies that are around to help you build up.

One other thing that I have noticed on collisions, the AI is much worse at preventing collisions when time compression is on. Just recently, a Terran carrier, cruiser and destroyer all collided when I turned on time compression to get across the system quickly. This was in the early game when I was in a Mark I destroyer. I picked up so much stuff that I was able to upgrade to a cruiser. (Well, I didn't have to write the letters home to their families.... )

Ursoids of the Galaxy, unite!
Old September 24th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Private

Lord_Devi is on a distinguished road

After a couple of upgrades from crappy cargo runs(multiple runs to the same system) I just got all my cash by killing pirates and aliens. I did almost no missions after the first few cargo runs. I found I got alot of money quite quickly by merely privateering.
Old September 24th, 2003, 07:45 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Heck, since I'm using a landline for downloading, I'll probably get the game before I finish getting the demo. Sounds very interesting though. Can't wait to play it.